***Golovkin was very talented, why did he take the way route?***

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IsaL, May 10, 2021.

1. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Golovkin was a talented and skilled fighter. One of the best MWs in his era.

But why didn't he dare to be great? Why didn't he take on all comers?

Was he just money hungry and only wanted Canelo for the big payday?

Will Golovkin's ever fight T rop 5 not called Golovkin..

Scar, Hanz Cholo, Ph33rknot and 2 others like this.
  2. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Oh for **** sake IsaL... come off of it already.

Canelo literally vacated his world title belt to duck a prime GGG. Only to fight an over the hill Golvokin years later and have Oscar rig the cards.

3. MaliBua

MaliBua Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 20, 2010
    I kind of agree with you Isal... IMO Golovkin wasted his career, his handlers or something fuked up his career... Golovkin could have archieved much more. But yeah, Golovkin was talented fighter, tough sob, fun to watch.

TipNom, jaytxxl, IsaL and 3 others like this.
  4. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    GGG was badly ducked. Even the hardest of men like Saunders who was born not from semen but molten lava, actually said he wanted to wait until GGG was older, to lose several steps, before fighting him.

iii, kriszhao, Oneirokritis and 7 others like this.
  5. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Golovkin did not waste his career, the awful inner-workings of the sport never allowed him to maximize his potential. Still, we got a glimpse of how good he truly was by fighting roughly on par with Saul Alvarez at 35 years-old.

Keleneki, DKD, shza and 5 others like this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Eubank "I could beat Golovkin"
    Saunders "Pal, Golovkin would beat you and me on the same night"

7. acie2g

acie2g Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Name one concession GGG made to make a big fight and you’ll get your answer to why he’s never had or won one... dude spent a the last decade fighting bums begging for a 154 fighter to move up in weight and when he finally did he lost..
    Lara Trout Angelo Smith at 154 is better than anything GGG has done in his career and instead of asking GgG to try and make any type of big fight they made excuse that somehow Canelo who never taught at MW at that point was ducking.. meanwhile ask GGG to move up in weight or make any type of concession and all you get is excuses..
    Golovkin is a hype job who struggled then lost to the only high quality fighter he’s faced

8. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    And yet 35 year old ggg made Carlo fight for every second of 12 rounds

iii, BoxingFanMike and Surrix like this.
  9. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Ohh, how nice you are.
    Since Canelo had beat Kovalev who as you most likely will insist was prime Kovalev and Canelo was first boxer who had beated him.
    Let's ask Canelo move up to CW and place him vs Makabu and Dorticos in the ring.

I do know how Canelo fans loved to see moved up in weight class welterweight Khan vs Canelo.

Lol, exactly cos such posters like you, Canelo does not have any credit from fans who are not Canelo fans.
    Looks that he does have fanbase with guys like you and he is Boring like his fans like you.
    You are very boring and very annoying poster like a lot Canelo fans.

Casual flowchart and crying why Canelo wins aren't lauded in forums:
    fight is scheduled, dudes like you start to post how he will beat up next hype job, overrated bum will be finished quickly etc.
    Then dudes like you turn another approach to this and demands to gave him " credit " while exactly fans like you already had took all credit from this fight with posts how bad is boxer who Canelo will fight with.

Normal reaction?
    Listen if you have brains, I doubt that you have them.

Okey, yeah, next bum will be in the ring.
    Ppl expect easy win and if this happens, then you are psyched why fans does not gave him credit etc like stuff.

Why? Guys like you already had stated how bad is boxer he will fight with.

Continue and keep trolling and yelling.

iii, Odins beard and gollumsluvslave like this.
  10. Jpreisser

Jan 29, 2015
    I could be wrong here but was it not a concession to allow Jacobs to ignore the IBF's weigh-in rule, while Golovkin never abused weight himself? Was it not a concession to travel to England against Brook, when other top names often don't leave the confines of comfortability (see: Saul Alvarez)? Was it not a concession to give Lemiuex a bigger share of the purse than he deserved just to get it done? Was it not a concession to step aside so that Alvarez and Cotto could fight so he could wind up with the winner (which he did)? Despite following the sport closely, I have somehow missed all of the statements about Golovkin being tough to negotiate with.

