Greatest KO puncher using single punches

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Arminius, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Julian Jackson,Bob Foster,Hearns,Marciano,Louis,Tyson,Lewis

2. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Louis is a good answer, but Uzcudun, strictly speaking, was not a true one punch knockout in the sense of going down for the count. Paulino got back to his feet by Arthur Donovan's count of seven (shocking both Donovan and Louis), but Donovan waved the action off rather than motioning Louis in for the kill.

3. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    That's a good pick. I'd have never thought that anyone could knockout Steve Robinson with a single punch. Hamed rarely threw combinations at all; he was all about knocking people out with uppercuts that started at the knee and short hooks that could barely be caught on camera.

Julian Jackson is another candidate. He'd be losing a fight, and then BANG! one single right hand would at least have his opponent on the way out. Herol Graham looked like he was doing stage theatre when that right hand landed. Combine his power with the fact Jackson was a brilliant finisher, and his success in spite of all his faults becomes clear.

4. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    Right, but that doesn't mean they punched as hard as Shavers. Marciano and Tyson were faster and quicker, with shorter arms. Lewis had far better skills, and a superior delivery system. All three possessed greater durability than Shavers. (Although I have been critical of both Lewis and Tyson, they were certainly more prolific one punch knockout producers than the much cruder and far more unidimensional Shavers).

Sheer power is always trumped by greater speed, impeccable timing and perfect placement. Although I consider Shavers to clearly be the hardest puncher in boxing's history, I do not consider him to have been a great knockout artist (or Max Baer, for that matter). Arguello and Louis were much better in this respect, as was Marciano (and Tyson and Lewis, from what others have indicated).

5. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Rocky Marciano. His 1 punch KO over Walcott in their first fight has to be in the top 3 of all time. Another one is Julian Jackson.

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think most of the choices so far have been poor to been poor to be honest.

How many fighters have regularly knocked out an oponent with a single well timed punch specificaly inteded to be the knockout punch?

Joe Choynski

Bob Fitzsimmons

Sam Langford

Jersey Joe Walcott

Ingemar Johansen

Keep em coming

7. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
  8. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    Cuevas is the first name which comes to my mind. As Howard Cosell calmly intoned during Pipino's final successful title defense against Harold Volbrecht (with SRL at his side), "Every punch Cuevas throws is an intended knockout blow." The jam packed crowd in Houston was raucously supportive of Cuevas, but Volbrecht performed well, moving in with multi punch combinations, then getting the hell out of the way. Pipino just took his punches, with no change in his expression. (I don't remember Cuevas even trying to protect himself. No bobbing, no weaving, not using his arms in any kind of defensive manner. Volbrecht looked like he was bouncing marbles off a wall.) Through the first four rounds, it seemed as though Pipino didn't attempt a single punch (as it was being watched on live TV).

Finally, with the roars for Cuevas mounting to a crescendo, Pipino tossed a left hook, seemingly his first attempted punch of the bout. It looked as though it caught Harold high on the temple. Volbrecht just crumpled bacwards to the floor, and there was no question he was staying there for the count. After Montreal, everbody was convinced that if Duran tried to fight Cuevas the way he dethroned SRL, that Pipino would surely knock Roberto out. (What Hearns eventually did to Duran is what Cuevas was actually expected to do, if he met Duran in a WW unification showdown.)

Overlooked in the awe with which Tommy's destruction of Duran is viewed is the stunning nature of Roberto's own win over Cuevas when they finally did meet. Even after Pipino's loss to the older, but skilled and talented upstart Roger Stafford, it was expected that when he did hit Duran, Cholo would drop. (Remember, at the time Cuevas faced Duran, he had barely turned 25.) That Roberto took what Cuevas had to dish out (unlike Tommy, who Pipino never had a chance to get a decent shot at) made his crumbling at the feet of Hearns even more shockingly unexpected.

9. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Shaver's was the hardest one punch hitter of all time, he wasn't as accurate as alot of the other and didn't have there boxing skills, but he threw some mean punch's. People like ali say he was the hardest hitting guy so why do people doubt him so much?

10. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

He´s very overrated. He wasn´t even in his era the hardest puncher ever. That was Mac Foster.

11. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    Funny how most top pro boxers say shavers and you a guy on an internet boxing forum knows better ok lol

12. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    In regards to hamed he threw some huge punch's and p4p has to be one of the hardest one hit puncher's of all time.

13. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

Ali said much when the day is long. Folley and Williams both said he was the hardest hitter they were in the ring with. Foster KO´d fighters like Williams, Folley, Ros (never KD before in over 60 fights), Spencer, etc., and he reportedly knocked down Liston in the late 60s in sparring. He retired with 30 wins all by the way of KO...

14. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Both Holmes and Ali have fought huge punchers, and both said Shavers hit hardest. Shavers was the hardest hitter, but not the best 1 punch KO person.

15. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

I don´t really care what fighters say. Simply because it has also to do with sympathies for example. Or when you for example made a stellar performance against this fighter, you of course make him much better than he actually was (to hype up your win), that´s nothing new. I know 2 people who live in that era yet and both said they think Foster was the hardest puncher out of Shavers, Liston, Frazier and Foster. Unfortunately he wasn´t that fast or that skilled...