Greater at Heavy, Povetkin or Vitali?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by catchwtboxing, Aug 22, 2020.

Povetkin or Vitali

1. Povetkin

9.6%
  2. Even/no opinion/either way

6.0%
  3. Vitali

84.3%
  1. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne’s life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Close but Vitali. If it were a fight the cards would read 116-112

2. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    One of Vitali biggest strengths was his size and the fact he was matched up with plodders with no athletic ability.
    Povetkin has a showed a much higher skill level than Vitali , both in technique of punching and ring IQ. His shot selection is better , his range of punches is more varied and he is miles better in close.

3. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Against who though? He lost to the far inferior brother with an all-time glass chin.

4. The Underdog

The Underdog Member banned Full Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Povetkin. Vitalis resume is just too thin.

5. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Vitali was hurt against Sanders.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Both at their best i think Vitali picks him apart cautiously then lays it on him later in the fight. I cant see Vitali taking him lightly, he'd be focused and i think the range difference and height show massively with Vitali sitting back and possibly putting on a masterclass. Hes not getting sloppy and his chin even if he does is taking Pov's left hook. The more i think about it, i think Vitali beats the life out of him after 8

Heavy_Hitter and Big Ukrainian like this.
  7. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Thats a serious ko sniper that hurt him though, and a southpaw with range and height to land, Povs best shots are hooks, far less likely to land imo

8. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Vitali barely loses a round in this match up

9. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vitali but not by a huge amount.

Need to factor in some things.

Both Vitalis losses were by injury.

Povetkin shouldhave loses to Huck and Hunter as well.

But also Vitali had a size advantage over most his opponents and Povetkin is at a size disadvantage in most of his fights.

Vitalis resume is pretty poor, he was a better fighter than his rcord shows but what a poor era he fought in.

Somali Sanil and Big Ukrainian like this.
  10. Ted Stickles

Ted Stickles Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Povetkin has the better resume but head to head Vitali would have beaten him.

Somali Sanil likes this.
  11. vast

vast Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Vitali at this point.
    Now if Povetkin pulls off a couple more victories against top level comp it would tighten

12. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I had him beating Huck. Didn't watch Hunter. Perhaps the post should read: "many people felt that he lost to Huck and Hunter."

As for the losses being to injuries, injuries of one extent or another happen in almost every match. They are not really an excuse.

13. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The manner of wins matter to me.

So while Povetkin might have an edge on paper, that Vitali dominated his opposition, and Povetkin often labored or was in close affairs with similar level competition, is the difference maker to me.

Vitalis overall dominance, him being heavily favored to beat Povetkin head to head, and him rating higher head to head in general against the other historic heavyweights, has him rating higher all time, to me.

But its closer than I would have thought.

14. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work banned Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Those "top guys" povetkin beat all were exposed as average contenders evetnually though. Being at the top of a trash heap doesn't mean you beat top talent

15. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    How is it possible that Vitaly's division was the worst ever if a bunch of 40 year olds from that division are still at the top and knocking out top fighters?
    Povetkin, Helenius, Pulev are still competitive. Ortiz is 50 years old and ranked very high.

George Crowcroft and Liquorice like this.