George groves injury update

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Suspect.chin, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    He tweeted this...

“This week underwent a 6 week post-op CT scan on the injured shoulder which I’m VERY pleased to confirm has healed perfectly. All united and good to proceed as planned! So a July 7th @WBSuperSeries final is possible provided a 1 month extension is granted. ”

Hopefully the tournament organisers will now get their independent doctors assessment done and grant him the extension.

Accurate, Rock0052, mcvey and 2 others like this.
  2. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    If they don't the whole thing has been near pointless..

3. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Wonder when he will be able to train?

4. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Personally i would duck the WBSS and go striaight into JamesDeGale unification fight. More money and another title. And a VERY winnable fight for george who is declining SLOWER then degale who looks shot to pieces.

I suspect it would be a wembley sell out 80k people both from London, and potentially generate more money. If he can long out the injury and then finally pull-out he can set up degale for Nov time.

5. Draperys

Draperys Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2017
    There’s a lot of money in the WBSS final too and the chance to get the Ali trophy, the smith fight is very winnable for him and would still allow him to fight Degale in November time

Rock0052 and Scissors like this.
  6. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    the cruiserweight one was far from pointless though

7. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    No of course just meant if they - rule Groves out then the SMW would have been a waste.
    De Gale groves might sell out the 02 but it wouldn't do 80k at Wembley if with Sky hype. De Gale isn't a draw. I expect De Gale to take another fight seen as a gimme maybe someone like Abraham who now well past his best but would be winnable or Brehmer or Chudinov. All respectable fighters but without having to get in with the elite.

Groves can beat Smith and then rematch is still there should De Gale come through. It may also give De Gale a chance to work on his stamina and rest his shoulder. He showed a bit of a jab in Truax 2 but no power with it and not much in the way of combinations. You would have to expect Groves to beat this version of De Gale fairly comfortably.

dryzer likes this.
  8. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Surprised so many people are looking beyond Callum Smith. He is huge, can box really well, and has 6” reach advantage with a jab he really likes to use. It’s going to be a very tough fight for Groves, whom is used to having a size advantage.

Rock0052, jonny v, moog and 2 others like this.
  9. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Lol, forgot all about Groves and his injury. :eusa_doh:

10. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm not sure he's still got it to work with. He's looked terrible in his last two fights

zulander likes this.
  11. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Jesus, 6", I never knew that was the difference. Yeah, if he employs the jab Groves will have his work cut out. Hope Groves can do it though

12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    That’s what all the ladies say...

It’s a real spearing jab, too. Groves has the advantage in experience, so this is a big step up for Callum. You just know Gallagher will tell him to stick to the jab though. Skoglund had success with the jab though.

13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    DeGale cannot sell out the York Hall

14. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    because smith hasnt looked too good lately.

15. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    80,000 sell out ?? DeGale could not sell out copperbox and last time Groves fought in London he could not sell 10,000 tickets. It would sell out the 02 but that's it. It certainly wouldn't generate the money of WBSS final. Bigger fight if Groves wins WBSS, but DeGale looks well past it.

boranbkk and Scissors like this.