George Foreman vs Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sweet Science, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

OK, but I´m not one of them. Weight/ size is only an advantage, like let´s say chin or so. I would also favour Frazier to KO Wlad pretty early...

2. anut

anut Boxing Addict banned

Apr 4, 2007
    I AGREE.........PS RAZOR RUDDOCK WAS AFRAID OF LEWIS SO WAS GOLOTA.............FOREMAN WOULDNT BE.....I KNOW LEWIS WASNT AT HIS PEAK AGAINST BRUNO.....BUT CAN U IMAGINE WHAT FOREMAN WOULD DO.....:smoke:smoke:smoke:smoke

3. Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I find it ammusing, the way glass chin is tossed around.

Patterson had a glass chin.... maybe....in that he was always on his ass...jack inthe box....Thor's hammer did Mahen in too. 2x Liston, 1 time Ali. I find it ammusing to find out Joe Louis had a glass chin too...
    Lyle is not thought to have a glass chin, nor Frazier, nor Max Baer. Nor Liston.
    About the only people with out a glass chin was Grim, Chevello and Ali.

The jorney man McCall....was good enough to get the title shot before he cracked up.....:hey it's afterwards he became nothing...yet as a old nothing, many want to watch a Good Fight with him and Peters.
    An Out of Shape Louis playing around gets caught with a great lucky punch...In the 70's the fight with McCall would not have been called off so early...especially as Champ. Who knows if he could not have survived the round.

I'm an old fart, and can remember when Foreman got as much respect as Liston, before he made his money comeback. As soon as he lost to Young he got laughed out of town. With his retirment, was well about time..any one who lost to Young wasn't much.....
    Can't help it, they were as stupid then as now. Young was a man tainted as Ali's sparing partner...so was Holms tainted in the beginning.
    Believe it or not, there was a time when it was thought the man wans't really very good to be a sparing partner of some champ. Instead of being thought good enough to be a sparing partner of this and that style who was good enough to sharpen the Champ and get whopped around with out being allowed to whopp back.

Was Holy faster than Forman..yes....actually there was a time when Holy had more than adaquate power and carried that power long.
    Tua was also a wrecking ball.
    Would Louis have had any problem with Fraizer...no..IMO too small.
    In Fact Frazier came into the first fight fat, dumb, and happy....in that Foreman hadn't fought anyone.
    So lets get back to Tiny Foreman:bbb who in his day was so huge at 217 to 220 pounds that the Word Huge like Liston(212) got whiped out of the books. Lennox was 20-30 pounds bigger, and not carrying fat, out side of Rahman, and Klitichko...there he was going to fight Donut Face, and didn't need to be in good shape.
    Foreman vs Lennox would have been a good time machine fight.

I have often been wrong, favoring Archie over the Rock(my parents favored teh Rock), Patterson so often, Liston three times, Frazier vs Foreman, Foreman vs Ali, Tyson vs Douglas, Spinks vs Tyson, Lennox vs Rahman 1.
    I've been right too....
    Now back to the Jab, Rahman 2, that Jab was world class from a very fit Lennox...it was such a great surprise to Rahman, that he had no idea what the hell was happening...now that jab is so much better than Foreman's it is not even funny. Forman had a good power left, almost on the level of a Klitchko, not on the level of a Liston. But it was a telephone pole and not a rapier and or a telephone pole that Lennox had.

So I have Tiny Foreman:hi: losing, in that it is a boxing match and not John Wayne chin slapping contest.

4. anut

Apr 4, 2007
    IM SORRY U FEEL THAT WAY.....I DONT......GO WATCH LEWIS/BUTLER....LEWIS LOOKED LIKE ****...TOO PASSIVE....BIG DEAL HE BEAT MICHAEL GRANT(LIKE FOREMAN WOULDNT)....HE BEAT BOTHA....HE LOOKED GOOD.....BUT FOREMAN WOULD FUK BOTHA UP TOO AS FOR TUA MAN TUA WOULD BE MADE TOO ORDER FOR FOREMAN AND WOULDNT LAST 12 RDS......LEWIS IS VERY LUCKY HE FOUGHT A SHELL OF A MIKE TYSON WHO CLEARLY HAD NOTHING LEFT **** HE COULDNT EVEN BEAT HIS SPARRING PARTNER (DANNY WILLIAMS....HE HELPED TYSON 4 THE FRANCIS BOUT).....BUT THATS A WHOLE OTHER THREAD.....LEWIS IS A TOP 10 FOR SURE BUT HE WOULDNT BEAT FOREMAN.

5. LennoxGOAT

LennoxGOAT Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Amazing how people are looking back at Foreman like his **** didn't stink. And people tossing around glass chin do realize that Foreman hit the canvas more times than Lewis?

Lewis would own Foreman. Please see the Ali, Young, and even the Morrison fight for the types of different gameplans Lennox would incorporate.

Lennox is bigger, faster, and stronger.

