GGG vs James Toney at 160.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Sep 19, 2020.

Who wins?

1. Toney by decision.

2. Toney by stoppage.

3. Ladies and gentieman we have a draw!!!

4. GGG by decision.

5. GGG by stoppage.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    That’s unrealistic in this case. Real world variables exist in every sport. I see no reason to take away any reasonable speculation on those matters if they were relevant and could affect the outcome of the fight. Specifically if they were a known issue with the fighter in question, as is the case here.

Prime for prime should be as good a condition as it gets for hypotheticals. That’s hardly unfair.

In the fights I mentioned (Tiberi, Williams, Sosa, and Johnson) he ranged from mediocre to flat out bad. All Middleweight bouts. In addition to the number of other close, controversial decision wins he accumulated against the elites.

Unless you scored the Johnson and McCallum fights against him. Then it’s Nunn, an even older McCallum by MD, and Merqui Sosa (by SD no less) vs Canelo twice, Jacobs, Lemieux, Derevyanchenko, etc.

Not questioning the sincerity of these points, but you’ve basically dismissed all of these showings because he was fighting once every two to three months.

I think you’re defending Toney a bit too fiercely. I’m sure you’d agree that the bigger issue was Toney’s inconsistent dedication. That is a flaw in a fighter that can be exposed in the ring, the same as any technical deficiency. That’s why I have an issue with the conditions you brought forward.

I thought he beat Canelo both times, and he’s been arguably the top pound for pound fighter in the sport for several years now. I think he’s pretty clearly a great fighter at this point.

I don’t get into all the behind the scenes politics, so if you wanna go there, it’s not something any discussion will come from.

Yeah, probably. It’s just not a legitimate scenario to consider. Yeah, I understand they’re “fantasy fights” and all, so I don’t have an issue with that kind of condition normally. Only on a case by case basis. This being one of them. It eliminates what was clearly a major flaw in Toney the way I see it.

We’re in agreement there.

If I were to do it the way you do, then yeah, I’d probably favor Toney. He just had more in the bag. I see it as a close fight in any scenario, though.

Toney having a perceived advantage on pressure fighters in general is one thing (even though it’s an overblown style edge for him, considering he had some of his toughest battles against them as well) but against one with a great jab? That’s a whole new ball game.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Jackstraw likes this.
  2. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Right, BCS8 has been exposed big time!!! Nothing left than emojis, he has :lol: oh let’s wait for the next emoji, then

dinovelvet and Loudon like this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Half man, half machine
    What does it mean?
    What does it mean?

Binatone Spectrum, Pacman, Commodore
    ZX-81, donkey kong, ****ing high score
    Push it to the limit, couldn't push it any more
    Wanna be a ****ing robot after smoking loads of draw
    Bought a speak and spell, stuck it to my chest
    And wraps some ****ing tin foil to my head and to my vest
    Walking down the street, my next door neighbours not impressed
    I'm a robot and buying ten ***s is my quest

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I didn't think it'd get to 75 a couple of days ago but you guys sure kicked on!!!

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    That's what I said, 7 looses to 6 different men. He's best win in Collins. Agreed? So how does he floored and lose a SD to Toney with those credentials? Do tell.

6. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    When you get shown up here, the reaction to to keep posting. I know strange but the squad of Loudon, the dishonest quoting Man_Machine, combined by the two clowns who follow them won't let this tread die.

Sadly no one one is up for film review. Excuses are many. Facts don't seem to count much.

7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Toney faced some good jabbers. Jones who won maybe 11 of 12 rounds, Nunn who was up 6-7 points before Toney swung for the fences missing badly but landing the punch he needed, and a 35 year older or older McCallum, all go who easily out jabbed him. We can
    use film or punch stats. It's pretty clear. Overturned by a higher court.

GGG has an excellent jab, he's lands on Toney just the same. Unlike Nunn his chin is far better making the chance of him being clipped late via late Ko being extremely slim. Let them Trade! GGG hits harder and swells and cuts less. Just like Jones, who could punch had Toney gun shy/

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Although not directed to be, why can't you accept that Nunn was schooling Toney for 10 rounds? Did not not see the fight, or look at the judges cards?

Question do you agree Toney was down 5-7 rounds after 10?

As I asked before, where is the re-match? IMO Nunn wins it. Toney trash talk just got into Nunn's head and he was caught when Toney started swinging for the fences out of desperation because he was way behind.

9. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    A few golden nuggets worth mentioning

Watson is a crappy version of Martin Murray
    Dave Tiberi is a better body puncher than Mike McCallum
    Golovkin is a better body puncher than Mike McCallum
    Toney and Golovkin are evenly matched stylistically.
    Neither one of them did anything better than the other. Golovkin wins just because he was more consistent.
    McCallums loses count when he was 40 fighting at 175 , but GGG gets a pass for struggling with Jacobs because he was 35.
    Reggie Johnson was beaten by 7 men because his boxrec page shows 7 loses.

LoL

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Do you want more? You said you have no negative posts on Hrgovic. Exposed as a liar you are. There's plenty more material Dino, just let me know if you want further embarrassment, okay. Hrgovic has beaten better opposition in comparison to Tyson for his first 11 fights. That was my point. Do you agree or not? Duck this question or try to spin it you will.

