Great performances you don't like watching

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Tin_Ribs, Mar 4, 2018.

1. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Not to take away from the post but my late boxing bud Mike and I saw Rosario on some Friday night fight in, I think, 1979. He dismantled and iced his opponent early!! We said afterwards: "Geez o pete! This guy is a frigging wrecking machine!"

lloydturnip and robert ungurean like this.
  2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't like watching Hearns vs. Barkley one. Hearns was about to stop him on cuts or a bodypunch and he was caught. Holmes vs. Tyson I do not watch much. Then there is Curry vs. McCallum which I watch over and over. I just love that fight.

3. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Worst Poster of 2015 Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Hopkins-Trinidad Literally never finished watching the entire fight, and haven't watched it since watching live back when I was 8 years old in 01. Brilliant performance by Hopkins, but the pre-fight racism left a sour taste in my mouth and I hated Hopkins ever since even though he's from my city Philly.

Any Jones bout after the Ruiz fight. He was clearly never the same fighter again, I've never watched any fights of his post Tarver except his fight with Calzaghe. I legit thought old man Jones had a chance vs Calzaghe for whatever reason, boy was I wrong. Sad, Jones is probably my favorite fighter of all time.

Cotto-Margarito It was a great fight, I watched the replay too and was in awe of Margarito's toughness and durability. He became a new fave fighter of mine and I picked him to literally kill Mosley in their upcoming bout. But due to the controversy of concrete in Margarito's gloves, I simply cannot watch any of Margarito's fights again pre brick scandal.

Bradley-Marquez.. Marquez is probably my fave fighter of the last generation, so seeing this fight left a sour taste in my mouth even though Bradley executed the perfect game plan.

Donaire-Montiel.. I liked Montiel, was a huge fan of his especially over his win over Hazegawa, another fave of mine. That left hook that Donaire threw at him was ****ing brutal though, one of the nastiest one punch KD's I've ever seen in professional boxing.

Diaz-Campbell... Diaz was quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters, I thought he was destined for greatness, watched all of his fights on HBO with my pops while he was unifying the LW division. Then here comes Nate ****ing Campbell, who beat his ass handily and and almost got robbed in Texas. Great performance by Campbell, I think that fight ruined Diaz ever since though.

J Jones, Tramell and The Morlocks like this.
  4. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Lloyd Honeyghan vs. Donald Curry. Curry is one of my absolute faves but it was heartbreaking to see the start of his downfall. Was never the same after that.

lloydturnip likes this.
  5. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Although I've caught highlights since, I've never fully re-watched Calzaghe/Lacy.

I found Mayweather's destruction of Gatti difficult to re-watch.

Both brilliant performances but somewhat tragic viewing, at the same time.

6. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Qawi vs Leon Spinks

Both Holmes-Shavers fights.

No Mas

The Thrilla

Ali - Liston Ii

7. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I don't know if it's considered a great fight but for me the second Ali-Frazier fight I found boring. Ali won it but clinched a lot, and when he hurt Joe badly in I believe it was the second round Tony Perez jumped in thinking that the round had ended, then had them resume boxing. George Foreman walked out of the arena after the 5th or 6th round, and when asked why, he replied "because I'm bored!"

8. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Chavez- Meldrick Taylor
    Holmes- Frazier... Larry looked great , but Joe's heartbroken face in the aftermath almost brought a tear to the eye:confundio1:

SluggerBrawler likes this.
  9. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Whitaker-Chavez. Was never a fan of Whitaker or his style and think he is slightly overrated on the all-time lists, both as a lightweight and p4p, but I acknowledge that he beat Chavez. Just didn't enjoy watching it at all.

10. Jake Speed

Jake Speed New Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Never watched a second of Tyson v Bruno II although I gather it was Tyson's best performance away from his eighties prime.

lloydturnip likes this.
  11. Gudetama

Gudetama Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2017
    The first meeting between Sonny Liston and Lennox Lewis was pretty savage. When Liston knocked Lewis out in the third round? Pretty savage. Oh, sorry. That was just my (realistic) dream. Haha! (please forgive my banter)

12. Hessu

Hessu The Worst Ever Full Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Meldrick Taylor vs Julio Cesar Chavez, for obvious reason. 2 seconds away from glory, Meldrick had a great performance but history mostly remembers just the winners. And it was shocking to see how Meldricks career went forward later on, brain damage and some how they let him fight. in the legendary nights episode of this fight they showed footage of his interviews, him talking. First after the fight, then after that and some other fights. Huge and scary difference. Boxing can be a brutal, brutal sport.

Edit: Seems like it was already mentioned. Hmm.

Well, lets just put Whitaker - Chavez here, some dirty moments there and I felt like Whitaker was straight robbed out of his victory.

Dont have anything against Chavez though even though he appears in the both of my mentions

13. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ali-Frazier III ... both on the downward side of prime, but brought everything to the table one last time. Frazier was considered to be a walkover, and Ali was supposedly distracted by his marriage issues; it didn't matter. When the bell rang, it was ON. Frazier gave it every last bit of his considerable will, and Ali weathered the storm and fired back when practically any other heavyweight would have either coasted or quit. The brutal conditions (ringside temps at least 90 degrees, with wilting humidity) only added to the imposed torture. Eddie Futch proved to be the sole voice of reason when he kept Joe from answering the bell for the 15th round ... all the speculation of what would have happened if he went out is, IMHO, sadistic. The only real outcome would have been one, or the other, or both being critically injured. It remains one of the fights I can watch maybe once a year. It's the best and worst of boxing in a single hour.

Clinton likes this.
  14. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Lewis beating Tyson. Everyone who knows anything about boxing knew that Lewis beat a shot Tyson but I knew that Lewis and his maniac British fans would celebrate like crazy and even today look back on it as a great win. Not Tysons biggest fan but still it didn't feel good seeing him as a shadow of his former self.

15. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Honeygan v Starling .the night of my 16 brithday and I was a big fan of Lloyd tough to watch but starling boxed brilliantly didn't watch it on the night as I was trying to get my legover with no luck!.Had the hate on for starling but gradually I realized what a good fighter he was now one of my favourites! Taylor v Norris was a another tough one I thought at the time it was a.bad move for meldrick a bigger man who hit hard and was almost as fast .to brave for his own good.