Gerry Cooney Vs Cleveland Williams

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Nov 12, 2022.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Gregg was never a Ring ranked contender and everyone knows it.

2. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    And that has to do with his chances against Cooney how?

3. CrouchStanceBoxing

CrouchStanceBoxing Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    But did Williams faved anyone good as them no matter how old are them let alone beat.
    He lost every big fight he was, I don't know why do you like him maybe you have a crush on big black fighters?
    I'm asking did Williams beat anyone close to the level of these guys even when they were old?
    Nope.
    Yes because that bum Satterfield was blown MW and beaten by Jake LaMotta and every fighter he faced.If Satterfield could take him I am 100% sure that Conney would do that even easier.

4. CrouchStanceBoxing

Oct 29, 2022
    Maybe at LHW at HW nope.
    And was he skilled or has good chin as Spinx?

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Daniels and Mitteff were ranked higher than anyone Cooney ever beat.#
    ps Leave the silly insults out of this you've given posters every opportunity to legitimately rip the **** out of you and so far they have refrained,so best not start the personal stuff Mate.

No disrespect intended ,but you dont appear to know much about the game .but this is a good place to learn so maybe listen more and talk less. Satterfield was top ten ranked for 3 years
    He beat the likes of;
    King
    Johnson
    Valdes
    Summerlin
    Holman
    Baker
    Mederos
    Oma
    Gomez
    Barone

That's a resume that shits all over Cooney's and bums don't take those kind of scalps.
    Satterfield was a murderous hitter whose party animal lifestyle let him down.
    Do yourself a favour check him out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think our loyalty to ring ratings has gotten a little out of hand. There have been plenty of times when I disdained alpha ratings but the ring isn’t perfect either. I try doing something else. I assess the quality of the opponent at the time of the fight. In Williams rematch with Daniels, Billy had only won 1 of his last 6 fights which included an early KO loss to the light hitting Mildenberger and a draw with a nobody yet according to some he was still worthy of a top ten rating. Maybe Daniels had some divine power we don’t know of and the fact that he retired winning less than half of his pro fights was considered an achievement in the 60s.
    I’m well aware of Gerry Cooney’s lackluster opposition and have even made my own criticisms in the past but come on…. If we’re going to favor Cleveland Williams in a head to head fight based on wins like Daniels, Miteff, Rischer and an unranked Terrell then I’d say the bias has become quite transparent. As for Eddie Gregg…. Well at least he was winning when Cooney fought him. He entered the ring with a record of 24-1-1-18 with wins over mostly winning comp and his sole loss to a fringe contender.. Jimmy Young was 31 years old and in the middle of two winning streaks. Norton and Lyle were finished and easily beaten accordingly. Williams despite being highly touted as some great puncher was often taken the distance by his best opponents. Can we also talk about Williams being KTFO by a 176 lbs aging Bob Satterfield despite being FIVE years in the pros and having a record of 35-1-1 ? Swag dresses him up to look green in that fight but I’d say that’s a stretch.

choklab and CrouchStanceBoxing like this.
  7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You're correct no ratings are infallible ,but personally I'll take the 60s ratings of the Ring over the 80s ratings of the WBC 7 days a week and twice on Sundays!

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Williams was a 19 years old last minute sub for Satterfield who was ranked no9.
    After beating Williams ,Satterfield went on to beat.
    Holman x2
    Valdes
    Carter
    Summerlin
    Mederos

So he obviously had something left,.
    Aging? He was 30 years old
    A year later he went up in he ratings to number 8, and the year after that he was at number 6.

Mr M ,I've always enjoyed your posts,but,if anyone is stretching things here I think it is yourself .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  9. CrouchStanceBoxing

Oct 29, 2022
    Neither one of those two bums were even close achieve anything good as Lyle,Norton and Young.
    They were never even challenger for champions for christ sake.
    And lost against MW Lamotta and Rex Layne.
    Moore and Charles destroyed him inside of 3 rounds.
    He is a bum with bad chin and good punch, that's it.

10. CrouchStanceBoxing

Oct 29, 2022
    Floyd and Tyson were champs at that age.

choklab likes this.
  11. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    That settles it. :lol:

12. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Everything.

in order to assess a man’s worth in these matchups you compare the best wins.

Because it’s one thing knocking out Graveyard Walters and Baby Booze. Quite another having unremarkable points wins over the long forgotten albeit rated Billy Daniels in relation to Cooney making statements against albeit old but better known contenders.

13. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    What about the WBA? Gregg was rated by them as well. Number 3 WBA. number 9 WBC

14. CrouchStanceBoxing

Oct 29, 2022
    Don't waste a time with him.
    He would find some way to make that not valid.

15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    And that’s your choice. I’ll remember the next time to just look at an old piece of paper rather than to discern what was actually going on !!!