Getting hit sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Gnarly, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Gnarly

Gnarly New Member Full Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Been sparring for a few months now, recently stepped up the intensity so been copping a few harder shots. Sometimes when i cop a solid hit I find I kinda let out an involuntary groan or urmphh sort of sound especially if I'm hit in ribs, stomach, sometimes if popped in the face. Sounds stupid, does this happen to anyone else or when u hit someone u notice it?

Also just sparred a dude who insisted they'd wear no headgear he was much better than me, anyways when i got the rare few clean shots through it felt a lot different hitting a guy without headgear rather than typical dull headgear thud, felt more mashy and damaging, kinda made me feel bad to hit em tbh as I had headgear on. Know its boxing and I shouldn't worry but made it feel a lot more personal hitting someone without headgear anyone else find this?

2. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    thats good your stepping up the intensity but unfortunately thats the only good thing i've read in this post. you sound like a good lad, but keep your good intentions for OUT of the ring mate. making noises when you get punched might either mean your heart is not in it or you have breathing problems when fighting/sparring? i have to say you can't feel bad for your adversary in the ring, if you feel bad to hit someone in sparring what if your trainer puts you into a fight? with an attitude like that you may end up getting hurt because more often than not the other guy will not feel bad about cracking you! in my gym if theres signs of guys feeling bad or congratulating each other on landing good shots in sparring we have to stop and do 20 push ups and 3 extra rounds. i can understand if maybe you was fooling about with a pal and you feel bad, thats a bit different but when it comes to sparring in the gym or fighting on a show, drop that, or you will get dropped. protect yourself at all times, be clever in the ring, and throw every shot with bad intentions! all the best.

3. kiniumi

kiniumi Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2012
    sorry man there's no place for being gentle once your in the boxing ring. and concentrate on keeping a poker face next time u get hit hard. keep focusing on keeping a poker face when u get hit hard and eventually you can do it easily

4. LongJab

LongJab Active Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You become conditioned to the shots, but a hard, surprise shot can still cause an involuntary reaction.

A far as sparring a dude with no headgear... That's on him if he gets hurt. 99% of guys do it for ego. Just make sure you remember this idea is stupid, and to be honest, a coach should forbid it.

5. Gnarly

Feb 17, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate your insights looks like I better shift my approach 2 sparring I enjoy it and get a lot outta it but hitting someone repeatedly to inflict damage is a new concept for me never trained n e martial arts before, no street or school fights I'm pretty placid I guess. Most of all I don't wanna be one if those S*\!head newbies guys that goes all out and looses it throwing haymakers that everyone seems to hate I respect the guys who give me an opportunity to improve but I guess its a fine line being too polite? What do u do when u get guys in corner I currently try a three punch combo and if it lands step back let the guy out obviously bad, how hard do u go here?

Thanks for ideas on poker face and breathing I'll work on those, it happens mainly the occasional really hard shot that gets thru to body.

As for headgear the guy insisted not wearing it it was a hot day and he'd done a few rounds already but yeah thanx I'll not worry bout it next time

Do u guys rekon there a place for me to continue in boxing I have no intention of going pro, didn't start even with idea of amateur but like the sport, challenge, learning and improvement side of it am happy to step up the sparring side not sure if I'd want to compete am wise at moment tho...

6. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004

Yeah, grunting and groaning in front of a boxing opponent is sort of like being a bleeding tuna in front of a shark.

But one time being nice in the ring to a sparring partner had an unusual consequence. Thinking that barely catching the sparring partner with a punch would be less injurious actually backfired. The knowledge of what trainers mean when they say "catch him on the end of your punches" was suddenly understood, you know the distance that the punch has maximum leverage. The sparring partner did not like that particular lesson even if he doesn't remember it.

7. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Comes with experience and improved conditioning and abdominal muscles (in my opinion). Some guys never really learn to mask it, and some do - myself included. And sometimes, guys who verbalize pain can be a little comical. But laughing while sparring isn't exactly a bad thing either.

8. RichCarne

RichCarne New Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Of course there is. Nothing you have said indicates you are not cut out for the sport.

You are new. With experience, these "issues" will likely subside. Absolutely nothing to be concerned about at this stage.

9. oiky

Jan 17, 2014
    i agree with this guy pal. your not long into the sport and as he said experience will not be a factor. there really is no substitute for experience in boxing. keep at it bud. don't give up and don't let people put you down, just get into a boxers mindset when your in that ring e.g. make them miss and when you get a punch on them DON'T feel bad lol:thumbsup

10. Gnarly

Feb 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone for your honest advice and encouragement - appreciate it a lot! U R a surprisingly nice bunch for a group of...boxers lol

I'll put into play all your recommendations, get stuck into training hard and with right coaching hopefully develop enough skills, conditioning, confidence to have an exo or am bout sometime in the future as i've loved the training incl sparring up till now. Cheers! :p

11. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    theres no substitute for experience !!!! That was my trainers favourite phrase 40 years ago:good and proved to be true.

12. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    People go out running, doesn't mean they're going to run a marathon.

13. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    Just keep on climbing into that ring mate. :good

(...and trying not to get carried back out lol!).

14. Gnarly

Feb 17, 2014
    Put your advice into action tonight, got put in with an am with about 10 fights, good fighter much much better than me, he popped me with plenty to body and head some which hurt quite a bit but reminded myself and kept the poker face which I found meant i stayd more focussed, composed and clear headed so had chance of returning something.

And I didn't feel bad when I got the odd punch thru which seemed to free me up to punch more and follow up with some combos instead of just a 1-2 back off so pulled the occasional combo off which i actually enjoyed, was cool ;), so thanks again for the advice + encouragement it definitely helped me learn and improve tonight
    (Don't get me wrong he still schooled me :nut).

15. oiky

Jan 17, 2014
    :thumbsup well done pal keep it up