GGG vs. Canelo II, who you got?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by TheDon!, Jan 12, 2018.

GGG vs. Canelo

1. GGG by UD

33.7%
  2. GGG by KO

21.2%
  3. Draw

1.0%
  4. Canelo by UD

40.4%
  5. Canelo by KO

3.8%
  1. ATG22

ATG22 Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Has this been confirmed? Have they both signed?

And I’m too lazy to look it up, but has either guy fought the same opponent twice? I doubt GGG has professionally, but probably in the amateurs he did.

Just curious if we can get an idea of how well one adjusted after facing an opponent before.

GGG seems like the smarter fighter. He always does what he wants to do in every fight. If he wants to stalk, he stalks. If he wants to be cautious, he works behind the jab masterfully. His ring generalship is superb, almost always the aggressor. Canelo is smart in the ring too, but he sometimes relies on the perfect counter to beat inferior opponents, which may not present itself every fight. Can he go on the attack when he needs to against a more powerful puncher? Or will he continually backpedal hoping to time him.

In short, I think GGG has more ways to beat you than Canelo does.

Of course I had GGG winning the first one, and should be favored in this one. But what kind of adjustments will each fighter and their trainers make? What can Canelo really do differently? We know GGG is gonna march forward and not be afraid to eat shots along the way. What if GGG decides to open up on the body this time?

It appeared Canelo hit GGG with his best stuff. It did not deter him. But I don’t believe GGG hit Canelo with his grade A stuff. Will Canelo elude it another 36 minutes? How will he take it if he doesn’t? I felt he was hurt in the 9th when GGG landed some solid punches, but not his best.

I’m trying to get myself excited for this after being so disappointed in yet another terrible judging controversy. And I think I have. But I will wait to see who is judging/refereeing before I commit to buying it again. I hope GGG gets more input this time (I assume it will be Vegas again, but how about VADA testing for Canelo and non-GBP judges?).

BCS8 likes this.
  2. joeyp130

joeyp130 Active Member Full Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I think GGG by T/KO this time as he amps up the pressure and bodywork esp if Canelo's tank fails. OR Canelo by SD this time. Canelo did impress me with his footwork in the last fight. GGG's dominance with the jab impressed me as well.

3. shanahan14

shanahan14 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jul 5, 2011
    This is how I see it.

4. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Till we see who the officials will be its hard tp predict the result
    In a fairly officiated & judged fight GGG wins ny clear decision or late stoppage BUT
    Remembering fight I fear another Oscar orchestrated robbery this time gving Canelo the dec if he still stands after12

FrankinDallas likes this.
  5. FanManII

FanManII Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2008
    GGG got cheated in the last fight which he clearly won. I doubt he will let it slip away this time.
    I look for GGG to pick up where he left off in the 12th round chasing Canelo around the ring. I think Canelo gets caught early and often in the rematch, gets his knees buckled a few times and the fight ends in round 7 with a KO.
    Canelo knows he lost the last fight. I don't think he really wants to fight GGG again but the money is huge and lots of his camp will get some of it. So the pressure from all sides is on to take the fight. GGG on the other hand. He has something to prove. He is chomping at the bit for the fight to happen. He cares more about winning the fight than the money. I look for him to go on a seek and destroy mission.

Round 1: I see GGG as the agressor, using the jab and out boxing Canelo as he backs up. Then realizing he has to do something to keep GGG off him.

Round 2: More of the same, until Canelo starts to stand and trade, realizing he must do something to keep GGG off him. Both fighters land, but Canelo gets rocked and starts backing up as GGG relentlessly pursues.

Round 3: Canelo comes out and fights. Stands and trades, landing some stinging shots ( likely uppercuts) that GGG walks right through. Canelo gets rocked and its back to fighting going backwards. He gets caught on the ropes and GGG unloads with scoring shots. Bell rings and ends the round.

Round 4: GGG is instructed by his corner to put the pressure on. GGG comes out pursuing Canelo relentlessly. Canelo lands a big right hand that GGG walks into. Momentarily stops the agression, GGG even takes steps back as Canelo tries to pour it on. Unable to knock GGG down, he semi punches himself out.
    By the end of the round GGG has walked Canelo down and once more has him backing up. Canelo round.

