Hardest Fighters to plan for?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Also with MMH (and Fury, who I mentioned above), you had to prepare for southpaw and orthodox.

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Very nice. Good study.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Songshadow

Songshadow Dogged & Relentless Full Member

Jun 24, 2019
    I think everybody on this thread had something great to say, and teach about winning a difficult fight.
    If I had both legs I would want to gather up all of these people, and house them in a movie theater, and we would watch every video we could find on my next opponent, and critique all of his weaknesses. Together we would build a battle plan, and a strategy on how to fight, and win the battle without getting hurt. That's how I would want to prepare for a fight.

4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Dunno, I think Tunney has given us the gameplan of slowing him with bodypunching. I'm not sure it'd be the plan as much as the execution that'd be the problem.

5. Ballista

Ballista New Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2019
    I've watched several Salvador Sanchez fights last week and the idea of ''how do you beat this guy'' came across my mind, so yeah here is one for you ;)

6. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    With Fitz, in fighting seemed to be his biggest weakness. But if that's your plan against a puncher and finisher if that calibre, good luck.

I think it's hard because there's no real template to beat him, other than being 40Ibs heavier with an iron chin, and there's so little footage and no similar fighters.

Plus his style varied a lot fight to fight.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  7. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Fitz indeed seemed to be worse inside than outside, but on the other hand look what he did to guys like Creedon or Sharkey - he just didn't give them chance to work inside.

Another thing is that he was a great thinker and strategist. Like Archie Moore, he adjusted during fight perfectly and used different styles against different opponents.

8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    1) Body shots, he'd slow down when he's not got the stamina he has normally and as a 6'9 (more like 6'7½) he'd be tall enough to open up there, whilst he's avoiding your punches to the head in the ropes in the early rounds, punish his liver (ffs don't even make the joke your going to) with a set up left cross and dig a nice Bolo Punch or hook to the belly and ribs

2) fight inside, he will join in
    Against Klitschko and Wilder he found himself battling inside when he didn't have to, he did this often before the Klitschko fight. A guy big enough to get inside but small enough to have the advantage (eg. Riddick Bowe) with a better chin, more power and strength plus smaller arms would give Tyson hell and Bowe could crack to the body as well

3) cut off the ring
    Pretty simple, apply pressure and use your feet to keep Tyson locked down and then use that position to implement steps 1&2.

4) land over hands
    Cunningham showed he's vulnerable to this, Time his jabs and then try to sneak an Overhand over one of them, if you miss you can clinch and get inside,
    Riddick Bowe (who I think is Tyson's worse match up) would be able to outjab Fury and set up that huge overhand right. If a CW like Steve can have Tyson on the street of dreams from one then Bowe can put him to sleep with it. Once it lands don't let the opportunity slip so keep pressuring as Fury on his toes doesn't really have the power to keep a prime Bowe honest

5) keep him pinned in a stance
    What I mean by that is expose a weakness of one of his stances, so if he goes Southpaw, fling right hands at him and keep his feet tangled so he can't outmanoeuvre you and that way you can keep doing what your supposed to be without worrying about him completely throwing everything askew

What not to do:
    Follow him, he'll cut you up with the jab
    Let him get in a rhythm, keep him busy with a steady jab
    Hold you behind the neck, pull your head back and put your weight in an uppercut to get him off
    Take rounds off, it's no guarantee you'll KO him, so keep doing what your doing and don't drop rounds you don't need to

Saintpat likes this.
  9. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    I have always thought Aaron Pryor would be a nightmare to fight, because of his ability to fight and box, and also his weird rhythm and unexpected punches.
    How do you set a game plan for him, when he is so unpredictable?

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Perhaps someone who could outwork his freakish workrate at 140? Like a Henry Armstrong

11. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Maybe. What a fight that would be!

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
  13. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Fury given his size, speed for such a big man, can fight southpaw and orthodox, can box off the front foot and back foot along with having superb ability to slip and slide shots.

Calzaghe, the southpaw who could both box and have a tear up whilst having the most ridiculous punch output and work rate.

Tyson - 220 pounds of hell just storming at you in his pomp. What a combination of speed and power combined with head movement and angles.

Aaron Pryor for reasons already mentioned.

Roy Jones simply because in his heyday he should've wore a cape. Ridiculous athleticism that for a period of time nobody could get remotely near.

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd say Pryor has a noticeably higher workrate. He was also probably quicker.

That said, I fully expect Hammerin' Hank to hammer him handedly (AKA. win by late TKO). Pryor wasn't exactly bulletproof and Armstrong's power is underrated, with Hank coming in at such a high pace, refusing to be moved back with that power digging into Aaron's head and body. If Pryor had Armstrong's chin, I'd pick him to win.

15. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Well there would have been then!