Gerry Cooney Vs Cleveland Williams

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Nov 12, 2022.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I covered this with the fighting just two weeks earlier factor. A good revenge win over Sly Jones I think it was.

Williams had been pin point sharp in that fight. Banged out Jones in style. Cleveland had been ticking over with road work in the two weeks since then. Without sparring he’s Unlikely to be too far from that kind of form under the circumstances.

By all accounts Williams looked sharp enough starting well against Satterfield anyway.

he absolutely did not lose because of ring rust or poor preparation. He lost because he got knocked out by a dangerous puncher.

Dint forget, Satterfield had lost his most recent fight just 3 weeks earlier himself.

I didn’t say it was just as dangerous. I said that viscusi was no less confident for Bob than he already been for Omilio for an earlier test. This was an earlier step up during Williams development like Keene Simmons had also been. Stepping stones. It represented another test. That’s all.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Oh my buddy Choklab !

choklab and JohnThomas1 like this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    What a WEAPON he is.

4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    And has. :lol:

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    :lol:

choklab likes this.
  6. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Now you're pretending to think that two weeks out of the gym is ideal preparation for a major fight. It's obvious you know that's not true or you wouldn't have been pushing the false narrative that Williams was fighting so often that he was "always ready" for the next one.

It's been a long road to this point, hasn't it? I remember the days when you were refusing to believe that Williams only had two days' notice for the Satterfield fight. Or claiming that he was in training for a different fight when he got the call.

swagdelfadeel, JohnThomas1 and mcvey like this.