Greatest Round 3 of all time

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saintpat, May 24, 2020.

What’s the Greatest Round Three of All Time?

Poll closed May 27, 2020.
  1. Roberto Duran-Esteban De Jesus II

16.7%
  2. Wilfredo Gomez-Lupe Pintor

25.0%
  3. Nigel Benn-Lou Gent

8.3%
  4. Jose Napoles-Billy Backus I

33.3%
  5. Juan Manuel Marquez-Michael Katsidis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Márquez II

8.3%
  7. Manuel Ramos-Sugar Ramos

8.3%
  1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    This is an extension of the Let’s Create the Perfect Fight ... Round by Round thread:

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/let’s-create-the-perfect-fight-round-by-round.648592/

Ground rules: This fight is going the distance, so each nominated round has to go the full three minutes — so something like the 12th round of Chavez-Taylor I is not eligible. All weight divisions are eligible. And in rounds where the participants faced each other more than once, please specific which fight. Gloved era only.

Rounds were nominated by members of this forum. If some round you think should be in there isn’t, hey, you had your chance. Go to the link above and you can nominate Rounds 4-15 candidates.

And importantly, this should be about the best rounds not the most historically significant.

Not surprisingly, Hagler-Hearns was the runaway winner for greatest Round One of all time.

Terry Norris-Troy Waters was a narrow winner for Round Two.

The nominated third rounds are in the poll. I’ll leave voting open for 72 hours and we’ll move along to Round 4, then 5, etc., until we’ve gotten through 15. PLEASE WATCH THESE AND VOTE!!!:

Roberto Duran-Esteban De Jesus II (fast forward to 9:08)
    This content is protected

Wilfredo Gomez-Lupe Pintor (fast forward to 10:45)

Nigel Benn-Lou Gent (fast forward to 15:15)

Jose Napoles-Billy Backus I (fast forward to 6:00)

Juan Manuel Marquez-Michael Katsidis (fast forward to 17:40)

Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Márquez II (fast forward to 16:20)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5bS2NRr8s

Mando Ramos-Sugar Ramos (fast forward to 13:03)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4aQ_pahdbM

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    JC40 and George Crowcroft like this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Backus vs. Napoles I Round 3 is my favorite to be honest, but they are all great rounds, DeJesus-Duran and Gomez-Pintor were savagely fought though.

3. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    My apologies for calling Mando Ramos “Manuel” in the poll portion. It won’t let me edit that.

It’s Mando Ramos-Sugar Ramos.

Clinton and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Ya, cuz I was gonna say that hw Manuel Ramos that fought Frazier, Terrell, and Machen probably didn't fight Sugar Ramos

5. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Sugar would have sweetened them up.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Man, I just loved this. There wasn't a dud in the bunch. I figured I would be leaning towards Gomez v Pintor, but watching them all one after the other had me changing my mind. My runner-up was Marquez v Katsidis, but sustained action rose to the top for me on this one. There may not have been a knockdown but back and forth warfare and the gore to prove it had me casting my vote for Ramos v Ramos. I had a sweat on me after watching those 7 rounds.

Clinton, George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  7. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Had to go with Backus-Napoles but a lot to choose from here.

I thought the Benn and Pac-JMM ones lagged for one reason or another — Benn was one-sided and the Pac round had a few explosive moments but a lot of caution — but the rest were thrilling.

scartissue, George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  8. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Wow - great action here!

In reverse order:
    7. Benn-Ghent: apart from a couple of flurries from Gent, this was one sided. Great fun and remarkable heart from Gent, though.

6. Juan Manuel Marquez - Manny Pacquiao 2: excellent action but agree with Pat's comment - just a little too reserved to truly explode.

5. Duran-DeJesus 2: some great infighting action but a bit too much holding that broke up the flow a bit.

4. Napoles v Backus 1: took a little while to get going but then exploded into life.

3. Mando Ramos v Sugar Ramos: by the end of this series, I might vote in one of the rounds from this fight (sorry, Scar) but regardless, top action and a nice narrative with Mando's comeback at the end to put Sugar in trouble.

2. Marquez-Katsidis: I watched this the other day when I watched the whole fight and it has improved on second viewing! Huge KD against Marquez but the action that followed was non-stop and very clean; just balls-to-the-wall action.

1. Gomez-Pintor: This won The Ring's Round of the Year for 1982. Now, when you consider that it was the same year that featured Pryor-Arguello rounds 1 and 13, Chacon-Limon rounds 14 and 15 (but pick any from that one) - all nominated as part of this series - as well as fights like Sanchez-Nelson and Mancini-Kim, this had to be a pretty damn special round. And it was.

What edged this to the top for me was that the action started from the bell, it was a true two way battle where both fighters looked in trouble but came back, and it was clean the whole way through. Being this early in the fight, both fighters still had plenty left in the tank and they just let it all out. What a round!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  9. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I was initially sleeping on Backus-Napoles because of the lack of sound but I'm glad I didn't. Holy hell. Easily gets my vote, with Duran-Estaban in a semi-distant but comfortable second.

10. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    This may end up being the one where we end up with votes for the most different choices. Keep ‘em coming.

11. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Shameless daily bump.

George Crowcroft and JC40 like this.
  12. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Always wanted an excuse to post this.
    "Nine years later, in the fall of 1969 when Williams was over the hill and trying to recapture some of his old magic, he seemed to stumble into a time warp and revisit the Liston fights against another hungry contender in former Marine, Mac Foster. In September of that year, Mac stopped Cleve in the fifth round in Fresno. In November the two men locked horns in another thriller and Foster knocked out Williams in the third at Houston.

That third round of the return match was rated the fifth best round of the year by The Ring magazine and described as “…. a thrill-packed session which began with Williams rushing out of his corner and attacking with a crisp left hook at close range. A sharp right hand buckled Foster’s knees. It seemed as if the Big Cat had regained his old power and was showing young Foster how it ought to be done.

“But Mac fought back with a vengeance. They slugged it out with lefts and rights, with Williams seemingly having an edge in the furious exchange. Foster shot a vicious left hook to the Big Cat’s jaw which floored him. After Cleve arose, another hook sent him back to the canvas. A few moments later, Foster landed a tremendous left hook to Williams’ jaw, then crashed a right and it was all over. Williams fell heavily to the floor.”

http://archive.boxing.media/careful_with_that_cleaver_cleve.html

13. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    That’s cool. Appreciate you sharing.

That round wouldn’t qualify under the criteria here — only completed 3-minute rounds — but I’m sure it would be worth checking out.

14. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    My apologies!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    All discussion is good. If you have any (complete) Rounds 4-15 to nominate that aren’t on the OP list yet, please do so.

swagdelfadeel likes this.