Golovkin has vacated his WBA belt

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Mar 9, 2023.

1. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Two controversial losses to the same guy will never sit right with fans of big name fighters. If the right verdict was given in the first fight, the fans would only have to argue about one fight, which wouldn't be nearly as bad, but two is just over the top. Imagine if Tommy Hearns was robbed twice vs Ray Leonard, same thing, you don't ruin the memory of two fights with obvious corruption. One is bad enough.

Maidanas Gun Tattoo likes this.
  2. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    The draw was controversial. The second fight was a close fight with the right winner for me. And the third wasn’t that close

iii likes this.
  3. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Good stuff!

I understand your positions on ceding recognition to officially constituted organizations.

I just have a different stance.

At some future point, I might rewatch the GGG Canelo fights for the umpteenth time.

Keep on postin'

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    m.s. and Olu G. Rotimi like this.
  4. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Totally fair assessment and I’m a huge Golovkin fan. However, I still think he deserved a close score in the second bout.

Had he been given the proper respect and decision he deserved in the first flight, there probably isn’t a second or third fight.

BCS8, tee_birch and m.s. like this.
  5. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I think that GGG's body has already told him something.

m.s. and vast like this.
  6. tee_birch

Jul 6, 2014
    Yeah he won the first fight and second fight was close. The person I feel most sorry for was Kovalev in the first Ward fight. Ward was undefeated and that wasn’t a close fight at all. Kovalev was robbed

7. Goran_

Goran_ Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Huge Golovkin fan but I have to be honest his career has been disappointing.. some of it out of his hands but some of it his own doing.. I know a lot of people will disagree but he's probably a cert for the Hall of fame now tho.. he's been too big a figure in this era not to be.. but regardless, aside from the two Canelo wins I think he deserves there's nothing else really that's outstanding, and that is disappointing for such a long career.. he could have moved up, could have been matched better.... I do think he was avoided in his prime and that is not his fault, but apart from the Canelo Saga (he shouldnt have given him the 3rd encounter) and the longevity of his career theres nothing really outstanding.. Jacobs, Murray, Dchenko, Murata, Lemieux etc.. solid fighters but not remotely top tier... he is a great fighter but there was potential there to be greater.. I'd have favoured him over the likes of Martinez but unfortunately it never panned out.. just like the Pirog or Cotto fights..

pacas, m.s. and iii like this.
  8. Goran_

Goran_ Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2018
    I don't think the second Canelo fight was close I thought GGG won it convincingly, in fact I think he did better than the first one , i can't score either of those two fights for the Mexican no matter how many times I watch them.. Kovalev was jobbed badly too I agree.. those couple of years were a terrible period in boxing f****** disgusting , legacies being robbed all over the place..

m.s., BCS8 and Maidanas Gun Tattoo like this.
  9. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    The first fight was robbery, the second fight was controversial. Which = B.S.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    vargasfan1985 likes this.
  10. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Even at 41, I'd love to see him come over to the UK and fight again.

A fight with the winner of the Liam Smith v Chris Eubank rematch would be great.

vargasfan1985 likes this.
  11. tee_birch

Jul 6, 2014
    I agree RE the first fight

m.s. likes this.
  12. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    So GGG also vacated the IBF title in February, so now he's a man with just a name. I wonder what big money fight he's going to chase now? Munguia? Charlo? :elboinas:

13. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    He needs to retire. He lost his sweetheart DAZN deal and isn't going to see that type of money again, so what's the point?

It's either retire or get fed to a prospect. Hopefully he doesn't need the money.

pacas likes this.
  14. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    The WBC just ranked GGG #1…

Can’t be a coincidence.

BCS8 likes this.
  15. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    For me, im not so sure going up to super middleweight was necessary out side of the trilogy fight. GGG is clearly a natural middleweight, he doesn't carry extra weight all that well.I think he would have destroyed Martinez, stopped Quillin, dismantled Chavez jr, Sturm, and Lee. Saunders really arrived on the scene during the all Canelo faze of GGG'S career, 2017 and 2018, then Saunders went up to 168lbs. Obviously i favor GGG over the tricky Saunders as well. All other contenders and champs he either destroyed or defeated. I rate Jacobs, Derevyanchenko as top level contenders, the others you mentioned, Murata, Lemieux, and Murray were strong solid contenders in my opinion. He was a destroyer, but his best win or wins, depending on how you view it was vs Canelo, who turned out to be the star of this generation.

iii likes this.