Gr8 Fighters You Think were Overrated (Controversial Opinions Only!)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Tramell, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Thread isn't meant to debate each other's opinions (though I'm sure it will devolve into such..)o_O
    Loved watching him as an amatuer, admired his aura, hand-speed phenomenal.
    However, I think Ray Leonard was over-rated as a boxer, but woefully under rated as a puncher.

1. Didn't outbox Benitez, he had to bang out a win.
    2. Got outboxed & beat up against Duran. just his 2nd defense.
    3. Hearns was billed as the KO artist, yet he not only outboxed Ray, but used that jab to turn Ray's eye into a puffy looking gray swelling. Dundee told him "You are blowin it! This is where we separate the boys from the men"
    Does that sound like the words of a cornerman that thinks his guy can 'get back to boxing" to win? No! SO Sugar took the fight to Tommy & won by letting the dog out the dog house.
    4. Dropped by Kevin Howard who had a 40% KO ratio. Again Ray had to throw power shots to win.
    5. Lalonde was actually boxing well against Ray dropping him, who once again, had to turn it into a scrap. His power IMO was what did Donny in, not some sweet science clinic of hitting and not getting hit. One judge had Donny ahead at time of stoppage

5. Took 8 years to rematch Hearns. Even tried to go southpaw...Until Hearns kept catching him, he remained orthodox afterwards. 3rd round...Ray is dropped with an overhand right. There was no feinting, no setup, just a one shot to the dome.

How often do great sweet science boxers get dropped & out boxed by punchers?
    Rd 5 or 6, Ray did have Tommy in trouble, but in rd 7, Hearns proved again how hittable Ray could be. "This is the most trouble I've ever seen Ray in"---Larry Merchant round 7. I agree!
    That round Ray didn't show any rolling with punches, slipping, weaving or throwback skills. He just took shot after shot proving his chin was True, not his skill level.
    Rd 11...my GOSH!!! Ray can take punches!! Hearns kept clocking him, drops him hard, but Ray rose again.
    Great boxers don't keep hitting on the break, but Ray did. The house booed the decision of a draw.

Norris whoops him, Camacho embarrasses him.
    Ray was a fast handed fighter who usually would stand flatfooted to generate power.
    Refused to fight Hagler so he embarrases him by calling an event at an arena to tell Halgar & fans, they will never fight.
    Punkish.
    Then when he attends the Haglar-Mugabi fight...said he saw a "chink" in his Armour and now wants to come out of retirement...because he saw a 'chink'. Great boxers don't need to find a chink. They will make one if need be.

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Muhammad Ali

Great fighter, but not the greatest HW of all time as a lot of people view him, as that crown obviously goes to Joe Louis. It seems that if you're great and keep shouting you're a goat or tbe or something like that, easily influenced people will just take that as truth.

Ali got a couple of gift decisions in his career that were very important for his public perception and opportunities he got due to them, which shouldn't have been there for him in the first place. That's why I always see gift decisions in boxing being mentioned many years after the fact, but still be counted as legit wins when it comes to overall career achievements.
    The guy was extremely good, certainly in his early career, but he had his flaws and was known to foul and spoil in almost every fight from age 30 on.

Not the greatest, Joe Louis is.

3. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    I've heard that a lot about Orlando Canizales. Mostly flamed because of the era he was in.

4. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    Sergio Martinez.

Very talented, but those who rank him as a MW great, not I. His greatest wins were over fighters his fans usually deride be it WIlliams or Pavlik. While I liked both guys, it was because of their exciting styles to engage, not because of who they beat or any level of skill.
    Pavlik lanky & strong as hell. Williams lanky & stamina-driven.

Neither fighter will smell the Hall of Fame unless they purchase a ticket like the rest of us. So Sergio & his taunting with his hands at his knees could only last as long as his reflexes.

5. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    and knees LOL!!

6. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    I won't flame you, so I'll let this old man do it for me!!!
    This content is protected

Robney likes this.