Going pro with no amatuer fights at 31 years old

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Blindspot, May 5, 2018.

1. Blindspot

Blindspot New Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Ahem, so I've been doing martial arts in general since I was 8
    I've been in over a thousand fights (real scuffles) cuz of my job bouncing at a bar
    I finally decided to box cuz if I wait any longer I'll be like Danny Glover in lethal weapon and "be too old for this ####"

Problem is, I gotta cut out the Amateur phase since I don't have the time to waste
    So I'm fretting about how to get more than just journeyman fights
    I fight out of Barcelona
    And yeah... I'm no joke, but thing is like this
    I'm trying to sort my head through this process
    You guys got any links of where I should go or what I should do to get some GOOD fights on my record

I don't want to joke around fighting some bums
    Wanna get in there and be ranked asap
    Hows that work

Been boxing for almost a decade but sadly I was lazy on my "getting up to speed on all the details" game
    I'm going to try to search for events in Barcelona too, any way I can look those up reliably, so I can go mingle? Or anyone know the best gym here and how to go about getting a kicka## manager

Thanks a bunch for any help
    Willing to show or video my skills at some point for you all so you know I'm not some phony (dunno the upload limit here or whatever though)
    Peace and cheers

ps those of you guys with boxing channels here, I'm a big fan of your work, always fun to watch those clips, keeps me motivated
    Also thinking of starting a blog and twitter account for fans n such, any comments on this being effective? Or how I could make it effective?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    sjp17 likes this.
  2. Blindspot

Apr 30, 2018
    So I searched it out, and living in spain I'd need 8 amatuer fights to get a licence here
    So I am turning my attention to getting it in england bbbofc.com etc
    I just gotta figure out how the heck to find a manager and a second (shrugs)

sjp17 likes this.
  3. WearyKnight

WearyKnight New Member Full Member

May 20, 2018
    Sadly, due to the sport's past connections with Franco, Spain has gone out of it's way to keep Boxing out of headlines and out of the minds of locals. However, if you truly are as talented and committed as your posts suggest, you will probably need to relocate if you are looking to get fast tracked.

4. Blindspot

Apr 30, 2018
    Yeah, relocating my pro debut to the UK (after finding out the same thing)
    First I'm going to chew down and do some amatuer fights first anyways
    I mean even if it feels like glorified sparring sessions to me
    Just get it in, I love training and boxing and hopefully I can face someone decent
    No biggy

sjp17 likes this.
  5. BoxingFanatic98

BoxingFanatic98 New Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    There will be decent people in the amateurs trust me just dont go in there expecting to blast through everyone or you'll be in for a shock good luck man

6. jimmyonebomb

jimmyonebomb Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    When you say you've been "boxing for a decade" what do you mean? Why have you never had an amateur fight during that period? Just curious. Maybe it'd be good to test yourself in the amateurs first, and unless your an absolute natural and absolute machine (not saying your not like!) I reckon your first amateur fight will probably feel a bit more than a glorified sparring session

Pat M likes this.
  7. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    I am boxing since i was 9, so about 18 years, my entire life i spent in the gym and trained with several guys who turned pro later and had very good amateur careers, those guys were pretty pretty good, and they achieved NOTHING as a pro. You have to be VERY VERY GOOD, probably a super talent to be that optimistic as you are to achieve those things without a decent amateur background. As i wrote i am boxing for about two decades, i am 27 now and a couple of months ago a very good 17 year old who started boxing at 11 so six years back from now was preparing for a fight and i sparred him for a couple of rounds and he destroyed me. I am not that old to blame the age it's simply those amateurs, even the younger ones are pretty pretty good.

I wish you good luck, i had the same desire to reach those things but i have to admit i never was 100% into boxing, i made my A level at school, then started studying, now doing my Master of Arts so i decided for another way overall although i never lost the passion to fight, probably will be in the gym with 50. Hopefully.

DoubleJ, joe brown, skunk and 2 others like this.
  8. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Not sure of the widom of it - but good luck!

I think a *lot* of people would be interested in reading about it if you did a blog or youtube vid series on it.

Here's an excellent book that might be useful to you:

'Looking for a Fight' -Dave Matthews

Pat M likes this.
  9. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    We have guys come in the gym who think boxing looks easy and who tell us they are "street fighters." Fighting trained, conditioned people in the ring is different than hitting a person who doesn't know there is going to be a fight. Most of the "street fighters" I've seen in the gym don't enjoy fighting so much when the other person is fighting too. Most never come back after their first sparring session.

Anybody will fight when they are winning or not taking punishment, we find out more about a person when he isn't winning. When a person doesn't do well sparring one day but comes back the next day, that person might make a good boxer.

10. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty New Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    IMO you’re being unrealistic in your goals and self appraisal of your skills. You will be up against guys who have been fighting since they were 8 years old. Their moves and responses are open loop subconscious reactions to movements and situations they’ve seen tens of thousands of times. You would be doing close loop conscious movements, thinking too much and will always be beaten to the punch. I haven’t even started talking about conditioning and how adrenaline will take at least 25% of your gas outta your tank… this is before the fight has even started. We haven’t even started talking about the conditioning necessary to survive body shots and getting your knees jellied. Let alone the will to win. I could go on and on but hopefully you get the message. Re-examine your goals and for your safety be realistic.

11. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You sound totally naive and clearly haven’t the faintest idea of how hard the sport is.

12. TheMotorCityCobra

TheMotorCityCobra Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2018
    "Wanna get in there and be ranked asap" Ummm...that is not even close to realistic. Your 31 with 0 amateur fights, and you want skip amateurs and journeymen? That's like saying, "I want to play in the NFL next year, even though I didn't play high school or college ball." You are beyond delusional.

13. Texascyclone

Texascyclone always hustlin' Full Member

Oct 15, 2013
  14. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    What could possibly go wrong?

15. unitas

unitas Boxing Addict Full Member

May 12, 2007
    Being a bouncer means NOTHING! i´m a middleweight but i have had About 90 fights in Boxing and kickboxing. very often we get bouncers coming in to the gym being all big and juiced up. and they last About 30 seconds to Maybe 2 minutes in the ring with me. and i walk around at 170 while they are usually 260+. and it´s not that im THAT good. it´s just that they are THAT incompetent.

Pat M likes this.