GGG vs Canelo 2 a classic?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cleglue1, Sep 18, 2018.

1. cleglue1

cleglue1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2015
    10 years from now and someone wants you to show them a classic middleweight rivalry, would you recommend GGG vs Canelo 2??

2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Yes it was an awesome rivalry. High boxing iq, power, and courage on display. It sucks both fights ended in controversey. Hopefully they have 1 more and we get a conclusive ending like pacquiao marquez 4.

JoffJoff and cleglue1 like this.
  3. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Absolutely not. I dunno why people keep calling this a great fight. I'd watch Ali vs Frazier 1 or Marciano vs Moore 1000 times over before I rewatch GGG vs Canelo. GGG barely looked like he wanted to fight in the second one and Canelo cheated in the first one.

No I'll never call it a classic rivalry. A good post 2000s example of a rivalry would be Gatti vs Ward or Pacquaio vs Marquez

Gatekeeper and BobD99 like this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It was miles better than Gatti v Ward as far as skill...

Top level middleweight fight despite the decision.

5. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I was highly disappointed with both "Super" fights. No knockdowns. No really big drama show. Boxing these days is all said and done. Nobody wants to risk losing or getting hurt. Stick the fork in it already...

The Morlocks, cleglue1 and BobD99 like this.
  6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    In this day and age one could call it a classic i guess. Two of the best middleweights today with a momentum shift and an extremely close finish. It was a very good fight.

cleglue1 likes this.
  7. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
    For me, yeah. Not equal to the Morales vs Barrera I or Marquez-Vasquez III, but still top tier.

But then, I think Accelino Freitas vs Chico Corrales was a classic in its own way as well. I value skill, suspense, and shifts in momentum more than face first brawling.

cleglue1 likes this.
  8. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Competitive fights often go down as classics, no matter the skill level, because of their entertainment value and appeal to a broader fan base.

Golovkin/Alvarez (II) was one of the better fights of the times. It was both competitive and fought at a good level of skill. In the few years since he began to dabble in the division, Canelo has gotten much stronger (how he's managed to do that is another conversation) and was able to make this a battle of offensive arsenals - which also helps with making it a decent spectacle.

Will people be talking about this fight, 10 years from now? Possibly, but this will become more likely, if they turn out another pair of similar performances, in a third battle.

cleglue1 likes this.
  9. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It was certainly great for the era we live in today, but I can't call it a classic as I've been too spoiled by technical marvels from bygone era's such as:

Mike Gibbons vs Soldier Bartfield
    Sam McVey vs Battling Jim Johnson
    Bob Fitzsimmoms vs James J Corbett
    Packey McFarland vs One round Hogan
    Primo Carnera vs Tommy Loughran

10. cleglue1

Dec 7, 2015
    Ali vs Frazier 1 and Marciano vs Moore are just on a whole another level

11. cleglue1

Dec 7, 2015
    There was a little resistance from both sides , mainly from Golovkin. Either he was tired or just afraid of Canelo's counter. Id have to disagree about the heavyweight division at the moment, there are a lot of heavy hitters looking and willing to take a knockout.

Sangria likes this.
  12. cleglue1

Dec 7, 2015
    I haven't seen any of these, but I'll take your word for it as I probably wont find much footage besides Carnera.

13. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    To me, it was a good fight, a little short of great, but a good fight. No real memorable moments that I can think of off the top of my head. Would I watch it again? No, I don't think so.

14. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    It was a great fight, just a pity the wrong man won.

heerko koois and BCS8 like this.
  15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Top-shelf fight, both guys were using their heads and trying to land hard stuff while avoiding the other's big punches. The first fight had people gushing over how Canelo managed to avoid GGG's big shots. Well, this time Golovkin had him swatting flies half the fight as if to show that Canelo's not the only guy with a defence. Of course, nobody gushes over this. To me this shows how good a boxer Golovkin is; he was able to counter punch and fight offensively. I had it 8-4 to GGG, same as the first fight.

mirkofilipovic likes this.