Glass Jaws Exist in Boxing!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Zakman, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Ted Stickles

Ted Stickles Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    :pancarta:Roid Jones that name will always be funny

2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    He ain't British otherwise he'd have an Iron Jaw.

3. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    This content is protected

lewis gassed and Serge like this.
  4. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Well, I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the results here. The consensus that glass jaws exist is clear. Yeah, you have a few of those recalcitrant glass deniers disputing or throwing childish insults, but for the most part the folks on this site seem to agree that punch resistance is an important factor in this sport.

It wasn't always the case. When the Chincheckers first starting emphasizing the importance of having solid whiskers to success in boxing, it was like you were a European citizen in the middle ages questioning the infallibility of the Pope. People said you were somehow "disrespecting" fighters, when all we were doing was pointing out that the lack of good punch resistance is so important in determining the outcome of fights. The deniers got emotionally overwrought and attacked us viciously.

But we kept at it, educating boxing fans on the CENTRAL importance of having a solid chin to being successful in boxing, and now all that has changed, and we can confidently assert that the posters on ESB know that, yes, GLASS JAWS EXIST in BOXING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yesihavearm2 and chico g like this.
  5. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    I don't believe it without an actual study. A group of presumably granite chinned subjects and a group of presumably glass chinned subjects need their mandibles to be tested on gradually increasing forces of impact. It's clearly a very provable hypothesis yet I have seen no studies. Where are the studies, Zak?

chico g likes this.
  6. Zakman

Apr 16, 2005
    It would be challenging to set up an experimental design like that, I think - not the least of which because you'd have to get the informed consent of the subjects. I think the best you are going to get is some retrospective analysis of fighters' records to see how a sample of granite chinned fighters performed compared to a sample of glass jawed fighters against the same opponents. I think you might be able to use the Boxrec database to do something like this, but I myself have neither the time nor the resources to conduct such a study.

There was some kind of historical comparison done on brain injuries before and after the 15 round limit was abolished, which showed, contrary to what folks often allege, that brain injuries were no more likely with 15 rounders than 12 rounds. That's the kind of study I'm talking about. It's not a true experimental design like you suggest, but it's a useful quasi-experimental approach that might yield if not exactly the level of evidence that the experimental design would provide, something close.

Max Thunder likes this.
  7. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The only thing that fills me with more revulsion and disgust than glass-jawed fighters is the fact these worthless subhuman freaks have any fans. How can any self-respecting member of the male of the species support a fighter who can't even take a punch from a gloved fist and a heavily padded one at that? Bird skulls and old lady mandibles belong on birds and old ladies, not on grown men. Glass-jawed fighters are freaks and they should be treat like such, not put on a pedestal and celebrated :facepalm:. I hate glass-jawed fighters, like I genuinely hate them with every ounce of my being.

8. Zakman

Apr 16, 2005
    C'mon man, it's not their fault they're china-chinned! I always say that you can't train a chin, you're basically born with a sturdy mandible or you are not. And most people DON'T have a sturdy mandible, otherwise you wouldn't see so many KOs in boxing. So why blame them?

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Because boxing is the most manly sport there is or will ever be and glass jaws are the complete antithesis of that. I can assure you the only glass you'll find inside the Halls of Valhalla are in the windows, the drinking vessels, and jewellery. Boxing is a warrior sport and a warrior who can't take a punch is a complete oxymoron, or at least it is where I was raised.

10. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    thus Ali ended up with severe brain damage while i don't believe Bruno did.

11. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    Fury has one and Pajkic proved it.

12. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    what happened to the rest of your lil clique? they get bored of this garbage and move on?

13. greenhornet

Nov 14, 2016
    Ali took severe beatings from many, including Norton and Frazier thrice, and once from Foreman. he was lucky he wasn't killed in the ring. severe brain damage was inevitable.

14. Zakman

Apr 16, 2005
    What others do is no business of mine. Chin analysis is a staple of this site. On ESB, we talk about glass jaws. If you deniers don't like it, there are other threads to read!

15. Joe.Boxer

Joe.Boxer Chinchecker Full Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Roid Jones, Jr was an artist in the ring - he turned getting KTFO into an art form;

This content is protected