Golovkin vs Saunders.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by m.s., May 20, 2023.

1. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    If Golovkin fought Saunders early 2018 in between Canelo fights, this was right after Saunders fought Lemieux in December of 2017, when Saunders said he could beat Golovkin,and that Golovkin would be hitting fresh air if they fought. How would you see that fight going?

2. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Saunders would quit

MagicE, Olu G. Rotimi and m.s. like this.
  3. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Saunders had a great performance against Lemieux and I think BJS is a very talented fighter when motivated, but people overrated the significance of that win so much. Lemieux had nothing going for him outside of his power. When it comes to boxing ability and ring IQ he's no different than Rolly. Golovkin beat Lemeiux down with his jab in 1st gear.

George Crowcroft, BCS8 and m.s. like this.
  4. venbox

venbox Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Golovkin >>>> Lemmy, as seen in their head-to-head fight. GGG stops BJ late.

BCS8 and m.s. like this.
  5. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    So I'm taking it that you believe GGG would have won? By ko or points?

6. DoubleG95Fanatic

DoubleG95Fanatic Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Same as the Golovkin Brook or Canelo Saunders.

GGG isn’t just a swinger for the hills like Lemiuex, he would’ve worn Saunders down into submission and eventually got him out….Saunders doesn’t have anywhere near the power to gain someone like GGG’s respect.

BCS8 and m.s. like this.
  7. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Yep Saunders would QUIT like a dog at the first sniff of a broken face

m.s. likes this.
  8. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Lemieux version of Billy gives Canelo fits. Maybe Canelo still catches him and hurts him, but then again maybe not. And maybe Billy dances away to a UD. It's boxing, you never know.

Against GGG, that version of Billy possibly outboxes him. But something tells me Billy would be more scared of GGG than Canelo and maybe would make a mistake against GGG and get caught.

m.s. likes this.
  9. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    GGG most certainly wins that fight, but BJS had the tools to make it close. Saunders has elite defense despite his stamina. Outside of a freak injury, I pick GGG by UD.

m.s. likes this.
  10. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Probably.

11. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Golovkin takes him apart like a watch. Saunders might look good early on while his speed and movement is there but I have no doubt that Golovkin's consistent thudding power coupled with his timing slows Billy down and once it's late in the fight GGG's big guns blow a hole through Saunders. Saunders simply doesn't have the power to bother Golovkin and Golovkin's workrate is higher than Saunders' workrate. A fun fight will devolve into a late mauling as Saunders manages to show less and less.

m.s. likes this.
  12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Saunders might have beaten GGG in a 6 rounder.

m.s. likes this.
  13. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    I would say, the Golovkin that koed Martirosyan would stop Saunders mid to late rounds, likely late. GGG was an animal that night. Saunders beat Monroe 9-3 to 8-4 in rounds, GGG destroyed Monroe. Saunders shut down Lemieux, but went 12, while GGG shut down and destroyed Lemieux. GGG by 10th round stoppage.