[GIF] Marciano v. LaStarza

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Jan 13, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    At the same stage of Rocky's career yes ,why not at 207.75 lbs Tillis was a real heavyweight.
    175lbs Ted Lowry did it,twice! Don Mogard who had lost his last 7 fights managed it.
    Lastarza did too in their first fight.Punchless Willis Applegate 12-16-2 who had won 1 of his last12 went the distance with 34 fight Marciano, why wouldn't Tillis?

2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    True good point.
    I think the chances are low that Tillis survives, just like the average Rocky opponent.
    But you're right that lesser fighters survived with Rocky.

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The average Rocky opponent was light years below the level of Tillis as a heavyweight so you can throw that qualification out the window.

4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Why are people comparing Rocky to Tyson?

Tyson is 30 pounds of shredded muscle heavier.

It's like criticising Pacquiao for not stopping someone who Kovalev would destroy.

It's that ridiculous.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think they are really, it was Reznik who brought up his name ,saying Rocky was penalized for not beingTyson.
    I just speculated on how Lastarza would do against Tyson.

6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I'd imagine Tyson destroys LaStarza.

A more apt comparison would be how Dempsey, Patterson, Holyfield or Walcott do.

young griffo likes this.
  7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Lastarza would not see the 6th round against Dempsey , against Holyfield, he might see the 8th, Walcott would ko him late,Patterson would use him like he did Roy Harris who Rollie was about on a par with.

8. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Which confirms my point. I say he gets penalized for not being Tyson, and the first you thing you say is "How do you think Tyson would do in his shoes?" lol

The criticisms I hear about Rocky are seemingly arbitrary until I realized that he gets penalized for not matching up stylistically with Tyson. It all makes sense now.

For instance, you keep saying his opponents lasted too long in the ring, despite better KO percentage than Mike and Foreman. What kind of criticism is that? The Tyson penalty.
    Or the fact that he doesn't move his head in a proactive peek-a-boo style. The Tyson penalty.
    Or people saying that Rocky is slow, even though he is extremely swift, well oiled machine compared to his peers. He just doesn't do the amount of movement as Tyson does in short bursts. The Tyson penalty.

Idk thats what it seems like.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Why should a 187lbs man be criticized for not being likely to emulate the results of a 220lbs one? For instance you keep saying Marciano had ungodly power, yet ordinary fighters went the distance with him and better ones had to be slowly battered into submission and only after a sustained and lengthy bombardment .How do you account for that?

10. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    How do I account for that? It's boxing, anything can happen.
    Foreman went the distance with Peralta. How do you account for that?

11. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Also Rocky didn't slowly batter his opponents into submission.
    Which one of them quit?

More often then not, Rocky applied intense pressure constantly until you slipped up and let him land a stunning or concussive blow. You don't see guys taking a knee against him, you see them sprawled out on the canvas.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Easy, Peralta was a cagey defensive fighter who was only stopped 3 times in100 fights ,one on a cut eye, he had 116 fights under his belt when they fought which was precisely 100 more than Foreman had taken part in.
    Oh ,and Foreman stopped him in the return.

13. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    So 176lb Mauro Mina KO'd him.
    But George, Ungodly Power, Foreman couldn't on his first try?

I hate doing this, but this is the kind of straw grasping reasoning you use.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No you don't ,you see them going down several times after being gradually pounded to hamburger.

Charles,Moore,Cockell ,Louis.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Peralta was a light heavyweight himself then 173lbs lol Running out of answers? Foreman was a novice when he faced Peralta the first time . Peralta had drawn with number 3 ranked Bonavena in his previous fight.

I'm not clutching at straws ,I'm winning this with just my jab!