Hagler v Leonard 1982

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JudgeDredd, Sep 16, 2009.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes not like Leonard was on the slide or not even active.

Bokaj likes this.
  2. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Nothing wrong with Leonards chin.

3. Furey

Oct 18, 2009
    If Hagler was on the slide, what does that make Leonard?

Wasn't a natural middleweight to begin with, had suffered a detached retina and had been out the ring 3 years....

Bokaj and JohnThomas1 like this.
  4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    An unknown quantity with a lot less wear-and-tear (Leonard had had half the number of fights that Hagler had accumulated), allegedly ring-rusty (in spite of claims Leonard had been involved in private bouts behind closed doors) and a boxer with a strategy, which enabled him to take advantage of a ring-weary Hagler (which had become evident during Hagler/Mugabi and, even then, Leonard's approach to the fight made it such a close run affair that many observers believe Hagler won).

5. Furey

Oct 18, 2009
    Clutching at straws there. Behind closed doors or not, he hadn't fought under the lights at the top level for 3 years and was making a jump up to Middleweight all after a major eye injury.

You can't make Leonard went in with this old ring worn battle horse that was way past his sell by date as that is just putting a spin on the truth. Going into that fight, nobody gave Leonard a hope...Hagler the #1 in the division , coming off numerous solid wins most by stoppage, a career middleweight and naturally bigger man.

Bokaj and JohnThomas1 like this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hagler would get Leonard by the 9 th and rip in to him. Sugar try to fight back and then cover up but no stopping Hagler here. His spiteful punches have Leonard wincing with pain. By round 10, Sugars looking startled cos he knows what's coming his way. A final flurry from Leonard has Marvin grinning as he whams his shots in.
    Seconds later and Leonard is down!!
    He gamely attempt s to recover but Marv s in full destruction mode and batters him along the ropes, until the ref decides enough.
    Marvin Hagler retain s his undisputed middle weight title again.

7. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Not clutching at anything - just laying out some facts. You do know that Leonard had fought since having his eye surgery, don't you?

I can and I have. Hagler was on the verge of retirement, after Mugabi and it took some convincing for him to even take the Leonard fight. In Arum's words, in August '86: Hagler was "95% retired... ...I feel he's retired."

No spin... ...just the truth.

Hagler was, of course, the number-1 in the division because he remained the unbeaten Champ - but he was on the verge of retirement and that cannot be ignored just because the Leonard Hype-Machine was playing on Hagler's fierce reputation.

Hagler was naturally the betting favorite but I tipped Leonard to win and, if you were around at the time, you'll know that a few other observers did, as well.

WoodCy likes this.
  8. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Re-watched yesterday. every time I watch Hagler looks slower. He was awful, really.

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    How many here thought Leonard would win before the fight?

10. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    I did.

Bokaj likes this.
  11. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Hagler by late stoppage.

12. Saad54

Dec 10, 2014
    Not many.

It was thought the long layoff and move up in weight class would be too much to overcome.

Honestly, Hagler was not looked at as badly slipping.

A lot of guys say on this board now that Hagler was practically shot when he fought Leonard. This is practicing revisionist history. The struggle with Mugabi was looked at more as a great performance by Mugabi than slippage by Hagler.

The Morlocks, Eddie Ezzard and Bokaj like this.
  13. Saad54

Dec 10, 2014
    He was always slower than Leonard.

Even in 82 he would have had a hand and foot speed disadvantage.

I think he would put his punches together a bit better than he could in 87, though.

His strength and relentlessness would likely rule the day.

It would be competitive, though and Ray would land a lot of leather.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  14. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Hagler and the stage he was at in his career was being discussed by a few, at the time. There's an article somewhere, written pre-fight, in which Bert Sugar, Lou Duva and a former Lightweight Champ (who I can't remember the name of right now) all tipped Leonard to win and all three talked about Hagler having slowed down, as being one of the reasons they felt Leonard would win.

15. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    • In a UPI poll of 21 writers covering the fight, 18 picked Hagler to win and three picked Leonard.
    • Hagler opened as a 4-1 betting favorite when the match was announced in November 1986. By the day of the fight, the odds had fallen to 3-1.
    • Hagler entered the fight ranked as the No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer in the world by KO Magazine.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Marvin_Hagler_vs._Sugar_Ray_Leonard

JohnThomas1 likes this.