Greatest Aura of Invincibility

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ironchamp, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    At one point, all of these fighters reached a level in which they came off as unbeatable.

Ali after Williams,
    Foreman after Norton,
    Frazier after Ali,
    Tyson after Spinks,
    Liston after Patterson, etc.

Some of these guys looked they they'd rule until they got old. No need for monday morning quarterbacks here but from foresight (as best as you can) which of these fighters simply looked unbeatable.

Which of these fighters had the greatest aura of invincibility?

Disscuss.

2. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Foreman has to be in the absolute elite... People were literally fearing he was going to kill Ali. Kind of hard NOT to think that after he absolutely destroyed Frazier twice and Norton to boot.

3. justaboxingfan

justaboxingfan Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Of the list I chose Mike Tyson. Though I would have also put in RJJ. In his prime he was unstoppable and his crowd-pleasing style made it that much sweeter.

4. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Foreman. He was big, strong, undefeated, destroyed Frazier and Norton in two rounds each, and had knocked out Peralta in the tenth round of their rematch. While Ali might have been predicted to dance his way to a decision win, the idea of a clean mid rounds knockout would have been utterly absurd to most.

5. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I voted for Tyson. When he lost to Douglas he was conserdered invincibial and for a lot of people the Aura of invincibility did not start co go away intell Holyfield beat him. Lewis of course put a complete end to his aura.
    All the other boxers in the poll had auras of invincibility as well but how many of them were still looked at as invincible long after their primes?

6. duran77

duran77 New Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Tyson by far. In an era where boxing was on the decline tyson brought it back in a weak era, not to mention he was young enough to be seen as the future dominant champ. No one has gotten as much attention as Tyson in the Media, not even Foreman. Just look at covers of Boxing magazines. Even after he was defeated people thought he was going to again be unbeatable. Maybe people just wanted him to be more than what he was then again maybe even the casual fan could see he was something special. Either way he was voted #1 most wasted talent of any athlete in history by ESPN, that in itself speaks volumes.

7. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Tyson mainly due to the era most of the top heavyweights were old are not that great Holyfield was still unproven at heavy and Bowe and Lewis had yet to arrive.

8. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
  9. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Marciano was view as unbeatable. Sure they may say Dempsey or Louis would have beating Rocky in thsos past match ups. But by the time Marciano rule the divsion with a iron fist, No one saw any one from the top ten contenders down, that could take Marciano's crown. People felt Wills had a good shot vs Dempsey. Or Schemling had a good shot in the rematch for the crown ete. But with Marciano, No one say Charles, or Moore beating the Rock. Even later champ Patterson was not view as a threat when he beat Moore for the crown. I read the Ring Mag of Marciano retirements, and the writer said that Marciano would have beating Patterson and Hurrican Jackson on the same night.

10. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    What a great question. Although I feel that it's the one all the historical no marks will vote for - have to agree with them. That's the score. He surpassed all those who went before, probably. But those who vote for him - pay careful attention to those on the list. They all deserve to be there. They are all there or there abouts. And for me, it is hard to vote for Tyson over Louis who created horrible fear.

11. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Lennox Lewis should be on the list. I bet in terms of inspiring terror in contendors he is #1.

Chris?

12. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Definitely Hagler after beating Scypion in four. Combine that with the other recent performances--Obel, Lee, Hamsho, and Sibson, and you have the perfect performances from the perfect fighter. That's as good as it ever gets.

Very close runner up: Thomas Hearns after flattening Duran. I was a believer.

You can throw in the Shuler fight-so awe inspiring that I forgot about the defeat to Hagler. And that body was awesome too with all those muscles. He looked perfect to me.

13. Lefty Supremacy

Lefty Supremacy Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2007
    I'm gonna toss Carlos Monzon out there.

14. Lacyace

Lacyace Forever Knight Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm going to go with RJJ. I've seen the Tarver KO like 20 times and I still can't believe it.

15. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I'll do a poll for the lower weights.