George Foreman would not make it undefeated from 1937 to 1949

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Oct 17, 2020.

1. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    ALI WAS 32-5 AND 20 KO'S VS RING TOP TEN AND Champions, Thats one helluva resume.
    The Great Joe Frazier WAS 10-4 (7 KO) SO YOU SEE THOSE 32 ALI WINS WERE HUGE.

2. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Jimmy Young had a nice run, but was not a puncher and no way would have had the record Muhammad did vs his opponents, Young paid the price as a sparring partner for the best during his career (Frazier-Quarry etc) and sadly was very impaired at his demise . he got into the top ten beating Garcia, Lyle and a Shavers rematch Draw. The Ali fite, lyle, foreman wins and a close 15 rounder vs Norton, and young had a heck of a career in his own right.

3. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Young couldn't have had the record Ali had in terms of overall career. He certainly wasn't a puncher but still put a tired and outclassed Foreman on his ass.

From 74-78 Ali and Young performed pretty evenly against the same opponents. Even if he didn't get all the official results as the popular Ali, he joins him as the only man to best both Lyle and Foreman. And I believe Young deserved the nod in their meeting even if it was an ugly fight.

4. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What if he got gored by a 2,000 pound bull?

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Carnera at 6'7 260 pounds would be too big and too strong for the 6'3 220 pounds Foreman. 4 inches taller and 40 lbs of muscle heavier.

6. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    :lol:

:sleep:

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  7. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    A jaded, dehydrated Foreman put himself on his ass, i.e. he fell over.

This doesn't speak to an awful lot.

Put Young in the ring with Frazier and Foreman during 1974 and then in with Frazier again, the year after.

I wonder how he'd have done at that stage. Especially, if he'd fought Ellis, Foster, Quarry, Patterson, Bugner, Norton x2, from '71 to '73.

I'm not sure he could have even made it through that kind of schedule.

When you consider that Ali's meaningful career was over by 1975, a comparison between Young and Ali, during '74 to '78 is a loose one, at best. It's a moot observation, with little to no bearing on the thread topic.

8. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    It is interesting how message board fans seem to push the idea that once a fighter is over 200 lbs, size magically no longer matters.

Being 205 certainly didn't help Holyfield fight on equal footing with Bowe.

Foreman typically had massive size advantages and struggled hard against Lyle's reach and power. While I think Foremen would best Carnera I don't think it would be an easy fight for him at all.

9. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    I don't see anyone capable of beating him, despite him not being the most skilled boxer out there.

10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Abe Simon
    Buddy Baer
    Tony Galento

11. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Good one. They don't stand a chance, especially the fat bum Galento

12. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    And yet, being 196lbs seemed to help Joe Louis just fine, against the 260lbs of Carnera, later remarking, "Carnera had nothing."

13. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Could've but he wouldn't. George was kind of on a self destructive path himself in the 1970s. He started to believe he was invincible. That alone would prevent him from running the table.
    It would be just a matter of time. He doesn't train well, no focused, gets in a dogfight and runs out of gas.

14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Good point. I used to hear about these great Middleweights in Philadelphia who were just meaner than junkyard dogs. I would ask what happened him? Either it was he got shot or he had too many Philly Gym Wars.

15. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Yes it did not make sense to get beat up sparring everyday, your noggin and your body only has so much, look at Ali, Accumulation of pros that are impaired are not bashful at letting it all go in the Gym. Foreman among a few smart fighters' did not get beat up in the gym. George came back like gang busters after saved the punishment for Actual bouts. (Which he pretty much dished out)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020