Greatest Contenders - Featherweights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by scartissue, Jan 19, 2021.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Continuing our discussion. Today, give me your 15 greatest contenders never to win the featherweight title.

The rules are, they must have competed at the weight and never won a World, WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO, NBA or NYSAC recognized title at the selected weight (Interim, Colored, White, IBU, BBBC, state recognized other than New York, Country only recognized or any organization south of WBO are not recognized titles, so their champions are eligible as contenders). Also, since I am not recognizing Straw, jr. fly, super fly, super bantam, super middle or cruiser, the champions and contenders in the omitted classes are eligible at the higher weight. If they did move up and win that respective title like Roman Gonzalez, they are ineligible as a contender. Easy enough? Please ask if I am gliding over something. And don't sweat the order, just give me your best 15.

Here are mine:

-Owen Moran
    -Nel Tarleton
    -Charley Riley
    -Percy Bassett
    -Flash Elorde
    -Ismael Laguna
    -Mitsunori Seki
    -Dwight Hawkins
    -Fighting Harada
    -Art Hafey
    -Ruben Castillo
    -Patrick Ford
    -Bernard Taylor
    -Rocky Lockridge
    -Kennedy McKinney

Okay, guys, hit me!

Clinton, HolDat, AlFrancis and 2 others like this.
  2. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Think I'd add Ray Famechon to the list.

Clinton, young griffo and Mike Cannon like this.
  3. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Ray's a good addition. I still remember old acquaintances of my Dad's talking about his fight with Spider Kelly. Featherweight is ripe with great contenders. Who else do you have in your basket, Al?

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Before I jump into a list, I feel like Samart Payakaroon, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Daniel Zaragoza all deserve a higher place on this list than McKinney. They were all better SBWs IMO.

-Owen Moran
    -Flash Elorde
    -Ismael Laguna
    -Dwight Hawkins
    -Fighting Harada
    -Charley Riley
    -Daniel Zaragoza
    -Ray Famechon
    -Rocky Lockridge
    -Ruben Castillo
    -Percy Bassett
    -Guillermo Rigondeaux
    -Art Hafey
    -Bernard Taylor
    -Samart Payakaroon

Clinton and HolDat like this.
  5. AlFrancis

Jul 25, 2008
    I'd have to have a think. Your list is full of the usual suspects, there are probably a few more from pre 60s. Floyd Robertson came to mind, he definitely looked unlucky against Sugar Ramos but I think his form after that probably excludes him. Rocky Juarez never won a title did he?

6. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    George, Daniel Zaragoza just jumps off the page. An outstanding pick. I always felt Payakaroon and Rigondeaux were a bit light total career-wise. But then again, what do I know? I have Patrick Ford on my list, who is also very light career-wise. I was just so damn impressed with him when I saw him. And that's what it is all about. Who grabs our eye and attention. Who makes us think, 'Wow, that is one good fighter.' So I say, excellent choices, my man. You always have great lists.

7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I wouldn't think it would exclude Floyd. He held some nice wins over some top European and African fighters of the day and really it was after his title bout with Saldivar that it became more noticeable. But like you said, the Ramos fight sticks in ones mind and I say he is very worthy here. Also, you're right, Rocky Juarez never won world honors and is a solid pick.

AlFrancis likes this.
  8. clum

clum Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Spider Nemoto, if just for that fight when it looked like Pedroza was beating up a kid.

He actually had a good career at the domestic level but probably didn't do well enough above that to make a list like this. Boxrec doesn't have a single win listed for him in anything more than a ten-rounder.

Saintpat likes this.
  9. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Good shout, is there a place for Evan Armstrong ? a dour, tough, implacable fighter.

AlFrancis likes this.
  10. Mike Cannon

Apr 29, 2020
    Or maybe Percy Lewis / Eloy Sanchez.

11. AlFrancis

Jul 25, 2008
    Evan fought them all including me dad,

12. Mike Cannon

Apr 29, 2020
    Not sure how long ago 10/15 years maybe, I went along to Muswell Hill golf club to attend the Henry Cooper golf classic , it was held there for many a year, over the times I went saw and spoke to dozens of ex fighters, Conteh was the master of ceremonies most years, and he did a great job ( should have been a comedian ) I was in my element, amongst others who I spoke to were = Conteh, Buchanan, Sollas, Brian Hudson, Jimmy Anderson, Freddie King, Dave Parris, Mickey Carter, Eric Blake, Morton Lewis, ( Ted Kids son ) Jimmy Batten, Tony Humm, Mark Rowe ( true warrior ) Ralph Charles, Johnny Pritchet, then one time I saddled up to a rather lonely looking chap, sitting on his own keeping himself to himself, and of course recognized him as Alan Rudkin !! I offered to buy him a drink, he declined, no prob, I told him that I liked watching him fight, and said he did very well to go 15 with two good great champions, and to lose to Olivares ( peak then ) was certainly no disgrace, he was very humble and dismissive of my sincere praise, we chatted for a while, then some friends of his rejoined us, so I made my excuses and left.
    It was a honor to have spent some time in your dads company, and a chat I will treasure. keep well.

13. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Clum, I feel funny vetting some of these fighters because I don't really think its my place to say no. I think its more in the eye of the beholder. If I was, I would probably say no, due to the fact I believe Nemoto was a product of the WBA's affiliation with Japan/South Korea/South Africa cartel and the big monies generated from them which always lined up one of the favored sons into a title shot. Man, I remember seeing Tae Ho Kim, Zensuke Utagawa, Sa Wang Kim, Bashew Sibaca and Spider Nemoto (twice) lining up for their shot and absolutely everyone in the arena or at home on TV knew they didn't have a prayer. In a perfect boxing world, very doubtful they would have ever seen a title fight outside of domestic. However, if you have seen something in Spider that I have missed and are impressed with him to a degree that you would like to include him on the greatest contender list, that's OK by me. Would you like him listed?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Mike, your picks of Evan Armstrong and Percy Lewis are both credible, however, Eloy Sanchez was a world class bantamweight. He eventually moved up to 126 late in his career but really didn't do anything there other than engage in a losing contest to Juan Ramirez for the Mexican featherweight title. I can absolutely include him at 118. Would that be alright?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. clum

clum Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2017
    No, I mentioned him because he's a fun, memorable fighter, but I agree with you. Like I said, there's no standout win in his record, and he didn't come close to winning either of his title opportunities (well, the Japanese judge had him losing to Pedroza by just one point). A fight between him and another of Pedroza's challengers, the aforementioned Pat Ford, would have been hilarious to see, though.

George Crowcroft and scartissue like this.