Hagler v Leonard 1982

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JudgeDredd, Sep 16, 2009.

1. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Notice that every explanation you give, I shoot it down?

The explanation you just gave about needing special once in a lifetime challenges wouldnt explain his comeback at 40 after watching Camacho "beat" Duran.

Why risk your eyesight at age 40 than age 26.

2. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Hagler wins a unanimous decision probably around 10-5, or 11-4.Leonard had problems with Kalue at JMW, and Hagler was probably in the latter stages of his prime, so Leonard doesn't have a strong chance here.

3. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    my thoughts are that Leonard always beats Hagler by decision. He has his number. As long as he boxed and didn't fight hagler he would win.

4. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
  5. jaffay

jaffay New Orleans Hornets Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
  6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Never would have happened.After publicly discussing a Hagler-Leonard fight for the better part of 6 years,but never acting on it,Leonard wanted NOTHING to do with Hagler until he was certain Hagler was shot,which he was.However,in 1982,a big,strong southpaw like Hagler that was close to prime would have worn Leonard down,possibly stopping him late.

WoodCy likes this.
  7. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Leonard had problems with southpaws,which is why it was astonishing Hagler began their fight in the orthodox stance.

8. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    :goodTerrific post:good

9. mister

mister Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2010
    ray wins by kayo,leonard is way to fast and has very good power,rays power was underestimated during his career and in 82 it was at its best:think

10. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    In the 2nd paragraph,you wrote that Hagler hated Leonard.During their careers,Hagler considered Leonard a friend.In public,Hagler never demonstrated malice towards Leonard.Even though there was an ILLUSION of their fight happening earlier due to Leonard's openly discussing it,Hagler was quite friendly to Leonard(and vice versa of course as Leonard was always gauging Hagler up close).Hagler may have been resentful of Leonard's massive paydays and wanted a piece of the action,but finally didn't realize what a conman Leonard was until the fight between them was transpiring.A good source of these events is Steve Marantz's book,as he outlines everything quite nicely and truthfully.

11. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Nobody,but nobody in the history of the sport from middleweight on down ko's Hagler.Past it Marvin was off his feet once on a flash knockdown when he was off balance against a good puncher like Juan Roldan.That's it.It's astonishing that you would even write that down.

12. mister

mister Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2010
    this has nothing to do with what would of happened if they fought in 82,i am not going to read a book to come up with an opinion,boxing is all about hype and good hype creates lucrative paydays:think

13. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    Ray of 1982 was quick and would outbox Marvin. Ray in 1987 was still good and Marvin was rusty and not very inspired, and Ray knew Marvin was slowing down, but the fact is that Marvin's style was always made for Ray. The only way I see Ray losing is if you put the Hagler of 1985 who fought Hearns who was pumped up and motivated against the Ray of 1987. I think that Hagler stops Ray in 4 or 5 no matter what Ray does.

14. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    :nutI don't even know why you responded to this post.First off,it wasn't directed at you and all I was doing was refuting something that Duranimal wrote down that wasn't quite correct.AND,in this post I wasn't discussing what would have happened in the proposed 82 fight(which had no chance of happening in 82 due to Leonard),as I've done that in another post:nut

15. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Not only did Leonard duck Hagler for many years,but Hagler fought southpaw and had a longer reach than Leonard.Leonard had oodles of problems with southpaw Kalule.In 82,Hagler beats Leonard,not that that matters anyway because Lennie was too busy ducking him.