GGG vs Canelo 2 RBR

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ellerbe, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    A draw possible but not the way I saw it. I used the same criteria as the first fight and IMO Canelo clearly won this one hands down. Only thing GGG won was jabs connected.

And for some reason I'm being biased for scoring this one for Canelo but not for scoring the first one for GGG. Go figure.

ellerbe likes this.
  2. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    lmao, im scoring the wrong fight,

Ph33rknot and ellerbe like this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    My scores for whoever is interested:

1 ggg
    2 ?
    3 ggg
    4 ggg
    5 ?
    6 c
    7 c
    8 ?
    9 ggg
    10 ggg
    11 ggg
    12 ggg

The ? indicates swing rounds where I found it really hard to score it. The commentary definitely affects the scoring I remember leaning towards Canelo for the 8th and then the commentator went on about how Golovkin was doing well and I lost the plot. Rewatched the round and couldn't make up my mind.

I have an 8-4 score to Golovkin as the most likely.

I think that the "story" around the fight has deeply influenced the scoring.

I think that the fact that Canelo stood his ground and the fact that he didn't get blasted out by Golovkin made people give him rounds as a kind of participation award. Show the fight to somebody who knows nothing about either of them and they'll pick Golovkin every time.

I saw Canelo being made to miss repeatedly on wild swings (something that GGG did a few times in the first fight which for some reason made the Canelitas orgasm) and I saw the heavier, more impressive shots being landed by Golovkin. Golovkin's jab seemed more effective to me now that Canelo wasn't moving backwards, and it snapped his head back many times.

To be fair, Canelo landed a lot himself and he made it close. I think he's established himself as a top line fighter and proven that he belongs at 160.

But he did not win that fight.

Ph33rknot and ellerbe like this.
  4. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Eat a dick you condescending dickhead.

5. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm interested :).

BCS8 likes this.
  6. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    This content is protected

RD 1
    canelo lands first scoring blow at 2:42, a left hook to the head. next is canelo again at 2:27 with a jab. ggg lands jab at 2:22, cant see it but canelos head snaps back. ggg connects jab at 2:00. canelo connects jab at 1:49. they trade jabs at 1:20, only canelo connects. they trade jabs again at 1:09, again, only canelo connects. the second of a double jab connects for canelo at :54. canelo connects left hook at :40. ggg connects jab with :07.
    canelo- 7 clean scoring blows
    ggg-3
    RD1 CANELO

cst, show me what you saw different, im willing to admit if im wrong.

7. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    Well at 1:49 you scored a jab for Canelo that was not as clean as GGG's jab at 1:41. He misses one and then lands after. He also lands a jab at 1:36. I just picked a random time stamp. And no these aren't effective punches but I think if you add them all up they do count for something.

It's kind of late but I could most likely point out a lot of punches you missed. I'm not mad you gave it to Canelo though, but I would argue and go through the whole round and count punches if you're saying that it was a dominant Canelo round where there's no case for GGG.

8. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    i only scored shots that were obviously good. i was not influenced by sound and i can tell the difference from a slipped punch, a rolled punch, and a solid scoring one. touching the face clean is not the only criteria, a master of distance wants you just close enough to bend his nose with your punches, effect matters a whole lot.
    the jab at 1:41 slipped past the side. at 1:36 he was just able to touch his face because of distance, canelo also connected a lot of punches like that, which i did not count either. canelo also connected a hard shot at the belt line that i did not count, punches on the gloves were not counted, punches slipped or rolled with were not counted. i was as fair as i could be and thats what i came up with. if you got some ggg shots i didnt count, there are just as many just like them for canelo that i didnt count either.

IsaL likes this.
  9. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    You counted 1:49 though. You honestly can't even tell if that punch lands or not if it did it grazed. I watched it in slow-mo to try and see what you're looking at. 1:41 was cleaner, Canelo tried to slip but it still landed on the side of his face. Are you claiming that he completely slipped and evaded the shot? Watch it at 0.50 or slower speed clearly lands.

I'm just testing for consistency. To me you're being inconsistent counting 1:49 then ignoring 1:41 and the 2 jabs at 1:36.

10. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    Watching 1:49-1:36 in slow-mo I caught a Canelo jab at 1:44. That was a better punch than Canelo's at 1:49 which was unclear. Maybe you were referring to that punch? Either way I still think you should count every landed shot included shots at the belt line. Those are scoring punches after all if they're not low. Make your best case for Canelo winning 1.

11. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    look at 1:49 again, you can see the punch on gggs face as the force moves across it, thats why i scored that more than a jab that is too short.

12. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    at 1:44 ggg had his guard up in front of his face, it was not clean, thats why i didnt score it. im telling you, i did not give any one of them anything extra, i broke it down to the basics and gave both the same credit.

13. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    I watched it several times bro, it's not clear to me. If it did land it wasn't really a clean effective jab. The one at 1:44 was a better jab. It's actually weird because when I watch it in normal speed the Canelo jab at 1:44 doesn't even look like it lands nor does GGG's 2 jabs at 1:36. But when you watch it in slow-mo you can actually see them clearly landing and pushing heads back.

14. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    I don't understand your scoring. So since he had his guard up it doesn't count? Lol it clearly lands. Watch it in slow-mo. The punch at 1:44 was better than 1:49. You definitely watch it in normal time.

15. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    canelo hit his gloves, his gloves hit his face, not clean. stop the other one right at time of contact and you can see ggg's face stretched from the force knocking his cheeks back.