Harder puncher at 160 - Jones or GGG?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Oct 7, 2020.

Who hit harder at 160?

1. RJJ

2. It's a wash/i have no stones.

3. GGG

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    GGG actually does have a great power. The problem with you is that you are just a stats man who can't apply context to anything.

Loudon likes this.
  2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    IDIOT. I agree. What are you saying?

New flash, GGG had 20 defenses of World title belts, none of where were " regular title belts. "

Jacobs was not a world title belt holder, Golovkin offered a top ten rated guy a world title match.

GGG looked Jacobs, out landed him in 8 of the 12 rounds, and had one round even with punches landed.

BCS8 likes this.
  3. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes he does, and the video shows violent impact. His KO % is fantastic. He has also stopped many hard fighters to stop, usually faster than the field. Try that for context.

4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    This^

Castro would likely be Golovkin's best win, if GGG could pull it off. Backing Castro to beat Jacobs would be a no-brainer, in my opinion.

Loudon and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Sorry but you can't have 2 WBA Champions. Sturm/Geale were the Super (ie real not fake) WBA champion, while GGG was the fake WBA champion.

dinovelvet likes this.
  6. Loudon

Loudon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Put these above guys under the microscope in the Toney-GG thread.

Seeing as you don’t even rate Toney’s win over Tim Littles, (despite the fact that he’d recently beaten Frankie Liles) come and tell us what Rubio and Stevens did etc.

Your posts are ridiculous.

You can’t even give Toney credit for beating Nunn and McCallum, as they were close fights and that he was behind on the cards at the time of the stoppage.

So please explain to us all how beating an elite fighter in McCallum isn’t impressive, but beating Matthew Macklin IS.

dinovelvet and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    These are facts

Golovkin stopped 34 of his first 36 opponent with 18 of them being world title matches! 95% KO ratio, with 18 world title defenses. That is amazing, no one in the history of boxing can top it.

GGG overall KO % towers over Jones.

No come back as usual from you.

8. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I only referred to the part where you said GGG should be 10-0 (which I marked in bold) !!!

9. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I'm still waiting for you response on this. Let's et back to boxing...

Jones was 24-0 with 23 KOs at middleweight - George Crowcroft

Mendoza: FALSE. Look, Jones had at least two fights at super welter. How do those count in your #'s? Your not very well read. Also he went the distance with Castro and Hopkins at middle weight, so when you say 24- 0 with 23 Ko's ) Your including two non middle weight fights, and 2 ) your not listing one person at middle whom he went the distance with!

Your points have been exposed to be false, poorly researched and wrong.

Please explain to me where the BS 24-0, 23 KO'd come from, and while your at it? No ducking please. Also if you are honest, Jones fought many soft touches on the way up.

You reply to the above is?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  10. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Yeah, you love the stats.

You love facts too. But only when it suits you.

Well I’ve got some facts for you:

1. Roy Jones moved up 2 divisions and iced two 180 plus pound LHW’s with single shots.

2. GG hasn’t.

Until he takes out any top level SMW’s and LHW’s like how Roy did, then I’ll say that Roy hit harder.

A fighter’s KO percentage doesn’t allow for the quality of his opponents etc.

Roy proved himself more.

Bokaj and dinovelvet like this.
  11. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    George C: You're the one moving goal posts. The regular WBA title is complete bull**** and is basically an interim bauble which gets given our willy-nilly. It's like claiming Trevor Bryan is the current heavyweight champion. It's just bull****.

Mendoza, Read
    This content is protected
    . GGG has had it since 2010. I do not see the words "regular" attached to it. That's a fairly recent term in WBA lingo Lean anything now? The word regular is not in his titles.

And the WBA says he was their #1 champion since 2010, just like I said.

Now who has more title defenses for world middleweight belts, Toney or GGG. Ah, we know, Point proven.

George C: Typo. 22 KOs. It's still 95%.

Mendoza, more like mistake. A typo is in the spelling/ Did you take out the two fights at super welter that were Ko's before calculating?

George C: It must tear you up that Castro would be one or GGG's best wins. :lol:

Mendoza: I forgot to mention GGG defeated Ring Magazine's #10-rated middleweight Presoak (28–1, 21 KOs), SO add him to the list of top ten opponents fought. I don't agree with your opinion that Castro would be one of his best wins. He lost 11 times and has an inflated record in South American. In the USA, he lost almost ever time.

Now explain Toney's draw to a nobody, a fighter who was 2-7 in his last nine and his performance too Tiberi :) who GGG would have taken out early. Also I see lots of close James Toney fights, split decisions in his prime. Why?

George C: Poorly typed. Aside from that, they're bang on. In fact, the only one poorly researched and wrong is you, and your claims GGG that has 20 title defences.

Mendoza: Poorly typed? ,How about wrong. You still think he had nine title defenses. WOW

This source which is 100X better than you optinion clearly state GGG had 20 title defenses:

Rank Name Title Reign Title Recognition Successful Defenses Beaten opponents Fights
    10 years, 2 months, 18 days IBF, WBA, WBC, WBO 20 17
    8 years, 7 months, 4 days World 6 6

7 years, 11 months, 1 day WBA (Super), IBF, WBC 20 19

6 years,

And this one

When you think of modern boxing greats, "GGG" certainly pops up quickly in the mind. After knocking out Milton Nunez for the WBA Middleweight championship
    , Golovkin defended his belt 20 consecutive times before famously losing by majority decision to Canelo Alvarez in 2018.

George C: 18 lmao. You mean 8? And given just how poor that competition is, I'm not impressed.

Mendoza: Anyone can say that, and it's an opnion, but this isn't. GGG didn't stuggle like Toney did at middleweight until he was old.

George: I don't know. And honestly, I don't care. There was never a point where Jones wasn't on PEDs, if he was on them at all. So I'm taking that verison whether he was on PEDs or not.

Mendoza: Roids which Jones was on increases punching power. Yes he was on them, do you want proof? Even on the roids GGG was a better puncher at 160-168

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  12. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I think Roy is a better fighter, but not a better puncher. GGG tried to move up, Strum would not take that fight.

Yes facts often align with the truth, which is on my side for much of this thread.

Moving up with RODS means what he did has an *

Also fighters at 160 can be more durable than one at one 180. Taking GGG out, who has never been floored or hurt, I'll use Hagler as the example.

While they did not fight in the same time line we can compare power and the KO% vs top ten rated opponents in different timelines. GGG has the greater KO%.

13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    More stats without context.

Yes, Jorge Castro lost about 10 times. But he had about 140 plus fights, finishing his career at LHW and CW.

Curtis Stevens has lost 7 times in 37 fights.

Nobuhiro Ishida has lost 11 times in 40 odd fights.

Yet somehow these wins impressed you.

Bokaj and dinovelvet like this.
  14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Its you who are talking about the super middle weight division. You think the Super WBA belt means the super middle weight division.

I repeat , you think Golovkin was the full WBA champ because Geale and Sturm fought a Super Middle Weight.. And you question my intelligence? ! lol

Loudon likes this.
  15. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    It seems he revels in being a dishonest figure of ridicule. What a sad state of a human this guys is!

Loudon likes this.