Golovkin vs. Roy Jones Jr. @ 160 lbs both in their prime.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by iceferg, Feb 22, 2015.

1. AnotherFan

AnotherFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Well, Castro lost to some B-level fighters who lost to some C-level fighters, so he really wasn't such a bigshot after all. Unless you are completly unbeaten, like Joe Calzaghe (46-0), there are always questionmarks hanging over a boxers resume like a dark shadow of unworthiness.

2. Imperial1

Imperial1 VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Funny but there are a ton of question marks regarding Calzaghe and the man was undefeated ..Its all about ones level of comp in the end

3. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You have to try and look from Roy's perspective from 1992.

Castro was tough and respected, and at the time, he'd only dropped a few decisions. He'd fought over 70 times, and he was a good test for Roy, who without being disrespectful to anyone, had fought nobody at that point.

4. conraddobler

conraddobler Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Oh AnotherFan, don't start trolling now, you were playing serious for awhile (bailey, is that you?)

5. conraddobler

conraddobler Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 7, 2010
    very astute point by the way. That's why nobody in the world thinks there's any question marks over Floyd Mayweather's resume. Or Rocky Marciano. None whatsoever.

And that's why Marciano, Calzaghe and Floyd are the three greatest fighters in history. No dark shadows of unworthiness hanging over them.

6. thesnowman22

thesnowman22 Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I really like GGG. But im 45 years old, and Ive followed boxing very closely my entire life. Prime Roy Jones was the best fighter Ive ever seen. He was unreal. GGG gets hit too much. Sure, he might catch RJJ and win once in a while, but Jones wins 8 of 10

7. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    There's an interesting interview with John David Jackson on Youtube somewhere where he goes into detail about how green B-Hop was before he became a champion and how much he improved as a fighter after becoming one. Jackson knows B-Hop better than anyone because not only did he used to train him and actually fight him in 1997 but he also hired him as his chief sparring partner when he himself was a world champion.

He mentions it briefly here.

3:39-3:56

[YT]IcZsweIOrpI[/YT]

And he elaborates on it a lot more in this one but like I said there's another one out there where he goes into much more detail about it.

0:39 mark

[YT]JrE3vf0nKf4[/YT]

8. Baby-Faced Bum

Baby-Faced Bum Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Real interesting. Jones has the speed and confidence to outbox GGG, but Golovkin has the smarts and power to be a threat for as long as the fights last. Could be a dramatic ending.

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    :rofl at some of the delusional fanboy desperation and twaddle from the Roid huggers in this thread. I'll be back to expose it all at a later date.

10. AnotherFan

Dec 20, 2010
    Why on earth do you believe I'm trolling? We are debating if GGG would be able to pin Roy Jones Jr down, or if Roys footwork would bail him out. Jorge Castro is a reference as good as anyone, that suggests GGG would be able to do it. In my opinion, GGG has a more polished technique than Jorge who is an anomaly.

What we don't know is if GGG would be able to penetrate Roys defence (which I find likely) or stand up to Roys offence (which is the big questionmark).

You were the one stating that Roys footwork were the greatest of all times. If I didn't know Roys fanbase any better, I would assume that was a troll bait for sure.

11. AnotherFan

Dec 20, 2010
    Yes, in fact it is.

Floyd Mayweather consistently fought top names throughout his career - and won. I've read the grief many people have about Floyds career, and they're nonsensical.

Nope, no shadows of unworthiness.

12. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Jones head would explode if GGG landed on him. It would be a savage KO. Jones doesn't have the Chin to hang in there with savage punchers.

13. Imperial1

Imperial1 VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    GGG would be the one getting KO Ed

14. Tekniqs

Tekniqs Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2010
    lol it's not even a contest.

15. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Roy is a Glass Jawed fighter. You need to accept that. Now, I am not saying that means everyone KO's him but against elite savage punchers who provide pressure there is a very good chance Jones gets Chinned.