Glass Jaws Exist in Boxing!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Zakman, Feb 1, 2019.

1. HEADBANGER

HEADBANGER TEAM ELITE GENERAL Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Glass Jaws exist in boxing and no matter what the delusional punch resistance deniers say, we shall discuss them here on ESB

Ph33rknot likes this.
  2. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Glass Jaws exist and We won’t shy away from discussing them on here.

3. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Chin analysis is my hobby, not my vocation. But, after many years of following the sport, I have developed some expertise.

And one thing I can tell you definitively, based on this analysis, is that glass jaws most definitely exist in boxing, what the fanboys and deniers might try to tell you to the contrary!!!

4. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Establishing that some people take punches better than others isn't much of a harvest to be gleaned from literal decades of study. Certainly not enough of one to justify hundreds of threads. Chin-ology sounds like a moribund field.

5. Zakman

Apr 16, 2005
    Hell yes, they exist!!! And, lots of fighters have them. Just look at what happened to Abraham Nova last weekend. Clearly he has some chin issues!

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Shyte is an excellent example of glass jaws. Fights who can't take a punch should be scrutinized for the rest of their lives, made into hilarious internet jokes, and abused for even attempting to step into the ring.

They shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce. Only the superior iron jawed fighters can have children. We need to rid the world of china chins by means of natural selection.

7. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Chris Eubank Snr laughs at such claims of British fragility.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  8. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Trouble is if the new standard is iron the diamond chins will repeat the process. Then once everyone is diamond…

cross_trainer and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  9. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    And we'll just keep getting stronger chins to the point were we can tank a shotgun blast to the jaw. And then punches will have to evolve to become more powerful than even that. The Perfect evolutionary process

cross_trainer likes this.
  10. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    I actually believe in "glass jaws," but this isn't really convincing video evidence of them. Most of the punches here are very cleanly landed power punches. If you're trying to prove glass jaws, wouldn't you want a highlight reel of guys getting KO'd by glancing jabs or something?

11. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Even fighters you consider glass jawed don't lose every single fight by knockout. So I don't think "all" fighters would get knocked out if glass jaws didn't exist.

On the other hand, if your definition of "glass jawed" is "all fighters who have ever been KO'd," then I guess George Chuvalo is one of the only fighters ever to live who didn't have a glass jaw.

12. Zakman

Apr 16, 2005
    Thanks for your interest in this topic - it's an important one. And since you ask such serious thoughtful questions, let me give you a serious thoughtful answer. Virtually every fighter has some issue with punch resistance - which is what my comments were intended to convey. Now, some have more serious problems with staying vertical during a boxing match than others - these are those with the most fragile mandibles.

Now, I suppose you could define "glass jaw" as encompassing ONLY those with absolutely worst punch resistance - guys like Fraudley Harrison, Amir Khan, Enzo Maccarinelli and the like - but my own view is that is too limiting a conception. As I see it, generally speaking, if you can't remain on your feet in boxing match, your whiskers aren't the greatest. So in sum, I would indeed assert, as you suggest, that the fighters with truly solid mandibles are few and far between. George Chuvalo is most certainly one of these.

cross_trainer likes this.
  13. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    In that case, I think the problem is that you've chosen a disparaging title to describe the overwhelming majority of the boxing population.

It's as if you decided to call everyone with IQs below 130 "sub-sentient morons", everybody above 5% body fat "obese," or everybody outside the Forbes billionaires list "dirty peasants."

Chuvalo was in very select company. Even then, part of his success in staying upright -- a rare achievement -- was good refereeing. Foreman would have sent him down eventually if it hadn't been stopped.

You're therefore describing an absolutely tiny, (and probably lucky) fraction of elite boxers. Who are themselves a tiny fraction of the total population of all boxers, ever. Even Ali got floored multiple times.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  14. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
  15. 46and0

46and0 It's irrefutable. Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It's really heartening to see that Chin Talk is still taken seriously on this forum. Glass Jaws exist; always have, always will.:headbash