Harder puncher at 160 - Jones or GGG?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Oct 7, 2020.

Who hit harder at 160?

1. RJJ

2. It's a wash/i have no stones.

3. GGG

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    You sir are a fool. Jacobs has been stopped just once in 39 bouts. He has been floored just twice in his career. But he's chinny in your mind?

Get out of here, Dino. Comments like this lower the common denominator of the board.

I have serious question and please take it at face value as I do not want to insult the mentally handicapped or very young.

1 ) You you have a learning disability?

2 ) May I ask our age?

BCS8 likes this.
  2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    That is how I prefer to do it. You can reply to the questions I asked, which as you probably know corner you and make you look like a noob on boxing. We can ty again.

Let's take out Hopkins and Toney, two very hard guys to stop and compare the rest of Jones completion to GGG, and contest who has the higher KO%? Deal?

3. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Fail. . When Golovkin fought a higher class of opponent , his stoppage rate dropped to 0%. . Facts destroy you.

20 title fight? Fail again. Try 9.

The 10 bums he fought for that regular title were not ranked in the top 10.

For example-
    Kasim Ouma 29-14-1
    Milton Nunez 38-24-1

Soup cans

Lajuan Simon - just one fight after Golovkin he was bodied brutally by 44% stoppage rater J'eon Love

None of those WBA regular defences were of a high class.

And not all of his full WBA title defences were either.

147 Kell Brook did better than 160 Macklin and mandatories such as Dom Wade.

The guys Jones Jr stopped were of a much higher standard. Thats a fact.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Loudon likes this.
  4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    :facepalm:

Loudon likes this.
  5. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    Not in my mind. . Jacobs was known to be chinny.. Prepare to be demolished

Daniel Jacobs Glass chin on show

This content is protected

Danny Jacobs chin

Glass Jaw Danny Jacobs or Quillin must fight GGG

6. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Except for that Jacobs was fully hydrated for his fight with GGG and GGG was not. You know, facts.

7. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    :meparto::meparto::meparto:

Loudon likes this.
  8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No. You know full well that's not what I said. You need to apply context, which for some reason GGG super fans can't seem to do. A one punch KO in the eleventh round after failing to land anything on somebody, is a more impressive showing of power than grinding someone down and hitting them with endless power shots, before stopping them in ten.

And I hope one day you learn what an analogy is. The exacpmles are supposed to be ridiculous. That's whole idea, to show you how flawed your logic is.
    Bull****. He has nine title defences, not twenty. And even so, of those nine defences, three went the distance, two were smaller, another two were just plain **** and Rubio was old. Lemiuex is his ONLY KO win of note. And if we apply YOUR logic, he was stopped earlier by Rubio. So that must mean Rubio hits harder, right?

For someone who 'takes Toney apart', it'd sure be embarrassing if he couldn't stop those guys.
    Jones was 24-0 with 23 KOs at middleweight. That's 95%. Aka, higher than GGGs while facing better opposition. Even in their respective primes (say, before their losses for argument's sake), both were upwards of 80%.

So even despite KO rates not meaning anything, it's an area where Jones wins. And you literally just admitted a lower KO rate across their whole career is excusable by fighting on too long. So Jones' whole career KO% being lower than GGG's is excused.
    GGG's. It's a pointless exercise, feel free to enjoy your petty victory.

See above and below for the **** that really matters.

Learn about Gerald McClellan.

Still haven't replied to this. You said you would.

9. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Jones Jr was overall the harder puncher of the two.

Jones was great puncher at 160, 168 and 175 (until he lost his speed). Of course, Jones of late 00s and then 10s lost his impressive power.

Jones is that type of fighter whose power depended highly on his speed.

The other examples are David Haye and Herbie Hide.

Haye, a murderous puncher in his prime, couldn't do anything against Tony Bellew (who was later KTFO'd by Usyk). Compare that to prime Haye who brutally KO'd Chisora and hurt 320-lbs Valuev.

Hide has scored 41 KO in 42 wins, then only 2 KO's in his last 7 fights.

Maybe GGG had heavier hands than RJJ at 160 but Jones' punches were much quicker and sharper, his handspeed was insane.

Just like Vitali Klitschko had heavier hands than Haye, but Haye was better puncher overall prime4prime because of his great speed and reflexes.

10. m.s.

m.s. Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I think when it comes to one punch explosive power it goes to Jones. When it comes to consistent heavy handed bludgeoning it goes to GGG, both are great in there own way. Similar to what Martin Murray said.With both fighters its the whole package that makes them so effective. With GGG it's the elite skill, Pressure, Granite chin, and the painful punishing shots, and the hopelessness of knowing you can't hurt or slow this man down.That being said, Hills good chin had nothing to do with his KO loss to Jones, he took the head shots with no problems, it was the body shot that broke his ribs that did him in.

Golden_Feather99 and BCS8 like this.
  11. m.s.

m.s. Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I have seen this interview, and it makes sense. Both Jones and GGG are KO guys that go about their business differently.

12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Jones Jr. hit harder. Not real close to be honest. Triple G was more a accumulation of punches type. His relentless pressure he applied along with "heavy hands" opposed to dynamic power was the keys to his success.

George Crowcroft and Man_Machine like this.
  13. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    If you don't want to insult the mentally handicapped, don't bring it up. Simple. The fact that you made the caveat that you didn't want to insult shows you knew you were being offensive but you went on and did it anyway.

I'd quit this thread if I were you. You're getting a bit of a rinsing tbh which is fine as anyone can have a view that is different; it just makes it harder to argue the case. But with your 'correcting' of people, telling people they're 'wrong' simply because they (and nearly two thirds of the poll) disagree with you and now this jibe at the mentally handicapped, you're in danger, if the ship hasn't sailed, of coming across as a bit of a *****.

14. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Hard to tell, both have very different types of power. I think if both straight up hit you with one punch ggg would probably do more damage, Jones was a lot more effective because of his speed

Mendoza, Golden_Feather99 and BCS8 like this.
  15. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is pretty much how I see it. Jones had less power but applied it in a more effective manner, because he'd catch guys when they weren't set, either through his speed or through his technique.

Mendoza, Flash24 and Golden_Feather99 like this.