George Foreman vs Jerry Quarry

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dynamicpuncher, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    So after just watching Jerry Quarry vs Ron Lyle, a great performance from Quarry BTW in what could be seen as his best performance.

During this fight there was talk that the winner would fight George Foreman, Quarry beat some of the biggest punchers in Lyle, Shavers, Mac Foster, could he do the same to Foreman ?

Mark Dunham likes this.
  2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Conventional wisdom says no, but y'know, track records ought to mean something. Quarry has a better record against punchers than Foreman has against Quarrys.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Based on how well Quarry did against big come-forward hitters, it would stand to reason that he might have beaten Foreman. Problem is, for some reason I’m not sure I see it playing out that way. While Shavers, Lyle, Foster and Mathis were all guys who could punch, the simple fact is, Foreman was better.

4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Yeah i agree Quarry had a nice counter punching style and a good set of whiskers, i think if the Quarry from the Ron Lyle fight shows up. This is more competitive than maybe alot of people think.

Sangria, JWSoats and cross_trainer like this.
  5. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Here's the rare one where I say a young George loses, but old George wins.

cross_trainer and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  6. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    On paper, a good argument can be made that Quarry stands a decent chance of emerging the victor. But in addition to being a beast of a puncher, George had a good jab and decent boxing skills as well as a good chin. To win, Quarry would have to establish control from the beginning and maintain it. He tended to wilt when things weren't going his way. It's hard to imagine Jerry controlling the action in the early rounds as this is where George was at his best. If Quarry could get past the early rounds and take George into the late rounds conceivably he could gas Foreman, but stamina was an issue with Quarry too, at least in the early part of his career. All things considered I envision this fight as an early TKO for Foreman, although it would be exciting while it lasted. And it is a match that should have happened!

7. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Direct quote from Goerge Foreman's twitter

Jerry Quarry was pretty good at handling Big Punchers; Boxers on the other hand gave him problems:paterson, Ellis and Ali beat him. Shavers,Foster & Spencer,Lyle he beat.He scared me---George Foreman

With that said, I would still favor Foreman personally but as you can see from George's quote, Quarry was not someone e he wanted to fight.

8. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Plus his occasional tendency to brawl or fight the wrong fight. Or so the received wisdom goes.

JWSoats likes this.
  9. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Quarry was good at taking out big punchers. I don't blame George.

10. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    This match up has been doing the rounds for far to long, not buying Foreman " avoiding " " he scared me " " wouldn't want to fight " nonsense, the Foreman of 71/73 was a monster, a truly scary fighter, up until the Ali fight was talked about being invincible, would reign for a decade, no way was he scared of Quarry ( he might have said as much ) but really ! .
    As for the match up, seeing it go similar to the Chuvalo contest, ok so I appreciate George was not a counter puncher as Jerry could be sometimes, but both were genuinely tough men, both had very good chins ( Georges was a ATG ) both were strong and didn't lack courage or fortitude that said, I feel Foremen would use the same tried and trusted formula of, pushing his opponent time and again, keeping Jerry on his back foot, in defensive mode, whilst unloading huge roundhouse lefts and rights, and a uppercut that would inflict serious damage, witness Georges cheek after a few rounds, as I have always maintained, very few HWs of any era could have hung with this Foreman, and points as to why I have Ali as my No 1. Just my opinion fellas. stay safe guys,

11. JohnnyBriton

JohnnyBriton New Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2021
    I’m one who doesn’t give Quarry much love. Foreman with a KO. I just can’t allow myself to buy this.

swagdelfadeel and Mark Dunham like this.
  12. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    i see nothing from Quarry that would make me believe he is physically superior. He wasnt fast, footwork was about average and had no physical advantages

It would probably be like the Chuvalo fight

Pat M and swagdelfadeel like this.
  13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I see Jerry winning a few battles but losing the war.

He’s game enough and would be competitive in stretches, landing some good stuff and giving George trouble, but then comes the big basher whaling away.

About the time it’s becoming apparent that Foreman is too much for Jerry, a nasty cut over Quarry’s eye from George’s jab ends it in round five.

Liston73 and Sangria like this.
  14. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Foreman shoves him around and throws uppercuts with both hands when Quarry comes in to do anything. He gets knocked down and/or busted up early from the uppercuts and the ref waves it off within 3 or 4 rounds.

Mark Dunham and swagdelfadeel like this.
  15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Who has Foreman lost to who fought remotely like Quarry?

Pat M likes this.