Hagler vs Roldan- a legit knockdown?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by bill poster, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bill poster

bill poster Guest

I think it was rd 3(?) that Roldan scored Haglers only ever official knockdown..many say it was a slip.
    Or was it legit? Roldan scored with a punch prior to the 'cuff' on the back of the head which sent Hagler briefly to the canvas..Did the preceding punch make Hagler off balance, meaning it was legit?

google images hagler roldan- you will see a vid clip link from putfile.com

can't load the link on here

2. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
  3. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    it was round one in the opening seconds of the fight. Poorest excuse for a knockdown you can think of. For one, no blow had landed and Hagler was actually slipping under a blow. Poor judgement call by the ref.

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    It was not a legit Knockdown.

5. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    The sound of the punch is what made the referee call it, but he was wrong. I can't say I'd do any better in that situation, however, but Hagler was downed by a pull to the back of the head as he tried to maneuver out of the way. Underneath the weight of the pull, his leg slipped.

Hagler did not intentionally thumb Roldan either; he merely hit him in the right spot with the right punch.

6. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Hagler said after the match that he would seek to have Carlos Padilla's blown call of "a clean knockdown" overruled. I've never spoken to anybody who considers it anything other than a slip or shove, and everybody who's ever mentioned it is under the impression that it was indeed stricken from Hagler's official record.

7. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
  8. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Just watched this match a week or two ago.

I've never really seen anything that was ruled a knockdown being any less of one than this one was.

Roldan yanked him down by the back of his head/neck. That's about it.

9. Street Lethal

Street Lethal Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
  10. Hitman

Hitman Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Just watched the fight yesterday and it was definately a slip.

11. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    One of Dempsey's knockdowns of Firpo was relly thowing Firpo to the ground, round 2, shortly before Dempsey ko's Firpo. That was other bad call imo.

12. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hagler was slipping on the advert but as he fell Roldan clipped him... It could be called either way, the Marvelous one was fuming though!

13. bill poster

bill poster Guest

:fire He did look really pissed

14. Doc McCoy

Doc McCoy Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2006
    The more interesting thing about this fight is the alleged thumb in Roldan's eye. When they showed the replay of when it happened I tend to think, as Manassa suggested, Roldan got caught in the wrong place with a punch coming in. It was an uppercut from memory and caught him right on the point of the eye.

A lot was made of it at the time by Barry Tomkins who was commentating the fight for HBO but I don't see Roldan beating Hagler with 3 good eyes let alone two!

Oh yeah and it was an obvious slip. The referee erred.

15. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Hagler was pulled down by Roldan, and didn't hit the canvas as a result of the punch. Definite slip.