Gervonta Tank Davis is a special fighter! End off

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Olu G. Rotimi, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Lower level fighters most of whom had already been KOd before.. Barrios doesn't have much substance to his career. He may garner it in future but as of now he doesn't..

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    No it sucks for us as fans who want to see the best fight the best, every time.

If Davis is one of the best, he should fight the best, he isn't, that's why it sucks for us.

3. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    it only sucks if you are admitting that Tank is one of the Best.

boxing is a sport where the best constantly avoid the best unless they just happen to be fighting top tier stablemates to maximize promoter profits.

you want the best fighting the best watch The grabassing UFC.

*it does suck for the fans btw … Boxing that is.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Some gimp defending the best not fighting the best :loel:

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  5. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I clarified this in another thread. I left out a period. 7.3 years. And the years, I meant months, which a simple mistake. And by over, I meant a little under. But that does not make Tank any less awesome and even if I go on to continue watching boxing that long, I still don't think I'm ever going to see this kind of ability again.

kerrminator and Goose like this.
  6. Hanz Cholo

Jul 11, 2012
    nope not defending just explaining the game to those who don’t understand it “Passive” George.

This is nothing new if you follow the sport.

7. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    It’s relatively new in regards to everyone avoiding each other now. Did it happen in the past? Of course. But not at the rate we see now which is also spread throughout the sport as a whole. Before it was maybe a handful of guys with certain opponents. Now it’s just everywhere. It was even said last night “just one loss can derail your career”. Utterly ridiculous that an announcement like that would even be made. People now are so focused on being undefeated that it doesn’t matter who “the best” fight anymore, as long as the 0 is kept intact. Barrios wasn’t picked to fight Tank because people were interested in that fight. He was picked because they knew he was not a threat at 140 like Taylor, Ramirez, Prograis. Guys are going into their 30s with undefeated records, not because they are great all time fighters, but because they avoid the best possible competition.

kerrminator, MagicE and Hanz Cholo like this.
  8. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    You were the ones making assertions that Tank can’t think for himself and has no say in his career. Hmmmn wonder why you would think that? Exposes your thinking patterns especially when you were informed Tank himself chose Barrios which his promoter did not want. I am not prejudiced but clearly there are many on here who are and cry foul when exposed. Why would you think Tank can think for himself and make decisions? Be honest with yourself.

9. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    It isn't about what I amit or don't, Davis claims he's one of the best, therefore he should fight the best.

I much prefer UFC, for this very reason. It's not really possible for a champion to duck anyone in UFC, especially since they monopolised MMA.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  10. Goose

Goose Russian oligarch Full Member

Mar 2, 2005
    :roflmao::thumbsup:

Boxed Ears likes this.
  11. Dodgy Syrup

Dodgy Syrup Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    I haven't just assumed this, or made it up because I want it to be the case.

I've watched footage, read some stuff, seen some interviews, watched the body language in press conferences, and I got the impression that Mayweather was somewhat overbearing and was very controlling.

That he was heavily invested in Gervonta's career and had taken near complete control of every aspect of his life.

From what he invests his money in, to the people he mixes with, to his path to a title, his training methods...everything.

It may be Twink needs someone to take control like this as he can be led astray easily.

It may well come from a place of compassion.

Like i said, it's just a vibe i get.

Whether it's bits and pieces were he is very cautious about who Twink should fight, or when, or the path he should take to a shot etc...it came across as a bit much - most of the time Davis says nothing or nods along.

Now, it may be that he has a huge amount of respect for, and trust in, Floyd, and his accomplishments etc...and he is happy to go along with it.

Maybe, Davis isn't that bright, or good with money, or is just not bothered about the minutiae and the day to day nuts and bolts of managing a career, and Floyd is trying to make sure he doesn't end up retired and broke at 35.

I don't really know.

Like I said, this was simply my impression based upon stuff I'd seen and read.

If I got it wrong, then I'm quite happy to admit it.

My question to you is, are you saying that there is no truth whatsoever to the suggestion that Floyd is controlling Davis career in a slightly overbearing manner?

12. Hanz Cholo

Jul 11, 2012
    Agreed.
    The Mayweather effect.

Maidanas Gun Tattoo likes this.
  13. Salty Dog

Salty Dog i got the guts, but the guts need fuel Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    He is (was?), but is wasting it. Throwing it away. Use it or lose it. Barrios was meh, just bigger and undefeated who got KTFO the first time he steps up to a talented, cherry-picking midget. Who will Floyd allow Tank to fight? Next we'll see him vs the ghost of Mares.

14. MetalLicker

MetalLicker I’m Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    He could be, but he's not there yet.

For a fighter to be special, they have to have to a work ethic to compliment their talent. Davis have talent, but he lacks the work ethic and discipline to become a special fighter.

15. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Floyd discovered this kid with raw talent took him under his wing and promised to make him champion if Tank would put his trust in him. Look at what Floyd has done with this kid he discovered at age 15. Floyd looks after Tank like his surrogate son but because its Floyd people like you think its overbearing. Would you think the same if it was Oscar, Eddie Hearn or Bob Arum and please don't lie? You need to acquaint yourself with Tank's back story and background. Most top fighters have some dysfunction in their background nothing new in that but those who are successful overcome it. Certainly does not make them dumb or stupid and Tank is neither. It is you presuming that makes me question your motives. You know what I don't think you are very bright either and find your presumptions insulting.

Kamikaze likes this.