Glad for Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by UncleDenny, May 19, 2012.

1. UncleDenny

UncleDenny New Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2012
    After watching Foreman- Holyfield, I am a little surprised that Foreman hasn't ended up punch drunk. He took a hell of a beating, powershots/combinations to the head from prime Holyfield. Maybe Holyfield just wasn't big enough to inflict enough damage.
    Haven't seen much Pre-1974 Foreman but it looks like many of his wins were early knockouts, which helped him avoid punishment, but he took a hell of a lot of right hand lead power shots to the head against Ali. I also remember Morrison landing a lot of power shots to Foreman's head. I'm glad that he avoided the fate of many boxers and got out with his marbles intact to go on to great things outside the ring. I guess the biggest reason he never ended braindead is because he knocked most guys out early. Still, he took a lot of punishment in his fights that went to decision.

2. the cobra

the cobra Awesomeizationism! Full Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Aye, he had a very long career and took some serious punishment post-comeback. Ali and Lyle fights weren't all that pleasant for him in the 70's either. Plenty of guys who fought far less than Foreman and took far less punishment suffer from brain damage unfortunately. As with just about everything, George is the exception to the rule. Odd man :lol:.

3. DaveK

DaveK Vicious & Malicious Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Not to mention about 18 elbows in a row from Holyfield...

I cringe just thinking about Holyfield teeing of on him and mixing those elbows in with it all... A wonder he didn't fall or split open.