Lay off the 70's gatorade fellas....:hi: :hi:

6. anut

Apr 4, 2007
    FOREMAN HIT THE CANVASS........BUT HE GOT UP FROM THE CANVASS.......YES HE LOST TOO JIMMY YOUNG BUT THATS CAUSE HE PLAYED WITH HIM WHEN GIL CLANCY TOLD HIM TOO STAY ON THE GAME PLAN.....PS OSSIE OCCASIO MADE LEWIS LOOK LIKE ****.....LEWIS IS LUCKY HE DIDNT FIGHT YOUNG ON THE SAME NIGHT.:smoke:smoke:smoke:smoke

7. anut

Apr 4, 2007
    LENNOX IS ONLY 1 INCH TALLER .....FASTER I AGREE....BUT STRONGER NO WAY........I SEEN HIM SPAR WITH JEREMY WILLIAMS...LEWIS PITY PARS TOO MUCH......2ND FIGHT WITH HOLY HE LET AN OLD MAN COME VERY CLOSE......PRIME FOREMAN WOULD HAVE KNOCKED OUT A 37 YR OLD HOLY...........PS PRIME HOLY WOULD EASILY BEAT PRIME LEWIS.....BY DECISION.

8. Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 11, 2004
    6 foot 3 1/2 which was very very tall for 1970. 220 was very HUGE.
    now that is light, and average. Liston was Huge at 215...
    Vs 6' 5" which was considered then very very tall for Lennox's time.
    The difference in heaght is 1 1/2 inch plus 2 inches in reach, for a total of 3 1/2 inch total reach, which in top levels of boxing a hell of a lot.

Now very tall is 6 foot 7.... Down the road we will have a real tallented powerful 6 foot 9 or ten fighter and we can then talk of Tiny Lennox.:!:

Having never seen Lennox, and knowing he had been Ko'ed just before Butler...I expected the shaky first round....but after that I was impressed at his smooth quick "Ali" motion ...of course Butler was just a jorneryman, but Lennox impressed me. Later I thought he could have done more and be more brave.....but you just don't know how many times I'd said the same about Ali....in fact, Lennox was braver than Ali in his more offensive approach.

But the reason we have horse races is a difference of opinion....so who do you want, Whirlaway or Gallant Fox...rainy or dry track.

9. JimboDs

JimboDs So-called expert Full Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I don't like to resort to name-calling usually, but you are either a moron or a teenager talking completely out of his ass.

First, you can't adopt the Ali strategy against Foreman unless you have an Ali-like chin. Lewis isn't even close.

The Foreman Morrison fought was over 40.

Foreman wasn't prime against young. His head was all ****ed up.

And with regard to who hit the canvas more, Foreman got knocked out once. It was after he punched himself out against Ali. Lewis got knocked out by bums. All of the other times Foreman hit the canvas that I can remember are against Ron Lyle, which was a fight he won. And by the way, if Lewis fought Lyle he would have been KO'd.

Lennox is bigger, not faster, and certainly not stronger. Your argument that he had equal power is that he knocked a couple bums out? Foreman brutally KO'd Joe Frazier and Ken Norton (both fighters who beat a near prime Ali). Experts who've seen everyone have said Foreman hit harder than Tyson and Liston.

70's cool-aid? You don't have a clue what you're talking about. If there's nostalgic old men here, I'm not one of them. I wasn't alive in the 70's, but any idiot can watch film and see the level of skill and athleticism has declined sharply (with a few individual exceptions). There's a pretty simple reason for this. The best athletes among demographics that used to go into boxing are going into football and basketball instead because if they don't make it as pro's, they can at least get an education. Also, their chances of success (though still small) are greater in those sports. You have to realize there's much more opportunity in those sports now than there was in the 60's and 70's. The heavyweight division is now left with over-sized and undisciplined fighters who don't have the same level of athleticism as the division once had. Lighter divisions haven't declined because a 150 lb guy can't play football, basketball, or even baseball no matter how athletic he is.

10. NickHudson

NickHudson Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Jimbo, your analysis on sports demographics from the 70s through to the 90s, including the drain into basketball and gridiron away from boxing, is something I have commented on before in this forum, but noone has run with the ball.

I think there is a large grain of truth in it. The most athletic yanks are not into boxing anymore, its a real shame...

11. JimboDs

Sep 21, 2007
    :lol:

Couldn't touch Ali? Ali said it was the hardest he'd ever been hit. Every blood vessel in his arms was broken. Ali survived because he had a great jaw and ropes looser than a 10 dollar *****. Moorer has nothing to do with a prime Foreman. You can't mention young either. When someone says 'prime' it has to mean physical and mental or (as is necessary with Foreman) the best combination of the two, which was Foreman before the Ali fight. You put that George Foreman in the ring with Lewis and it's no contest. I can't believe i'm actually debating this.

12. Blacc Jesus

Blacc Jesus . Full Member

Aug 30, 2007
    :clap::clap::clap:

13. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Sensational post!

14. JimboDs

Sep 21, 2007
    He hit him in the head too, though so much was taken off because Ali was able to lean back so far on the loose ropes.

By the way, what's Ali's motivation for lying about Foreman hitting him the hardest he's been hit?

I can't understand how anyone would think Lewis would have a prayer against George's power. He doesn't have anywhere near enough handspeed and lateral movement to keep a great puncher off-balance. He would get destroyed.

15. anut

Apr 4, 2007
    SO U ARE SAYING SINCE VALUEV IS 7 FEET AND WEIGHS ABOUT 320 LBS HE WOULD BEAT LENNOX RIGHT????