George Foreman Vs Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sizzle, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Foreman's reign was shortened due to losing his belt to Muhammad Ali, a fighter who is commonly labeled as the greatest of all time. In his only two title defenses however, Foreman destroyed both Ken Norton and Jose Roman in devastating fashion. Therefore, it's difficult to call Marciano's reign more impressive, given that he never actually faced a fighter like Muhammad Ali, nor defeated a fighter of the quality of a prime Norton in such destrucitve fashion

2. Street Lethal

Street Lethal Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    But Marciano was easier to hit.

3. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Destroying Roman and the glass-chinned Norton is now more impressive than Marciano´s title reign? OK, your opinion...

4. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    First of all, I would pick Holmes to beat Foreman anyway, and secondly he wouldn't likely do it easily given that Ali was better than Holmes. Also, where do you come to the conclusion that Marciano's chin was better than Frazier's? The only person to truley ever take out Joe was Foreman himself. Marciano never fought a puncher of George's calibur and in fact, was floored and injured by fighters of far less punching ability.

5. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Lyle was a great puncher. He was 6'-3½" and 225 solid. He also had decent boxing skills when he wanted to showcase them. Plus Foreman was rusty from inactivity, and when your rusty, you will always act react differently to punches.

Yeah, but Lyle didn't have to reach up to get to Foreman like Marciano would have to. Marciano would have to get inside which would be impossible to do because he will be eating punches on the way in which is disaster for Rocky. Lyle didn't have to get inside because he was the same size as Foreman which made it possible for him to slug on the outside, which Marciano could never do to a guy as big as Foreman.:good

6. C. M. Clay II

Sep 23, 2006
    If he almost lost to Roland LaStarza then it's not wisest thing to say that he would NEVER lose to Young.

Sure he looked terrible against Norton and "one-round" Roman, huh?:yep

7. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Do you consider Norton as a weak opponent? In 50 pro fights, he was stopped mainly by Shavers, Foreman and Cooney. Two of those guys are commonly debated by many as being thee hardest puncher in history, while the third fought Norton when he was 37 years old. Are these your reasons for labeling Norton as chinny? besides, it's not like Foreman struggled with Norton or Roman. He utterly destroyed them. Marciano was floored by a 38 year old ex-lightheavyweight, nearly beaten by a 37 year old Walcott, and defended his belt against Don Cockell of all people.

8. C. M. Clay II

Sep 23, 2006
    Ha! That wasn't a spelling mistake. That was simply the wrong information!:lol:

9. C. M. Clay II

Sep 23, 2006
    Even though I don't agree with that, that's not such a terrible deduction to state.

The better chin thing is debatable. I'd say it was about equal. But you're right that Marciano had better two-fisted power.:good

10. C. M. Clay II

Sep 23, 2006
    Then why not mention the glass-chinned Walcott, the glass-chinned Charles, and the glass-chinned Moore?:roll:

11. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

When was Marciano exactly injured?

12. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006
    Marciano always knew how to come inside, that wouldn´t a problem for him, you sound like Foreman had a great, fast jab or something like that...

13. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

I saw both LaStarza- fights in contrast to you, and he beat him both times. I didn´t say that Foreman looked horrible, but his short title reign against one very bad opponent (for a HW World Title) and a for punchers tailor-made Norton isn´t that impressive like Marciano´s...

14. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

English is my 3rd language, sorry for making sometimes quick mistakes...

btw, I also write a lot quicker than you...

15. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

All three had better chins than Norton.