GGG vs. Tony Ayala Jr.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by laxpdx, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Benitez a pansy?

Ohhh sorry, I didn't know that Will is the one who quit on his stool in his first ring test...

The only tape that I regret doesn't exist of Ayala is him ODing in that gym. That woulda been better to watch than his fights.

The Morlocks likes this.
  2. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    This one is simple, you can only base what if or dream/fantasy fights based on the information at hand, and Tony loses everytime, we just did not get to know or find out enough about him, it's that simple and easy, but from what i saw of Ayala and he was one of my favorite up and coming fighters at that time, it would have been a war, and we have no evidence to show us if Ayala really was good enough to beat any greats.

3. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    he only quit because he was tired

take him back to age 20, and stick him in with same year Benitez, and its a matter of how long can Wilfred avoid his punishing fists?

Wilfred wasnt the strongest and he sure wasnt the fastest and with his feather fists, he wouldnt be able to dent Tony's iron chin

It just doesnt seem like a fair fight to me

4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    This overrating of Ayala has no facts to back it up. I give him credit for being exciting for television and having decent power and pressure against limited guys. That is all you can say. That kind of style against better guys like Hearns, Benitez or Duran would just open him up to counters. Benitez fought Hilton in 1986 I think it was. But he fought Hearns and Duran back in 1982 when he was still champion and 24 years old, so mentioning Hilton is not the Benitez Ayala would have fought. Ayala fighting the Benitez which fought Duran and Hearns would not go well for Ayala

After he lost his title at the end of 1982, Benitez moved up to middleweight (which was a weight he should never have fought at) and lost to Hamsho and then his career sort of went down after that. Then he moved back down to 154. Benitez in 1982 was as good a champion as anyone could be. Fighting Duran and Hearns the same year. Who did Ayala fight which is equivalent to Wilfred Benitez?

Wilfred Benitez went 15 rounds with Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns in 1982. And Tony Ayala would break him down and it wouldn't be a fair fight? Nothing in Ayala's career says he could do this.

5. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    All of the Fab Four would have beaten Ayala and so would Benitez. The only way Ayala would have beaten Benitez is if Ayala had stayed out of prison long enough to face the rapidly zombifying Benitez. The Benitez who beat Duran, took Hearns 15, and nearly killed Hope would have no problem with Ayala.

PernellSweetPea and Xplosive like this.
  6. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Exactly.

Benitez would have stopped Ayala.

PernellSweetPea likes this.
  7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Daniel Jacobs?

Bronze Tiger likes this.