Groves broke his jaw....

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Finchley, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Finchley

Finchley Member Full Member

May 19, 2011
    George Groves has revealed he broke his jaw in the 3rd round against Chudinov. I thought he was talking a bit weird in the post fight interview. That might explain why he went a bit gung-ho to get him out of there. I know people on here felt his tactics were wrong (me included) but it makes a bit more sense now. Fair play to George, it was a good win against a tough (but limited) opponent. Also should put to bed the myth that Groves can't handle it when the going gets tough. Might mean he doesn't fight again this year though

Northadox likes this.
  2. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Yea he sounded like he had a speech impediment.

Groves is tough as hell you can see he's only it limited by His gas tank and jaw which is average. He always gives it his best

Odins beard likes this.
  3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Should have quit imo

lawslaw and Robney like this.
  4. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    There's no quit in Groves that's for sure

How bad is the injury, must be a good couple of months without sparring?

No Groves vs Degale next then I guess?

5. boglemcneep

boglemcneep Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Brook would have took a knee and ordered room service.

lawslaw likes this.
  6. Mc2

Mc2 Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Still dont get the tactics from the first bell. I know groves raves about mcguigan. And fair play he seems very good at getting these guys in decent shape etc. But tactically i think hes terrible. Either that or these guys arent listening to him.

Thats both groves and haye sent out to exchange from the off. Problem with that is they both have shakeish chins plus they ve shown before they can fight very well without needing to exchange. Starting to think its more down to booth being a hard act to follow. He just ended up trying to be a bit too smart for his own good in the end.

Good win for groves tho. One of my favourite fighters. But for me he,d have ended up a much better fighter with booth. I dont think hes really any better than he was under paddy. He just came up against a massively underrated fighter at the time...against jack. Looks a bit stronger under mcguigan but actually think he makes more mistakes.

7. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    all the more reason why the stoppage was suspect imo

8. cfckieran

cfckieran Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2016
    The guy was shipping so many hard shots without reply and didnt complain when stopped. If it had carried on like that he would have had permanent damage.

Pez and Bax183 like this.
  9. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    You must be a troll.

If you REALLY think that stoppage was suspect you need to start following another sport.

Bax183 likes this.
  10. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Agreed. In fact the moment the ref stopped it Chudinov nodded to the ref, as if to confirm he agreed it was a fair stoppage.

11. tdf1974

Sep 9, 2013
    who had the broken jaw?....

Well done Groves etc but it was much worse than his stoppage v Froch

12. tdf1974

Sep 9, 2013
    did he wink too?

they both bet on same stoppage

13. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    The guy took about 30 unanswered power shots off groves a puncher

14. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    Of course it was a suspect stoppage

The fight was more than competitive amd it was the 1st period of dominance by either fighter. Groves was mostly hitting arms and barely wobbled Chudinov it wasn't like he was wobbling over the ring.

Groves looked like he was tiring too, his punches were starting to have less effect even if Chudinov wasn't firing back, why would he fire back at that point any way, he was definitely hurt and Groves is much quicker and he may have been ktfo if he got countered. It would have been better to wait for Groves to stop punching then jump on him.

This was a much worse stoppage than Groves vs Froch 1, actually that stoppage was good. Groves could barely even make his feet and was doomed.

sharpy and tdf1974 like this.
  15. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    His brother took the same punishment from CEJ for 11 rounds and kept going, I am sure he could have been given more than 1 flurry to find out what he had!

He wasn't close to being dropped!!