Gerry Cooney VS Razor Ruddock

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Balder, May 11, 2019.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Great post.

2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Really good points, and I feel you're especially spot on in regard to Frazier.

3. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Cooney vs a bigger puncher has no chance:
    This content is protected

Big George missed a lot of wild shots and still connected. This one is way to easy for Ruddock

The Morlocks likes this.
  4. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Interestingly enough, the Cooney corner was better than the absolute ton of trainers Ruddock used. Murad Muhammad when he came aboard was better than the Bobsie twins as far as management goes. Then again, he wasn't with Donovan his whole career either. But as poor of a trainer as I think Valle was, Ruddock didn't have that quality. And he wouldn't listen anyway, so you have that factor as well.

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Who did Ruddick have?

6. zadfrak

Feb 17, 2008
    Tons. He had gone through a number of guys before using Chuvalo. Ruddock and Tillis were the guys with the most trainers I've ever heard of.

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I could be wrong but I vaguely remember Rudduck having Spoons old trainer Philadelphia's Slim Jim Robinson who was a superb trainer.

ETM and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  8. zadfrak

Feb 17, 2008
    not for long. The only consistent guy around Razor was his brother Delroy. A revolving door of trainers for a guy with not too many bouts.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I find it strange Ruddock didn't become champ with all the alphabet champion of the 90s. I mean, Hasim, Bruce, Oliver...it wouldn't have surprised me to see Ruddock beat any of those guys.

As inconsistent and sloppy in performance as Ruddock too often could be, he showed flashes of both power and heart against Tyson. I doubt most of the heavies from that time could have stood up to either of those fights. Just my opinion.

10. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I definitely take Cooney to win this one, he takes some big punches but gets through it and KO's Razor.

11. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    If it takes place in 1986 around the time Cooney iced Eddie Gregg, maybe Cooney takes it over a still-learning Razor. Any time after that Ruddock is too young and too strong for a Cooney who lost to Spinks and Foreman. Interesting that Ruddock's big coming-out party against Dokes was only a few months after Cooney's last fight against Foreman.

12. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    NO Gerrys not adog got him in 5

13. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Two big strong punchers. Cooney is the bigger guy and also had the better boxing skills. I won't judge Cooney on his loss to Foreman anymore than I will judge Ruddock off his loss to Tommy Morrison. Both had seen better days.
    Cooney was just a bit smarter. don't believe he would just stick his chin out there and drop his hands like Ruddock did quite often.

14. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Cooney KO among the 5th and the 8th. If Cooney had had more defensive skills he would have been champion. Look Damiani very similar to Cooney but less powerful.