Greatest Wins of Larry Gains and George Godfrey II?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Mar 25, 2019.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Next in the series after Primo Carnera

I want to get on with this series, though I haven't found as much on these guys as I'd like. I'll need to revisit these two.

Because of the lack of info, I won't do the usual three categories.

For Larry Gains I'll pick his win over Primo Carnera. Schemling was a better fighter, but too far from his prime IMO.

For Godfrey I'll pick his win over Larry Gains

I'll need to revisit these guys, but I want to go ahead and do the Baer thread.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Yeah Schmeling was only 19 when he lost to Gains. Schmeling wanted a rematch years later and Gains name was floated as a possible title defense for Schmeling.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    If you can find it Gains' autobiography," The Impossible Dream ," is a good read.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It would have been a good time to do Baer, since he is generating threads right now!

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Godfey's best win is his 1928 win over Paulino Uzcdun, who was ranked #3 behind Godfrey at #2 in the end of year rankings for that year. This is the high point of Godfrey's standing. By the same logic I would say that Larry Gain's win over Godfrey in the same year is probably his best win, because Godfrey was still in the top three at the end of 1929.