You're worried Hrgovic is he's going to be like a Klitschko. Remember you asinine picks against Wlad ever title defense? Should I repost them here too so every not familiar with you can see who you are?

Calling anyone here thick headed coming from you if funny. You're just an angry idiotic poster who's turning into a lair on top of everything else.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Post it. When you do , make sure the posts aren't a response to some garbage claim you made about Hrgovic being moved faster than Mike Tyson. Just post the posts. Thats all you have to do.

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    And yet you quoted me so, clearly, there is something. :lol: Another attack of senility, is it?
    :rolleyes:
    Clearly you are a moron because I've been telling you that very thing since the beginning. But since you have the attention span of a gnat, I fully expect to have to repeat it to you again. And lest we forget:

Official Judging
    Bob Watson 99 - 91
    Dalby Shirley 98 - 92
    Gary Merritt 97 - 93

If you actually watched the fight you'd have seen your secret mancrush Toney get slapped around by Nunn and made a fool of for most of the fight. He got beaten up; he got a right schooling.

Toney was schooled.
    Toney was schooled.
    Call 911 and ask them to help you get your head out of your ass.

Mendoza and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He didn't allow any fighters to be great in his prime, you dullard. In case you didn't notice, he crushed them all like bugs. Unlike Toney, who struggled with virtually every opponent who wasn't an outright bum. Maybe if Golovkin had gone 12 and won a SD over Geale in his prime, fools like you would be slobbering all over Daniel's dong.
    The footage is there to be seen. I suggest you watch the fight.
    You mean, he defended his titles yet again, dropping Jacobs in the process, all while GGG did not rehydrate fully and while Jacobs blew up like a balloon while ignoring the IBF belt.
    The version of Jacobs Golovkin fought would have DESTROYED the McCallum Toney lost to. He would have blasted him away like your senile dementia has blasted away any speck of understanding you have.
    Yes he has.
    Yes he has.
    ^ Your senile opinion.
    Golovkin would have trashed McCallum's 160 opposition, including Toney.

Mendoza likes this.
  14. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    This content is protected

I've got your answers down on record, you are badly comprised and you know it - Mendoza

Captain excuses strikes again! GGG does a better job than Toney does vs the same opponents, even you said so. -Mendoza

McCallum clearly wasn't at his best. A fan boy doesn't look at the full picture Toney by contrast for all these fights was in his prime. He simply lost, drew or won via SD because he's not that good or consistent. Read that 2x, please. If he wasn't ready to go there wold be no fight scheduled. -Mendoza

Same question to you! I'm perfectly fine with mod toning this down, are you? Let's ee how many times you lose your manners for the rest of this reply, shall we?
    bad manners )

Nothing is disgraceful. You admit your knowable is thin you just don't like how I organize facts and present them. It's something your not capable of doing, because 1 ) The facts do not agree with you, and 2 ) Although your better in debate than say Blade, your not in my league of boxing knowledge. - Mendoza

95% would tell you Hopkins is better. Again McCallum was a good old school fighter, yet he lost to best five he fought. Mendoza

Compared to McCallum, yes he was. Why o you think Hopkins has so many title defenses while McCallum did not? An answer would be nice. - Mendoza

Yes, I provided round by round comments and the score. McCallum was up and landed more punches after 11 rounds. Try scoring it yourself. I had McCallum up by a point, and Toney had some judge fixing by one person as mentioned. -Mendoza

It doesn't work that way. Your logic is way off. Toney was very inconsistent but talent meaning he's prone for bad nights like you try to excuse ad nausea. On Toney he just did not match up well vs the top jabbers, which McCallum qualifies as, even past his prime at age 35. Watch the fight! Styles make fights. Toney did not do well vs speedy fighter or good jabbers, period. Hence a non top 25 fighter who has these qualities could beat James Toney. We saw him barley edge Johnson for example, in his prime. Got it? Styles can make fights. - Mendoza

You scored the fight?

I am willing to score the Toney vs Johnson fight, but only if you do the same. Do we have deal? -Mendoza

No sir. I watched four rounds at time due to a busy schedule, but did in fact watch and score all 12 rounds of Toney vs McCallum 1. Don't mis represent me. You spoke of manners before in this post. A my mistake is warranted. - Mendoza

( Manners )

Far more than you. Remember you said you have many gaps. - Mendoza.

Not true, I put in lots of context, you add excises. Big difference. - Mendoza
    ( Manners )

A lie. But your going down a peg every time you reply to me.

I'm doing the laughing, your manners are lacking once again, I can burry you anytime I wish with you own words. - Mendoza

HAHAHAHA, yes he was. Onve ten rounds show us your score card of Toney vs Nunn. Do not duck this question, I want to see how you saw it, which could be very funny as Nunn was far ahead - Mendoza.

I call them as I see them. No I give Toney zero credit for the Tiberi fight. We both agree he lost it, remember -Mendoza

( Manners )

There you go again on the manners. If you want them in debate you sure aren't using them. I wish at times box rec was shut down. You use it as excuses assaying Toney only had 7 weeks rest and such. I already said Johnson last 7 times to 6 different men, with his best win being Collins which is hardly a top win. Yet a fighter of this caliber floored and narrowly lost to a prime James Toney. I offered to score it together. Got it? - Mendoza

PS: I can keep it clear it appears you can not.

BCS8 likes this.
  15. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Daniel jacobs his best win :duh:duh:duh

Loudon likes this.