Round 5: Having success in the previous round, Canelo starts taking chances. He lands, lands again, GGG shakes his head. Canelo unloads, from there the fight is back and forth until the bell rings. Canelo round.

Round 6 : Canelo comes out blazing. The fight goes back and forth with both fighters landing. GGG Catches Canelo with a shot that doesn't seem like much but Canelo staggers back to the ropes where GGG unloads.
    Canelo is hurt. GGG is trying to end the fight. The bell rings.

Round 7: GGG is the fresher man. Canelo is still hurt but winging hard punches and gets caught again. Another big shot sends him to the ropes where GGG unloads with fury. Canelo is hurt again....GGG senses it and goes for the kill. REFEREE STOPPAGE, or corner throws in the towel.

Anyway , lets see what happens.
    I got GGG by KO round 7

6. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Canelo by ROBBERY.!!!

7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Canelo by close but legit UD

drenlou likes this.
  8. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    At least 2 of the judges bank accounts will be winners, courtesy of Golden cross dresser.

9. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Golovkin needs to knock El Pollo out to get a draw! Oscar will own all three judges, judges Tyrd, Tyrd and Tyrd, the referee will be Tony Weeks, so all El Pollo has to do is kick Golovkin in the testicles and Weeks will stop the fight, Oscar will own the boxing commission, so Bob Bennett will be the cheerleader, making sure El Pollo wins the fight by decision or testicle blows.................watch and see.................this fight will be fixed like the other one, only worse.....................Golovkin needs to go for the knockout...................Oscar refused to fight at MSG..............

10. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    GGG doesn't have the ability to play the mind games on Canelo. A Billy Joe who is less talented would taunt the hell out of Canelo about the last fight and it would work

Birmingham likes this.
  11. ATG22

ATG22 Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2014
    You don’t need mind games when you are the superior boxer. GGG just needs to execute his game plan. They run it back exactly the same, he wins.

He won the first fight, he should be favored in the second.

Canelo, Oscar, GBP, Byrd, Trella, all know GGG won the first one.

The middle rounds define a fight. Everyone loves the championship rounds, but it’s the middle rounds that show what a fighter is made of. The first few rounds you are feeling out your opponent, and great fighters can give away the first couple to find what they are looking for. The last couple rounds could come down to a desperate guy vs a guy who took his foot off the pedal, even if ever so slightly. Mayweather was the master at this. As few rounds as he lost, they were usually very early or meaninglessly late.

GGG dominated the middle rounds. He figured Canelo out, put in work, but didn’t get fully rewarded. We all know why. Let’s hope there is justice in May.

BCS8 and fistsof steel like this.
  12. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Canelo back peddled a lot. He didnt want to engage in a fire fight.

BCS8 likes this.
  13. acie2g

acie2g Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I don't quite see it like that while there are alot of things you can point at that GGG lacked in the first fight, he's basically the same fighter fight in fight out, Canelo has consistently shown improvement in every fight he's had in the last half decade. I think Alvarez who showed alot of skills in the first fight still has a few more tricks to pull from the bag.

14. Papillon

Papillon Active Member Full Member

Dec 26, 2017
    I thought Golovkin won quite clear in their initial fight.

Alvarez was defensively exceptional but he didn't throw enough imo.

To win he will need to throw more and maybe not move as much, but here he could play into GGG'S game.

Both fighters can improve and Golovkin needs to bring in the bodywork that he was known for instead of headhunting.

I had the first fight 9-3/8-4 to Golovkin, I think the rematch will go down a similar hopefully the right man gets his hand raised this time.

BCS8 likes this.
  15. Ghost with the hammer

Ghost with the hammer New Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I had it 7-5 in the 1st fight - I think that Canelo will be worried that he hit GG with his best and nothing happened - think that GG is going to walk through the shots, because he knows he won't get help from the ref or judges

BCS8 likes this.