Gervonta v Loma - best fight to be made in boxing ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Peterp, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    A
    Agreed

2. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    If it happens, I give Davis a chance. He has the power to hurt Lomachenko.

3. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007

Both Crawford and Spence could lose in March and April.

If you had a bit of spare cash to gamble, you would get terrific odds on a double headed bet on Mickey and Amir, and both are very live underdogs.

Mickey is better than Errol, just maybe a bit too small.

And Amir is probably better (definitely faster ) than Bud, just has that dodgy chin.

Both interesting fights.

And if the favourites win in both bouts, then Spence/ Crawford is the second-best fight to be made later this year.

Davis-Loma is the best.

22JM likes this.
  4. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Davis is a terrific puncher, yes, but I'm not sure he has any hope of landing the big stuff on Loma.

Mikey Garcia might be a bigger threat to Lomachenko. Mikey is not a great athlete in the same way that Davis obviously is - but he's got that rare blend of timing & anticipation & ring IQ that great fighters have. I wouldn't pick Garcia to beat Lomochenko - but that's only because Lomachenko is too smart to commit to throwing those 4 punch combinations against Garcia. Davis, OTOH, will miss throwing his own stuff against Lomachenko and the latter will make him pay.

5. cuchulain

Jan 6, 2007
    Yes.

Loma would be the slight favourite.

But he would have to turn in a mistake-free performance.

If Davis catches him, it could end quickly.

6. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Amir has lost a bit of speed. I don't think he's better than Crawford, overall. He may not even be faster any more - he didn't look at all fast in his last fight. Khan will be dangerous for about 3-4 rounds - it'll be all Crawford after that, IMO.

I kind of think Amir was tailor-made for the amateurs - 3 round fights + headgear. The pro game doesn't suit him as well.

Garcia beating Spence, Jr? I do see Spence JR as a bit overrated. He's not hard to hit and he doesn't box on the move - which work in Mikey's favor. But Mikey was on the verge of gassing at 140 lbs - I don't think he's got the frame for 147 lbs. He could well be up on the cards when he tires - but tire he will and then he will get stopped, IMO.

7. cuchulain

Jan 6, 2007
    Mickey is probably NOT ducking Loma , but him fighting Spence doesn't necessarily show that he isn't.

A loss to Spence would have little damage to his career as it would be expected.

A loss to Loma would be much more embarrassing.

Personally, like Scheming when he took on Louis back in the thirties saying " I sees something," I think Mickey "sees" something about Spence that prompts him to think he can take him.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mickey pulls off the upset.

8. Zhuge Liang

Zhuge Liang Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2018
    From what I've seen from the latest interview, Floyd do his best for Tank to avoid Lomachenko. Like before, he said it again like a broken records that Tank has no rush and should just fight on his own (against opponent Floyd cherry-pick for him) and that way he'll still make the same money like Lomachenko make. And also I've also quoted him saying that "Lomachenko is very, very old".

Well, he is right about something. As long as Tank stays with Mayweather Promotion, Tank will make a lot of money by fighting guys that already selected for him with all the advantages. Floyd is very smart in this kind of deals. Just like someone in other forum said, Floyd knows how to maximize profit while minimizing risk better than anyone in the business.

9. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Wait, what? 50/50? lol! First off the fight is not going to happen. FlIVd has already said there's no reason to fight Loma and gave a bunch of excuses for it. Typical FlIVd doing with Tank what he did for most of his career at WW. People really need to move on from the idea of this fight. ITS, NOT, HAPPENING!

10. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Floyd knows there are a legion of suckers out there who will pay to watch Tank fight even if hes fighting nobodys. Once he gets enough wins under his belt they'll start hyping him with the "undefeated" narrative and the brain dead will suck it up. Its a disgrace.

Zhuge Liang likes this.
  11. rayrobinson

rayrobinson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Tank beats Loma , at some point he lands and its over. That right hand from Linares still haunts me...