GGG vs James Toney at 160.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Sep 19, 2020.

Who wins?

1. Toney by decision.

2. Toney by stoppage.

3. Ladies and gentieman we have a draw!!!

4. GGG by decision.

5. GGG by stoppage.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Neither was Nunn schooling Toney.That is an overstatement.

Loudon likes this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Correct.*
    It's almost as if they make money from people clicking on their link... I'm certain you've heard that there's more titles today to make money, yes? This is a method of precisely how they make it.
    Agreed. But it's ludicrous to say, think, imply or even dream that he was better than McCallum. He wasn't.
    Except he didn't 'handle him well'. He lost and drew. And while I thought he clearly won the first fight, I had the second fight a draw. Canelo didn't fight like Toney did in the first fight, as he used loads of lateral movement. He did, however, fight like Toney does in the remtach. If it was Toney in there, who doesn't fight for one minute a round, a draw/loss/close win becomes a very clear loss IMO. As not only is Toney better than Canelo, he's more active, quicker, and a worse style for GGG.
    Eye test? Sanderline looks clearly more capable than all of those guys IMO. And I'll take being robbed vs Benn and Barkley, tying with Toney and giving most fighters plenty of issues over the wishy-washy results those three guys were having at the time they fought GGG.
    #1) maybe, but you don't think a prime Toney would beat them just as easily?
    #2) disagree. He was robbed IMO, in two fights which would drastically affect how we view him today. Actually, a bit like GGG. If Williams had the wins over Benn and Barkley which he deserved, this wouldn't even be a debate.
    Fair enough man. I think that you're a great poster yourself and am glad there's no hard feelings. :thumbsup:

KO KIDD, Loudon, BCS8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Well now don't I feel silly for writing that whole last post just to get to the end. :lol:

4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Golovkin had power but he delivered slow and looping. Steve Collins actually questioned the legality of the bolo punch he brought down on the crown of Rubio's head.

They were wound up , heavy shots he could land easily on guys that weren't very good , but as soon as he fought the elite , those shots were nowhere to be seen , as were his knockouts.

Toney's style was all wrong for Golovkin if you understand what you are looking at. . If you understand why Golovkin never threw a single haymaker or body shot against Canelo you will know how reluctant he would be to pull the trigger against one of the best counter punchers of all time.
    If you think GGGis going to walk Toney down and hit him with the big power shots that took out Geale , Rolls etc , then congrats , you know nothing about boxing.

Golovkin was not prepared to trade with Canelo , he shelled up and waited for his turn to attack , which often came with right after Canelo launched his burst attacks.
    If Canelo didn't have poor endurance and workrate , he would have dominated Golovkin. Golovkin is just to easy to counter.
    You would see Golovkin fight Toney very tentatively behind a jab , waiting for opportunity's that never come. . Horrible fight for GGG.

KO KIDD and Loudon like this.
  5. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    We’ve discussed this many times.

Could Toney not have followed GG’s timeline and replicated the same results?

It’s okay saying “Call me when GG draws with Sanderline Williams”

Call me when GG beats guys like Mike McCallum, Reggie Johnson and Michael Nunn.

6. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    A comfortable decision?

Really?

Based on what?

7. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    GG isn’t on Mike’s level.

8. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Toney started breaking him down to the body. He didn’t just run out of gas where Toney then capitalised.

9. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Apart from against Roy, Toney was always switched on against opponents that he respected.

The versions of Toney who struggled with Williams and Tiberi wouldn’t have beaten Nunn and McCallum.

If Toney had just seen GG as an average opponent where he was unmotivated and hadn’t trained, he’d have had a huge shock. But if we’re taking the best version of James, (the McCallum fights) then IMHO, he should have been favoured.

dinovelvet likes this.
  10. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Outstanding post.

KO KIDD and George Crowcroft like this.
  11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    GG would have taken Toney apart?

Come on man.

12. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    That is correct.Of course, we are talking about the best version of Toney. Against Tiberi, Toney was not right and GgG would have beaten that version of Toney, what would be the point of such a fantasy matchup.

Loudon likes this.
  13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    :risas3::risas3::risas3:

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    And I just watched Reggie Johnson beat Toney and get stiffed on the cards. Toney's vaunted defence mostly consisted of getting socked on the ropes and hugging.

So Toney was flat against RJJ, not really in good shape against Williams and Tiberi, not his best for Nunn ... :rolleyes: Poor Toney, he was only at his best on the third Thursday on a blue moon of a rainy November ... but, boy, THEN ya'll better watch out! :ohno
    :tiburon:

15. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    There's no way in hell Toney stops a prime GGG on cuts or any other way.
    Circa 400 fights and never stopped, never dropped, maybe never properly hurt.

BCS8 likes this.