Great performances you don't like watching

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Tin_Ribs, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    First hand stories and experiences are the golden bread and butter of this forum and constitute many of the best stories I've heard on this forum over the last +10 years.

2. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Yeah surprising I knew Scotty and always though he wanted to be famous hence the outlandish pink panther gimmick and was a smooth boxer but not a upper echelon fighter if you catch my drift...he was like that as an amateur and used the same character as a pro it got him on TV against a few guys like Arguello and a beating by Chavez....he also had a band and wrote and played music....but yeah the fight was exactly that an old fighter who hit the end.

Another fight that bothers me and though I admired the brutal cruelty of the fight it became sickening Duran-Moore

Cooney-Norton that was a fight that was over after the first solid punch in the corner only to be followed up by 4 more clean loaded up punches...Norton did not deserve that

Holmes-Cobb not sure if it was Cosells reaction or the noncompetitive nature of the fight...I watched it with the sound off and Cosell was right to be disgusted with such a mismatch

Mancini-Bramble 1 Mancini was noticeably upset fighting after the Kim fight was the feeling then the build up with the Voo Doo angle with Bramble and Mancini's seemingly not really in to the actual fight.....

Arguello-Pryor after the black bottle incident and Panama Lewis made the fight and result feel wrong

LaMotta-Robinson VI is tough to watch after the 10th round knowing result

Billy Collins-Resto there was something wrong and Collins paid the price the fight is tough to watch

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    juppity and mrkoolkevin like this.
  3. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Nigel Benn vs Gerald McCellan and Chris Eubank Sr vs Michael Watson
    rematch. Great fights but knowing the tragic impact it had on the two
    fighters who were stopped it is tough to watch.

4. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ali vs Holmes....knowing how bad Ali's physical state was.
    Holmes vs Tex Cobb (see H.Cosell's comments)

Jay1990 and richdanahuff like this.
  5. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I think you mean how past his best was Saad, because Braxton was in his absolute prime. As for Saad, the first Braxton fight took a lot out of him. This fight finished him off. He was an empty shell of a fighter after Braxton II.

Boza's last good performance was in Spring '86 when he drew with (but was robbed, in my opnion) Terrence Ali. He looked okay against Camacho later in '86 who in fact he could never beat regardless of how prime Boza was. But, then he looked very vulnerable as he was dropped twice and barely won a decision over club fighter Ali Kareem Muhammad in summer '87. Against Ramirez, he looked jaded from the beginning.

In '84-86 Boza-Ramirez would have been much more competitive.

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Leonard against Hagler. He was just a step ahead of Marvin that night mentally. Still gotta marvel at what a great athlete did against a feared Middleweight Champion. It was definitely a performance.

Foreman vs Frazier. Both fighters were impressive. Foreman for his seek and destroy mindset after he got Frazier hurt initially. He kept Joe hurt. Joe Frazier was impressive in his desire to keep his title. A mere mortal would have stayed down after the 2nd or 3rd knockdown. He even hit George with a couple of decent hooks but nothing was fazing Foreman.

Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad. They were my two favorite fighters and I knew what was gonna happen months in advance. I even wrote a letter to Ring or KO mag predicting it. Felix Trinidad was hot at that time and it was good for the game. Hopkins was just all wrong for him.

7. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I still haven't forgiven Sanchez for those two fights, never will. The only other Sanchez fight I have ever watched was his fight with Eliseo Cosme. Even beating Gomez didn't get me to forgive Sanchez.

8. Gudetama

Gudetama Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Precisely this. Are you a Brit?

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I blame Dundee for not Stopping the fight sooner that's his fault. It's also his managements fault still trying to milk there cash cow. They knew Holmes was getting hard to handle when he worked for Ali let alone throwing him in with a prime Holmes. I never liked Ali but that was a crime that night.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    richdanahuff, Longhhorn71 and Saad54 like this.
  10. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Fury vs Klitschko

11. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Dundee probably didnt have the authority to stop the fight in reality. He wasnt a Muslim so i dont think he was able to until Herbert gave the word. Angie was good with the media and he was smart in the corner but this was over his head.

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I read that. I read how he had to wait from the signal from Herbert but I couldn't personally play along with it. If that's my man in there getting a life changing beating in there I'm jumping in there and stopping it. Let the chips fall where they may

Jay1990 likes this.
  13. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Kalambay-McCallum. Classic masterclass from Sumbu, but Mike is my favorite and it's hard to see him look so poor.

Tramell and lloydturnip like this.
  14. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I agree with you. By that time Angie knew it was over. 10 rounds was too long for that fight.

15. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I agree with you on that Russell!

Russell likes this.