Golovkins stock after 3rd Canelo fight.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by m.s., Feb 3, 2023.

1. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Did Golovkin's stock go up, down, or did it stay about the same after the 3rd fight with Canelo. Please explain your opinion.

2. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Up and down, he put on a defensive masterclass, and in my opinion, boxed pretty intelligently, shading rounds here and there and did just enough to eke out a victory. Of course utilizing that strategy as he should've known was going to be a risky one. He knew coming off of the Murata win, he could still go hard for 9 rounds. Well then why didn't you take it easy the first 3, then go all out from the 4th to the 12th? Clearly the judges were a little less willing to do favors for the recently detroned P4P king. So while yes, he was risk averse because at 40, he didn't want to hand Canelo a possible KO victory, after all, Father Time is undefeated. But goddamn, he'd been chasing this rematch for years, if you have to risk going out on your shield for greater glory, then do it! So the fact that he was that competitive against one of the best fighters on the planet, even while playing it ultra safe, means he's still going to be a handful for every other Middleweight period. So stock slightly up. But at the same time, his rep as Mr. Mexican Style, took a huge blow. So slightly down. Considering he'd just gone full on Mexican Style against Murata earlier that year. So if I average the two out.... the stock remains status quo.:lol:

Wizbit1013, renyo, Daddy and 6 others like this.
  3. fruitandnutcase

fruitandnutcase Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2022
    Went down slightly for me - just didn't seem interested in winning

Fortunately for GGG, 160 is such a ghost town that he might remain top of the division well into his 40s. It also helps guys like JermAll are jokers

4. OldSchoolBoxing

OldSchoolBoxing Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2021
    He showed up in the 3rd fight to lose on purpose. He didn't even try. Lomachenko hinted the same thing, he said "there was something wrong with Golovkin".

He was there just to get his paycheck. Despite this, I don't think his stock went down. Because, in any profession except politics, when you get old you lose your ambitions and goals. You just don't care about anything anymore. You slope off, you try to work as little as possible and still get paid. You say "nevermind the success, fame, legacy etc, just give me my money and I will go home".

5. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Down. He is very obviously diminished.

RingKing, DaRealJT and m.s. like this.
  6. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Both Canelo and Golovkin's stock went down after their friendly little sparring match

7. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    I think he should have retired after Murata fight , I don't begrudge him a cash in fight ...but I feel his big mistake Banks, aliability imo... stock stayed the same...

m.s. likes this.
  8. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I think there's greatness on both sides of the mountain, not just the peak.

I like him continuing on. Being the 14th best P4P boxer in the world or whatever he is at 40 something is no small thing.

9. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Up and down, with a resulting net effect of slightly, slightly, up.

m.s. and CST80 like this.
  10. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    He came for the payday in that fight didn't even try to win

11. Whytesnake

Whytesnake Armchair GOAT Full Member

Apr 3, 2021
    Down. Looked very content with the payday after the fight. Didn’t go out on his shield

pacas, RingKing and m.s. like this.
  12. MBFl39

MBFl39 New Member banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2023
    His stock didn’t go down as nobody expected him to win, but Canelo’s stock def went down.

m.s. and BCS8 like this.
  13. Raheem

Raheem Member banned Full Member

Jan 28, 2023
    It went down with every fight.
    GG's overall fan approval rating was close to 86% going into first Canelo fight, and capped out at just 61% by end of the 3rd

14. Raheem

Raheem Member banned Full Member

Jan 28, 2023
    Dude everyone I know was picking GG by stoppage going into the series

15. jmb1356

jmb1356 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2019
    No change. Was nothing more than a payday fight for him. Fight mostly went as expected.

m.s. likes this.