Getting out of Wembley

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by williams7383, Apr 24, 2022.

1. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    We queued ages on Wembley Way and got on a Jubilee Line to Stratford at midnight, the guy in the station said they were running out of trains and service would be stopping.

There were loads (thousands) of people behind us I'm just wondering if many got stranded waiting for trains that didn't come.

Was there much trouble.? I saw one traveler hit another at the top of Wembley Way after the fight but that was all.

About 9.30 we were on the concourse block 524 and a load of riot police went running past with shields etc towards the lower numbers

2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    It's always horrible getting out of Wembley even worse at that time.

3. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    As a Villa fan I'm used to leaving early when we get there

4. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Hence why I didnt want to attend, insanely busy.

Glenn McKrory and Jurgen like this.
  5. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Wembley is probably the worse venue for boxing for going/coming. They would be better using the London stadium or even increasing prices and keeping it in the O2. The O2 would make £8million at an average of £400 a seat so spread more of that over the most expensive seats I would happily pay £200-£150 to watch a mega fight in the O2. Tottenham is not much better for access either.

Oneirokritis, ryanm8655 and Jurgen like this.
  6. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wish a big bill would happen at Ibrox. Not only would it be great for an atmosphere, the transport links are very good. St James Park would be good to for people leaving the stadium.

7. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    The O2 is horrendous to get out of, Only been to Wembley twice and that wasn't much better.

Manchester Arena is probably the best to get away from after an event.

moog, Oneirokritis, channy and 4 others like this.
  8. high tower

high tower Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2008
    No chance would I go to that. Not a fan of stadium fights. Was at the wembly arena once and took hours to get back home.

9. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    You are spot on as is the Echo in Liverpool now known as the M&S Bank Arena.

It is difficult to get around London after big events at any stadium and arena such as the O2.

Sap1en and LoadedGlove like this.
  10. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Wembley is a hell hole. Bad enough for football, big plastic soulless bowl in a third world part of London. Horrible.

Watching boxing in a stadium is a once in a lifetime thing. In the sense that you do it once then realise how fxking awful it is to pay 200 notes to look at a big telly in Wembley when you could have paid 25 notes to watch at home. So you promise yourself you'll never make that mistake again.

No one watches stadium boxing more than once surely, and if they do they ain't there for the boxing they're there so they can say they were there. Tell me I'm wrong on this.

11. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    You should have been at the Imtech Arena, Hamburg for the Klitschko v Toe Haye fight - left the stadium at midnight, huge queue outside for the Shuttle Buses to Stellingen Station and an even bigger queue there for a train to Hamburg Central - got back to the hotel at 5.30am.

Oneirokritis, Gregor1987 and pow like this.
  12. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I do not have issues around London as I live there but Wembley/Tottenham is a chore for anybody unless you live in the immediate area. I can only imagine the stress of those scrambling to make their last trains to other parts of the country.

Holler and Jurgen like this.
  13. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Correct mate

I went to Froch v Groves 2 with good seats in the lower tier on the half way line - absolute shyte compared to an arena

14. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I was there mate. Massive queue trying to get back into Hamburg. We actually had VIP tickets so ended up kicking about in the stadium for a while after.

Oneirokritis and Jurgen like this.
  15. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Good point. If I can’t get ringside or lower tier at a decent price, which is not often. I am at home watching it on the box. I remember being at Calzaghe vs Lacy at the MEN. I was up the tiers and that was too far for me. I spent most the time watching the screen.

Wig, Holler and Jurgen like this.