[GIF] Corbett throws a sharp jab at Fitzsimmons (HD)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Fitz caught and parried that jab. Impossible to say because of film quality that if he not caught and parried where that jab would have landed.

If you read classic boxing text that's how a jab should be thrown. Very similar to a fencing lead. Step forward, lean in, step back. In and out of range.

The ability to parry is a lost art at least in the hwt division. Louis was a master at this maneuver.

Fitz had those cantaloupe sized and broad shoulders. From what I have read an ATG fighter. He is one I would have loved to have seen at his best.

Some of the greatest fighters who have ever lived fought with a lower guard. Loughran, Tunney, Leonard so many more. Great technique allows for lower guard. Those fighters would look at today's hwts and say "why are they covering up constantly?"

2. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Lol! What is that clip supposed to prove? After thousands of posts you're still hopeless when you try to talk boxing technique.

emallini, Pat M and BlackCloud like this.
  3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Looks like Corbett's own variation of the bare knuckle left lead. Similar to the jolt punch Dempsey describes, but no where near as powerful or technically refined.

Corbett was certainly blessed with speed, but a technical master he was not.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Fitz wasn't in the corner. Corbett is clearly closer to the camera and they are no where near the back of the ring.

There was a post in each corner and the middle of each side, and that's one of the middle posts Fitz is in front of.
    This content is protected

5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    It's kind of revealing that a clip of Corbett throwing an unimpressive jab is postworthy.

Pat M likes this.
  6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Well, fast fighters often tends to be not as refined technically, especially at HW. Corbett didn't have as much skills as others from that era but he was fast, accurate and had good judge of distance. I don't see anything terrible with that left, it's not perfect but doesn't make him vulnerable because he avoided exchange after it.

7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I cant say I was impressed by it he was pulling away before he even got to the target area a fore runner of Howard Davis.
    What ever happened to," jabbing through the target?"

8. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Did he have to wear a thong tho?

9. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    I agree.

10. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Yes, he was very fast and had good distance judgement, but as Tonto said, g he doesn't puch through the target, and wastes too much space to use it as a set up IMO.

Tonto62 and 70sFan865 like this.
  11. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Corbett described a lead left that was the first blow to put Sullivan back on his heels during their bout. A lead left thrown with “everything he had behind it”.

12. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    That isn't the punch we are discussing.

mrkoolkevin and roughdiamond like this.
  13. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    To me, he was in too much of a hurry to jump out of the way. Pretty jittery. A cooler headed fighter would have been looking to follow up. But it's a very short clip to make any judgment that is close to definitive. What was happening leading up to the punch? And afterward?

mrkoolkevin, Tonto62 and roughdiamond like this.
  14. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Yes, I would like to see action before and after this punch. Maybe Corbett simply tried to get out of Fitz because Bob found him?

15. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    I agree he was concerned about, "incoming" which negated the effect of his punch.

KasimirKid likes this.