Also, I don't think many would agree that Trout or Smith are better than Jacobs, or possibly even Derevyanchenko. Angulo isn't that significant a win, to be honest. A lot of guys Golovkin beat would have likely defeated him, including a faded Ouma.

11. acie2g

acie2g Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2010
    dude did you not forget the Jacobs fight almost not happening because GGG didn’t want to give Jacobs like an extra 10k, dude the Canelo vs GGG fight happened because the bigger star in Canelo went out of his way to fight GGG... he didn’t give Lemuix any bigger purse at all lol.

My guy GGG was offered the fight by Cotto before Canelo said if he agreed to fight at a catchweight he’d fight him GGG cried about how that was unfair an didn’t get the fight.
    Ggg has never made a concession regarding money or weight ffs dude tried to play hardball with Canelo who is a VASTLY bigger star...

now as far as opponents only ggg fans would say that who try to prop up his resume.. Trout beating Cotto is better than anything in Jacobs career Dervanchenko came into the fight with GGG coming off a loss and loss 3 straight fights and hasn’t beaten anyone notable and has never been a champion ever meanwhile Lara has been a 154 champ for damn near a decade not to mention didnt lara and trout both do wayyy better head to head vs Canelo than a Jacobs?

stop man your comparing 2 guys who’ve won legit world titles and have fought legit comp to fighters who never beaten a champ ever and never won a big fight.

12. Jpreisser

Jan 29, 2015
    I never met anyone who thought that the Golovkin-Jacobs fight was actually on the rocks, at any point. And it was Jacobs' team who filed a protest at the purse split to begin with.

The Golovkin-Lemiuex purse split was 57-43, significantly better than the share Jacobs got, even though they were both in NYC. If I remember correctly, Loeffler gave Lemiuex more money because he was entitled to a mandatory, so he wanted to make it worth Golden Boy's time.

Cotto never offered Golovkin anything serious. He was always aiming at Alvarez, who was the bigger draw and seemingly smaller. You are simply exaggerating about Golovkin wanting a Middleweight Championship fight at middleweight, something the rules allowed him to have, and something that should be mandated.

Golovkin played hardball where needed, like when Alvarez tested positive for a banned substance.

This is all just hyperbole from you. Golovkin has never demanded a catch-weight, like Alvarez did with Chavez Jr. He has never had a fight fall through due to money or drug testing, something that has happened to others. Again, he has traveled consistently for fights. He's basically been fighting on foreign soil trying to carve out a niche since he left Germany and he had to come to America precisely because he was blocked out of the big fights early. The guy is far from a diva.

Trout nor Lara have been "legitimate champs". They have been alphabet titleholders. There is a difference. You can hang your hat on wins and losses if you want to, but to me, being real competitive with two pound-for-pounders in Alvarez and Golovkin, like Jacobs was, tells me that he was very close to their level. That means more to me than a win over a smaller, post-prime Cotto. On top of that, Jacobs was competitive with a prime Alvarez, whereas Trout was the first top-10 guy Alvarez ever met. I don't have any problem with saying Lara was better, however, but not that much better.

In regard to Derevyanchenko, he had beaten Jack Culcay before fighting Golovkin, so he certainly wasn't coming off of a loss or three-straight losses. His only loss before Golovkin was to Jacobs, which was highly competitive. So again, just like Jacobs, Derevyanchenko may be losing to the best, but he was operating at a high level. I imagine you probably had Derevyanchenko beating Golovkin, is that right?

iii, Holler, BCS8 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kush

Kush Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Most people have already forgotten about GG

IsaL, 22JM and drenlou like this.
  14. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    What is “take the way route” mean FFS?

Jackstraw likes this.
  15. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    You certainly haven’t, he’s still living rent free in your head kid.

iii, lepinthehood, kriszhao and 2 others like this.