GGG vs Gene Fullmer

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Scott Cork

Scott Cork Active Member Full Member

Feb 3, 2021
    This one is definetely going the distance. Who takes it?

2. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    GGG is far more skilled than Fullmer was, he would completely out-jab him.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  3. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    These guys are a tough night for anybody! Fullmer so awkward and throwing those rt hands like a baseball pitcher
    G would need to double and triple that jab to try an offset Fullmer and make him think a little befor rushing in. I think Fullmer does well the first few rds until G gets adjusts and gets the jab going smoothly then works behind it to take a UD

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Gene Fullmer was a very rugged fighter. He swarmed all over Sugar Ray Robinson in 1957, even knocked him down in their first fight. Gennady Golovkin is also very tough and can punch. GGG by KO 7.

5. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    GGG had a great jab and would be 170 or more in the ring.

6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Guys, I might be getting some of you guys mad at me, but come on. I love GGG but let's face it, his chink in the armor was his competition. Let's look clearly at who he fought. Canelo Alvarez (twice), Daniel Jacobs, David Lemieux and Kasim Ouima. That's it! And I'm stretching things with Ouima cuz he was washed up by then. The rest would have been journeymen in Fullmer's era. Now Fullmer, on the otherhand, fought Ray Robinson (4 times), Carmen Basilio (twice), Dick Tiger (3 times), Benny (Kid) Paret, Joey Giardello, Paul Pender, Gil Turner (3 times), Spider Webb (twice), Florentino Fernandez, Eduardo Lausse, Rocky Castellani and Charles Humez. Does anyone really think GGG is going to show Fullmer something he hasn't already seen? Fullmer, however, can show Golovkin a helluva lot more than those cadavers he fought (sorry, a little mean. I just don't think they had much talent). Some of you spoke of GGG's jab, which was a good one. However, Gene fought one of the greatest jabbers in Sugar Ray over 52 rounds and took the jab away with his roughhouse/in-your-face tactics. I could see GGG relishing a clinch to grab a breath. But if he didn't hold on tight to Fullmer's arms he would be getting hit on the top of the head, the hips, the kidneys or anywhere else that free hand could land. I agree with the OP, this is going 15 rounds and I see Fullmer with his hand raised beating GGG in a tough fight where they both would have their moments. Again, look at the competition. It's one thing running over a Matthew Macklin and quite another pounding on a Florentino Fernandez.

7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Agreed the man from Utah was tough, who can forget his fight against Carmen Basilio.

scartissue likes this.
  8. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    …and Fullmer could be cowed by power, albeit extreme power (Lausse bout). I don’t place Golivkin in that natural bracket, but then what is the difference between 220 degrees and 280 degrees…your still getting burnt. Coupled with Golikins cagey-ness and amateur pedigree, I’d put my money on GGG via decision.