Goldenboy/ Mayweather/ Montoya drug testing stuff: Updated - Big News?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by shaunster101, May 29, 2012.

1. pathmanc1986

pathmanc1986 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2008
    This is interesting. Not sure if its been posted before. Toney has the excuse of being punched in the head about 5000 times, floyd doesnt.

Whats the odds someone started to take this for perfectly legit reasons, other people saw the results and got in on the act.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiQXogpXXDs[/ame]

2. sg85

sg85 Bang on the chan Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Just curious, for anyone in the know on the whole TRT, on average, how long would it take per sé after a cycle of TRT for it to clear your system and back down to your normal T:E levels? Is there an average or does it vary?

3. shaunster101

shaunster101 Yido Full Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Well I think the problem with TRT is that it can release a steady dose of testosterone into the body while remaining within the legal levels (which in Nevada and NY is twice as high as other commissions - for some reason).

This means you can have elavated testosterone levels, but still pass the standard tests issued by the athletic commissions. These tests simply look at the testosterone level and make sure that it is within the acceptable levels. The will only carry out in depth tests if the levels are too high. This is why Lamont Peterson would have passed the standard testing.

The reason he got caught was because him and Khan signed up to VADA, who carry out Carbon Isotope Ratio (CIR) testing. Whereas the standard tests look for a red flag such as elevated testosterone levels, CIR tests whether the testosterone is naturally produced or synthetic. Synthetic testosterone is the result of TRT or other PEDS.

There has been a bit of discussion recently about whether it is just VADA who carries out CIR testing, or if USADA (who Mayweather uses) also use it. Gabriel Montoya (presumably on the word of Victor Conte) released an article which claimed they do not, but this was countered by a statment released by USADA dismissing this statement.

The TRT is usually applied by pellets in the buttocks or by creams rubbed into the hands or armpits. These can clear the system within 6-8 hours.

Hope this clears things up a little :good

4. shaunster101

Nov 29, 2007
    I think this article explains it MUCH better though:

5. dftaylor

dftaylor Writer, fanatic Full Member

May 7, 2010
    It's incredible - some fighters probably think it's ok because it's within legal levels. There isn't a benchmark for what cheating actually is, it seems.

6. pathmanc1986

Oct 4, 2008

But isnt that the issue? Technically (not exactly keeping in line with the ethics of the olympics etc) if its legal, its legal?

The CIR test seems to be the only true test as Shaunster has explained.

Its not exactly what we think you could consider 'clean' though

7. DanielJFiasco

DanielJFiasco Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2011
    It's not legal at all to take synthetic testosterone... No amount of it is legal in your body, unless you have spoken out and been granted a medical exemption before testing.

Even if your T:E ratios are ok, if any part of it is synthetic, then the authorities consider it cheating.

There is no real moral standpoint other than the technical arbitration. Is it fair that some athletes are born genetically superior to others ? No. If Amir naturally produces more testosterone than Lamont does he have an advantage? Yes. Synthesised testosterone at the same levels as natural testosterone is biologically equal, so why is a 3:1 natural testosterone ratio legal and a 1:1 ratio with synthetic parts illegal? Morally it's a minefield, so you have to draw a technical line in the sand somewhere.

8. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    i haven't been keeping upto date with all this what exactly has been happening? what has montoya exposed or accused?

9. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008

This. If you are a normal human being with a 1:1 ratio you are stuck with it.

If it's lower, get a medical exemption. I would say if you're using TRT with a prescription the ratio should be lower.

Freaks should be allowed 4:1. 1:1 is what most blokes have, anyone with this should need no extra help and anyone below should only get to the 'normal' level.

A lot of people see 4:1 and think 'that's the limit'. It's the limit for a reason: even that ratio is abnormal!

10. sg85

sg85 Bang on the chan Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Nice one shaunster :good Appreciate it.

11. pathmanc1986

Oct 4, 2008

where do we stop with that though?

protein shakes? vitamen suppliments? even cod liver oil? they are all things that naturally someone might have better genetics so to speak than another but we consider those fine.

Im arguing for the sake of it, but you know what im saying

12. Flea Man

Sep 7, 2008
    That's just food and vitamins really.

You don't eat testosterone. Your body produces it. Putting that into your system is completely different and easy to differentiate between IMO.

13. dftaylor

dftaylor Writer, fanatic Full Member

May 7, 2010
    Yes, I suppose so. It makes my head hurt a little. With no international committee, there doesn't appear to be a guideline that everyone should follow.

This is the sort of thing that gets boxing ****ed over.

14. shaunster101

Nov 29, 2007
    Pretty sure I posted these before, but they're worth a watch.

Conte has turned himself into a key player in anti-doping in boxing right now, and seems to be one of Montoya's key sources.

I personally think that he has been a bit over trusting of him, given his history if deceit, and it has come back and bitten him in the arse when he made claims about USADA not conducting CIR testing, of which I think Conte is the source.

He also seems to be living breathing advert for VADA testing right now.

Anyway, there's no denying he knows his stuff and it's fascinating to hear him talk about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKqAUm1Tjek[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t10PBhVYTmg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1npYx14_JRc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j-ta4jqNQ4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43xFW8oCKE[/ame]

15. Flea Man

Sep 7, 2008