George Foreman vs. Leon Spinks.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Jan 14, 2018.

1. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I don't even picture the Spinks management team===and they did like money and didn't really try to make optimal fights===signing to fight foreman.

If DKP could have made the fight back then, I'm certain foreman comes out of his 1 year retirement and slaughters Leon. Almost all the hitters are going to tee off on Leon just like Coetzee did.

2. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Well, Ali was better in Norton 3 than he was in Spinks I

Put Norton in with Ali in Feb. 78 and he beats Ali worse than Spinks did.

I will say that Leon did put in a great performance in Ali I and fought the fight of his life. But, it was an undeprepared and aged Ali.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    With his style and awkwardness he might have some success out boxing Foreman.....

Wait a minute.... wrong Spinks.....

steve21 and Saad54 like this.
  4. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    The 1977 or 1976 version of Foreman could lose to Leon, if George Benton made the right preperations.

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    That's a far fetched could...as in I COULD win the Powerball jackpot twice in a row.

6. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004

7. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    That might be the over on this fight. Seriously, ANY version of Foreman - even the ancient one who"lost" to Shannon Briggs - annihilates Spinks. This is a mismatch of the worst variety.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  8. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Before the 1st Ali fight Spinks had the aggression and volume to give Foreman a tough fight, but after the first Ali fight Spinks ruined himself with drugs.

Titan1 likes this.
  9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Leon Spinks would aggress himself right into a killing field of the worst variety. Quite honestly, his younger brother would have a better chance. Although, I'd except him to get stopped as well. But if I had to pick a Spinks to upset George Foreman, it would be Michael.

GOAT Primo Carnera likes this.
  10. Jackomano

Nov 22, 2014
    I have to disagree. If this were older Foreman than I agree that Foreman would take Leon apart, but Foreman as a young man despite his chin and power could be neutralized and I think Spinks had the ability and conditioning to decision Foreman. Its too bad though by 1979 he was already ruined by drugs. I like Michael Spinks and he overall did have the better career due to abstaining from drugs, but Leon was easily the superior fighter when he wasn't drugged up.

I don't put too much stock in Foreman destroying Frazier twice, since Frazier was a fat slob in both fights and barely trained after the first Ali fight. Peralta and Forte showed effective aggression and speed could neutralize Foreman.

Titan1 likes this.
  11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm sorry. I just fail to see it. People seriously argue that a young Mike Tyson, who by the way, was Leon Spinks master in anything boxing related, would have lost to Foreman due to styles. Yet, Leon Spinks who was smaller than Tyson, didn't hit as hard, didn't take punishment as well, wasn't as fast or accurate or as defensively sound would have a reasonable chance at beating Foreman?

I don't see it.

12. Jackomano

Nov 22, 2014
    I'm not so sure Tyson would lose to Foreman based on styles. A lot of people compare Frazier's style to Tyson, but Tyson and Frazier fight nothing alike. Frazier was an excellent inside fighter that relied on his inside right hook to the body to setup his trusty left hook. Tyson on the other hand was an excellent midrange fighter that could attack from all angles when he was in top form with both hands.

Tyson would never be sitting in the danger zone for Foreman's uppercuts like Frazier was. I could see a prime Tyson outpointung a prime Foreman. An older and more patient comeback Foreman in the late 80's would be a lot more dangerous.

13. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I think 3 rounds just on the style of George being relaxed.

14. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    jackamo, u think Leon was better than micheal? I think Leon was good, maybe very good in his prime, non stop punching machine. But micheal was definatley the better boxer. Better defence, through punches correctly, I think more power. I just think Goerge would land on him easily. If it weren't for goerges great power, yea, I think Leon would definatley outhustle him

15. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Im not saying he'd lose either. Just that Leon Spinks would have an infinitely less chance of getting the job done than Tyson would. Barring some freak accident or something.