Groves v Eubank in Manchester?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Here's Johnny, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    There are strong rumours on Twitter this will now be at The Manchester Arena. People are saying this won't sell out 'up North' with the apparent £70 cheapest tickets. In my opinion it's a much better option than a stadium fight for weather, atmosphere and views.

I personally think it will sell out, particularly if ITV step up their game promoting the event, which they've been terrible at since they came back into the sport. This is THE real opportunity to announce themselves as players in boxing. They should do one or two behind the ropes/gloves are off type programmes late on a weekend night on ITV1 and it would lure tonnes of PPV buyers in. I am not usually a big advocate of such programmes for every fight like Sky insist upon but for certain fights I think it's great. The Froch Groves one was gripping and the Whyte and Joshua one was good aswell.

This could be huge if promoted right.

2. S.K

S.K Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 7, 2017
    If it's manchester I'll definitely be going, I think it will sell out.

£70 cheapest tickets surely can't be true though?

That's nearly double what Hearn charges on a AJ show!

3. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Remember the issues with GGG V Eubank and Eubank wanting to raise the prices for tickets.

4. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    The high ticket prices will definitely be of Eubank's making- to be fair to the Sauerlands they usually are quite reasonable with their ticket prices.

I hope ITV get behind this too- it's just a shame it won't be on FTA TV mainly down to Eubank's side.

5. Here's Johnny

Jan 18, 2015
    I was thinking of possibly going to the Callum Smith v Skoglund show in Liverpool. The cheapest were around £70 for that if I remember right so I think it's believable.

I'm happy if it is Manchester myself only down the road and a tenner train :clapclap:. 17th Feb and 24th Feb are the supposed dates and when I was booking my refundable hotels earlier both days said 400 odd people had booked them hotels that day. I think people in the know are swooping for the hotels now.

6. EastLondonDan

EastLondonDan Active Member Full Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I personally think this will be at The o2 Arena, The Script are playing at the o2 on the 17th but the 24th is still free.

As for Manchester Arena, they have both weekends free, there was a show running from 22nd to 25 Feb that has been cancelled.

I'd happily travel to Manchester for this, just waiting for the announcement.

dellboi94 and Sugar 88 like this.
  7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    This should be at the O2. Best large arena for boxing in the UK IMO.

Sugar 88 likes this.
  8. EastLondonDan

EastLondonDan Active Member Full Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I think it will be - am I right in saying that is has to happen before 24th Feb? The early talk of saying this may well be an outdoor event has to be a non-starter surely?
    o2 will be better for me as I live not far from there, but I'd also travel to Manchester too for this one.

9. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I’d be tempted by Manchester but would prefer the o2 as it’s only a few tube stops away...not sure how the MEN is for transport but surely can’t compete with London?

Ultimately this will sell out wherever it is imo...it’s about which venue is available and maximise profits...

10. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I think it's going to be held at the o2 arena

11. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Really want to go to this but i wont be paying silly money to get a ticket. No doubt the undercard will be dreadful too

12. Bondy365

Bondy365 Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2016
    I purchased my ticket for the smith skoglund fight for £35 or £40 and even then the echo was no where near full.

13. MCFC_EW

MCFC_EW Active Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    It would have sold a lot better if theyd have put the quarter finals on ITV instead of box office.

14. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    The fighters aren't getting PPV cuts and gate cuts!

The fighters get set purses!

I hope Braemher beats Smith and the final is in Germany, the sooky British public don't deserve a final!

Groves vs Eubank is a huge fight and there will only be 20k tickets 70 quid is a bargain

15. Here's Johnny

Jan 18, 2015
    I was sure when I looked on the Echo website it was dearer. Must have been wrong.