[GIF] Carnera KO Sharkey (Slow Mo)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Apr 26, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    ForemanJab, choklab and BCS8 like this.
  2. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Ive watched this ko since 1973 but never in slow motion. It always looked as if it was a Carnera wrist or forearm that hit Sharkey. Here however it looks like a booming inside right hook/uppercut on the button that did the damage. Devastating blow and certainly does not appear Sharkey threw the fight. Legit ko punch or so it appears.

BCS8 likes this.
  3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You cannot see if Sharkey is hit with a fist or a forearm and the following left misses.

4. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    That makes no sense that his forearm hit him given the angle and reaction of Sharkey.
    And the left clips him good.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It makes perfect sense if Sharkey went into the tank.Sharkey displays no reaction, no head movement at all ,to register the follow up left ,it missed.
    Closed mind.

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That looks like a legit punch to me. If they worked it they ought to get an Oscar for a flawless performance.

BlackCloud likes this.
  7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You pays your money and you takes your choice .Sharkey's own wife had her doubts.

8. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Sharkeys wife?
    :lol:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  9. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    That moment when you realize Mendoza is not the crazy one...

Webbiano likes this.
  10. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    The punch looks legit to me. Sharkey's face shows the effect of the uppercut. The follow up also lands to me but only grazes Sharkey. I had to rewatch several times but you can see his hair move. A glancing blow.

Now if the KO is legit and it appears to me it is, how if at all does this alter Primo's legacy.

He has a KO win over Sharkey a good win.
    He has a 2 wins over Uzcudun a solid if not elite contender.
    1 win over loughran this can be viewed as both a solid name win but a poor performance. Loughran was a very good fighter but Primo had huge advantages over him and never came close to hurting or despatching him.
    Schaaf he gets 0 credit for, Schaaf was deadly ill should never of been in the ring was visibly sick to those in attendance and suffered the ultimate price.
    Primo split with Maloney
    He was 0-1 vs Gains
    He defeated Neusal after Schmeling burst his bubble.

Sharkey 1-1
    Loughran 1-0
    Uzcudun 2-0
    Neusal 1-0
    Maloney 1-1
    Gains 0-1
    Baer 0-1
    Louis 0-1

Outside of these fights many were contested as fixes the Stribling bouts and Poreda loss.

I think his run of Sharkey, Uzcudun, Loughran,

Before Baer beats him, is a decent average run a champ.

He should rank on the lower end of lineal champs but not be totally dismissed. He deserves to be on top 10 lists for the decade he won the title in and maybe creep into the back end of those top 100 lists ppl have been making for the division.

BCS8 and reznick like this.
  11. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Thats a more fair way to look at it.
    I think he also deserves some credit for how active he was, and how many people he beat.
    26 fights in one year.
    He also beat all the giants of his day.

We've seen first hand some of the suspicions about him being overturned by footage.

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    You have to see the camera angle behind Sharkey to appreciate the force of the below.

13. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Great job with the footage I do think it does help Carnera's case.

As for the "being active" we don't know how many of those fights were on the level. I don't want to applaud someone too much if he's partaking in fixed fights. Mcvey has made many posts illustrating evidence that many of his fights are suspicious to say the least.
    When regarding someone with such a murky record early in his career I think it's best to focus on the fights we can say were fair contests.

Sharkey bout is key. It would give him a legitimate KO victory over a world class opponent. Sharkey always maintained until he died around 1994 that it was a level performance. However rumors always persisted. The footage for what it's worth seems to back Sharkey.

Also I would like to touch on the Baer fight. For years that bout was shown and Carenera looks truly pitiful in it, it has been a great source of derision, but what many ppl didn't realize because it's never talked about is Carnera suffered I think a broken ankle after the first knockdown. Making him an easy target and a wounded prey for the remainder of the bout.
    Shame for 50 years the media and commentators basically swept that under the rug to further their narrative of the "ambling alp"

14. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014

Reminds me of Fury-Cunningham a little. Not exactly the same, but close.

This content is protected

reznick likes this.
  15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Ever wonder why Carnera never duplicated this feat?